U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 PM

1,536 posts, read 188,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
Hustla, your knowledge of the Bronx is vast and descriptive.
May I ask you another question?
I am looking into Morris Park, specifically, the Indian Village (area surrounding Jacobi Medical Center). Closer to the Pelham Parkway 5 Train, what's the area like? I heard this is a relatively affluent part of the neighborhood. If so, how much further west, north, or south must you go before you run into trouble?
Never heard of "Indian Village" but I know what you are talking about. It's a decent area. In Morris Park, you just want to stear clear of the Van Nest area. West of Bronxdale Ave, also stay north of the tracks. Sacket Ave. Your good though, far from those borders. Also once you go north of Pelham Parkway, it gets starts to get sketchy west of Esplanade, well much more Williamsbridge Road, as Mead pointed out. You also want to stay south of Allerton to avoid "the valley".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrg View Post
Or Wyandanch; Roosevelt or Freeport LI

Hustla's knowledge of the Bronx is vast and essentially what he is saying is that virtually every area that has large numbers of Blacks or Hispanics are "dumps".

The notion that Castle Hill, Parkchester (even west of White Plains Rd) or Bedford Park (south of Bedford Park Blvd) are drug infested, crime plagued "ghettos" is just patently false.

I would be the first to admit that these neighborhoods are not crime-free nirvana's but for the price and proximity to Manhattan they offer some nice housing stock, good transportation and relatively low crime.

It is so clear that Husla is one of those stereotypical cops who ends up burned out, hating city life and counting the days till he can go "20 and out".

The truth is that if you want a large apartment for under $1500 a month and are willing to live within a mixed ethnic community with a crime rate similar to the "better areas" of virtually every other major city in the U.S., the Bronx offers a great alternative.
Welcome to Bronx county. The poorest urban county in the USA. Home to the largest concentration of the poorest ethnic group in the USA. I'm sorry but in the Bronx, the Black and Latino neighborhoods are not doing well. They are not nice places. There are exceptions, pockets in more mixed and White neighborhoods, but not overwhelmingly Black/Latin hoods. Over the years, a large percentage of the Bronx has become the hood.

First of all, Castle Hill is home to a huge amount of drug dealing and drug crime. It's a high drug activity neighborhood. There are only two sections of Castle Hill that are "better" off. One is brand new, built at the tip. About 2x2 blocks. The bad? It's surrounded by the Castle Hill projects, one of the worst and largest housing projects in the USA. It's also FAR from any kind of subway. Very far. It's brand new housing, mostly Latino/Black couples who wanted a better place to live then projects, tenements and run down houses. But it's affordable and still in the hood. Don't know how good that area will do in the future. The next pocket is the northeastern edge. East of Castle Hill Ave, north of the Cross Bronx. That area is borderline but still gets effected by the stuff in the neighborhood. It's decent compared to the rest of Castle Hill though.

Parkchester, the complex is not too bad. A bit run down, but nothing that bad compared to the rest of the Bronx. The area west of the complex is horrible. Drug infested. Archer, Thieriot, Taylor, horrible. The area south has the same problems, east of it is not to well off. East is Westchester Square, declineing. North isn't doing well either. Van Nest has declined a considerable amount. Van Nest really surprised me over the years.

Bedford Park, south of Bedford Park Blvd. DRUG INFESTED. E 194-96 are some the heavest drug spots in the country. Bedford Park area is declining, has a lot of bad blocks especially to the south with so so blocks mixed in. Norwood has good and bad blocks.

You don't know what your talking about. Bronx some good areas, but most are NOT. I deal with the stuff everyone tries to avoid. The Bronx has a very high crime rate in some areas too. Go to North Philly and Central Ward Newark then check out the South Bronx. See if you can find a difference because I can't.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-09-2007 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 37,917 times
Thumbs down You'll regret it

I'm sorry to hear that you're going to sign the lease for the apartment. This area is horrible!! I've lived all over the Bronx and this is the worst place I've ever lived in. If you're hispanic and like to buy expired foods around you, sure live here. If you like to be robbed, live here. If you like to stay awake until 3am because some ass wants to blast music, live here. If not, you're screwed. I've finally had it with the Bronx, I wouldn't suggest this area to anyone with a brain in his/her head!

Also, watch your back if you plan on walking around the Kingsbridge/Jerome area later at night (like after 10pm). There's been a gang of idiots accosting people for no reason, and one guy already died of it.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 PM

13 posts, read 56,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Welcome to Bronx county. The poorest urban county in the USA.
This has more to do with the way NY is broken into Boro's/Counties then anything to do with the Bronx being the sort of urban ghetto that you describe. Virtually every other big city is ONE county - and therefore mixes in the richer areas with the poorer areas more throughly in its 'statistics'. Have you ever been to North Philly or West Side of Chicago? - these places aren't even in the same universe in terms of poverty (or crime)

In terms of crime - again using murder rates which are recognized as the least capable of being manipulated, The Bronx has a rate comparable with most other cities its size (1.5M).

Quote:
Home to the largest concentration of the poorest ethnic group in the USA. I'm sorry but in the Bronx, the Black and Latino neighborhoods are not doing well.
Actually income and employment in the Bronx has risen faster then any other county in NYC and unemployment rate is essentially the same as the city as a whole.

Quote:
They are not nice places. There are exceptions, pockets in more mixed and White neighborhoods, but not overwhelmingly Black/Latin hoods. Over the years, a large percentage of the Bronx has become the hood.
I think that the above quote makes it clear that you conclude any predominantly black/hispanic area is by definition - a ghetto, drug and crime ridden and = bad.

Quote:
First of all, Castle Hill is home to a huge amount of drug dealing and drug crime.
Every neighborhood in this country is home to a "huge" amount of drug dealing - it essentially comes down to what is the definition of 'huge' and what form does the dealing take place - open and notorious vs. hidden.

Quote:
It's surrounded by the Castle Hill projects, one of the worst housing projects in the USA.
The projects in Castle Hill aren't even in the top 5 in NYC (in terms of Crime) much less the whole country - you just throw out $hit w/ no basis.

Quote:

Bedford Park, south of Bedford Park Blvd. DRUG INFESTED. E 194-96 are some the heavest drug spots in the country.
By what measure can you possible say this regarding Bedford Park (or any other neighborhood for that matter) - or do you concede that this is simply your opinion.

the reality is that virtually EVERYONE acknowledges that the Bronx - far from declining - it is having a resurgence in the last decade or so. Now if you are comparing it to the Bronx of 1950 your right - it has declined - but compared to 1977 or 1987 it is much, much better. And I dare you to find a single reliable source that disagrees.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
This has more to do with the way NY is broken into Boro's/Counties then anything to do with the Bronx being the sort of urban ghetto that you describe. Virtually every other big city is ONE county - and therefore mixes in the richer areas with the poorer areas more throughly in its 'statistics'. Have you ever been to North Philly or West Side of Chicago? - these places aren't even in the same universe in terms of poverty (or crime)
Well lets see then?

The Bronx county is the poorest urban county in one of the most, if not the most expensive city in the world. The Bronx also has the largest concentrations of low income housing, I also belive the Bronx has the largest concentration of low income public housing.

The Bronx also has the largest population of Puerto Ricans in the USA. The poorest ethnic group. Most living among each other in the South Bronx.

The South Bronx is also the poorest congressional district in the USA.

I also read a study Mott Haven was the poorest urban neighborhood in the USA. also according to the Census 2000 PUMS it sure is along with Hunts Point.

And yes I have been to North Philly, was thinking about moving to Kensington near that area. I have also spent a lot of time in the central Ward Newark, East Orange, Newburgh NY. Also visited D.C. and Baltimore. According to stats the Bronx is poorer, but they all seem the same to me. Although the Bronx does have more poor in comparison.

Quote:
In terms of crime - again using murder rates which are recognized as the least capable of being manipulated, The Bronx has a rate comparable with most other cities its size (1.5M).
That means nothing. Enough people get murdered in these lower income areas. Go to the 46/44 precinct. 20 people murdered a year in a square mile. Better then back in the days, 100+, but still bad.

Quote:
Actually income and employment in the Bronx has risen faster then any other county in NYC and unemployment rate is essentially the same as the city as a whole.
Income is rising slowly. It's not keeping up with inflation or the cities living cost. Unenployment lower, **** jobs are on the rise.

Quote:
I think that the above quote makes it clear that you conclude any predominantly black/hispanic area is by definition - a ghetto, drug and crime ridden and = bad.
No. There are real nice Black areas down south in cities like Atlanta. Or Cambria Heights Queens. The Bronx doesn't have nice heavy Black/Latin areas.

Quote:
Every neighborhood in this country is home to a "huge" amount of drug dealing - it essentially comes down to what is the definition of 'huge' and what form does the dealing take place - open and notorious vs. hidden.
These areas are well known drug corridors around the country. Even crimials in other cities know these corridors in the Bronx. 194/196/Watson/Randall/165/183/ect. You see street level dealing all over sections of the Bronx, but these areas are HEAVY. There are similar areas in other cities as well.

Quote:
The projects in Castle Hill aren't even in the top 5 in NYC (in terms of Crime) much less the whole country - you just throw out $hit w/ no basis.
The Castle Hill projects have improved some, but trust me they are one of the worst. Who said top anything. I have no stats to base this on, but on what I have seen, and I have been to MANY housing projects, they are very bad. It's due to their size and isolation.

Quote:
By what measure can you possible say this regarding Bedford Park (or any other neighborhood for that matter) - or do you concede that this is simply your opinion.

the reality is that virtually EVERYONE acknowledges that the Bronx - far from declining - it is having a resurgence in the last decade or so. Now if you are comparing it to the Bronx of 1950 your right - it has declined - but compared to 1977 or 1987 it is much, much better. And I dare you to find a single reliable source that disagrees.
It has improved but get real. You compare it to 1977, 1987. Those were even worse times for the Bronx but the same challenges remain.

Call me back when you actually work the street. Paper doesn't mean anything. Anyone with common sense can tell a good from a bad area. When you have a lot of concentrated poverty you will have problems. Bronx has a lot of concentrated poverty. It has a lot of bad areas. Use your head and stop reading the Times.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Well lets see then?

The Bronx county is the poorest urban county in one of the most, if not the most expensive city in the world. The Bronx also has the largest concentrations of low income housing, I also belive the Bronx has the largest concentration of low income public housing.

The Bronx also has the largest population of Puerto Ricans in the USA. The poorest ethnic group. Most living among each other in the South Bronx.

The South Bronx is also the poorest congressional district in the USA.

I also read a study Mott Haven was the poorest urban neighborhood in the USA. also according to the Census 2000 PUMS it sure is along with Hunts Point.

And yes I have been to North Philly, was thinking about moving to Kensington near that area...

And Yet as I said in another thread the Bronx is FAR FAR safer....

And lets look at Philly - since you like to paint with broad brushes and you say both Philly and the Bronx are mostly "Ghetto".

Philly - population = 1.4M
Bronx - population = 1.3M

Yet despite the fact that the Bronx is 'poorer' there were 155 homicides in the Bronx in 2006 and there were 406 homicides in Philly.

And the trend continues - YTD (July 1) there have been 57 homicides in the Bronx and 203 homicides in Philly.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
And Yet as I said in another thread the Bronx is FAR FAR safer....

And lets look at Philly - since you like to paint with broad brushes and you say both Philly and the Bronx are mostly "Ghetto".

Philly - population = 1.4M
Bronx - population = 1.3M

Yet despite the fact that the Bronx is 'poorer' there were 155 homicides in the Bronx in 2006 and there were 406 homicides in Philly.

And the trend continues - YTD (July 1) there have been 57 homicides in the Bronx and 203 homicides in Philly.
Have you ever even been to Philly? I doubt it. The worst areas are just like the South Bronx. It's all the same bull****. Homicide counts don't mean anything. I would take center city in Philly any day over the South Bronx. I would take an area like Pelham Bay any day over West Philly. And when it comes to the South Bronx and areas like North Philly. Same **** different toilet.

And yes the Bronx is mostly ghetto. More then half the borough is the slums. People get their ass beat, robbed, shot everyday in the Bronx and Philly.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Homicide counts don't mean anything.
To you - because it is clear you will not let facts interrupt your never ending crusade to label every poor and/or Black & Hispanic areas as crime ridden ghettos.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
To you - because it is clear you will not let facts interrupt your never ending crusade to label every poor and/or Black & Hispanic areas as crime ridden ghettos.
Okay so the South Bronx is a happy place. No poor and no people killing and robbing.

Sorry but I grew up in the hood. I am Black and Puerto Rican. The Bronx does not have nice Black/Latino neighborhoods. The best I have seen are small stretches, maybe 1-2 blocks max that are decent (and you find that in places like Philly as well). You want nice Black neighborhoods, go down south.

It's not racist or mean, this is a FACT.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM

563 posts, read 1,184,899 times
Quote:
Wait, are there still a lot of Puerto Ricans in the Bronx? I'm pretty sure that Dominicans and Mexicans have been upcoming, but Puerto Ricans are decreasing steadily, are they not? Or maybe I should re-visit the South Bronx again?

Old 07-09-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Wait, are there still a lot of Puerto Ricans in the Bronx? I'm pretty sure that Dominicans and Mexicans have been upcoming, but Puerto Ricans are decreasing steadily, are they not? Or maybe I should re-visit the South Bronx again?
There are more Puerto Ricans in the Bronx then any other Latino group. The Bronx also has the largest Puerto Rican population. Although PR's are shrinking in NYC they are stabilized in heavy PR sections of the Bronx. The South Bronx for example. Especially Mott Haven, Melrose, Longwood, Hunts Point. Pretty much everyone in those neighborhoods are Puerto Rican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City