U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2007, 03:23 AM

1,536 posts, read 306,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
So, I hate to bump an old thread, but I honestly feel the need to say something.

This thread is the most biased thing I have ever seen on this entire board. What Hustla718 spews is so unfair, calling it crap would be an injustice.

Thank you to fsrg for having truly remained levelheaded and having given useful responses, in spite of the heavy opposition.

I mean, Lord. I would like to leave the Bronx, but for different reasons. What Hustla says makes the Bronx look like an uncivilized jungle. Things are really not that bad everywhere in the Bronx - although it seems that to him, every single area is crime and drug-ridden. There are bad pockets, no one is saying no, but that is not true of every single area.

Wow. This is seriously upsetting.
There are good parts of the Bronx but not Fordham-Bedford. I made that clear.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 12:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 11,005,292 times
Quote:
What Hustla718 spews is so unfair, calling it crap would be an injustice.
Sorry but you are completely wrong.

I just read throught the entire thread and Hustla718 is 100% spot on. In fact, I will go even further and state that his knowledge of the Bronx, with the comparison of areas and precise focus on blocks, is impressively accurate. He obviously spends a good deal of time there and has observed it over the last two decades.

How do I know? I did 4 years in the Bronx at Fordham University and I did not sit around on campus all the time. I voraciously explored the surrounding areas. Even after I left, I continued to go back and still do if I am in town.

That was in the mid to late 80s. Fordham Road had hit the skids long before. Some of the blocks near Bedford Park Boulevard were still ok, but that has changed since then. Bedford Park and Norwood were great areas then- classic old style NYC neighborhoods. How that has changed. It breaks my heart to see the place slide into oblivion but it has.

Poe Park? People must be crazy. That place was a drug den in 1983. Now they have dog fights in there at night. I spoke to the caretake of the Poe Cottage and he was attacked by a pack of kids who smashed his bike over his body before the ran off with it.

Do yourselves a couple of favors. Listen to Hustla718, at least about the Bronx. I don't know him, but he is correct and then some. And do not live in any of the areas he says are crime ridden because they are. Its wishful thinking or denial if you think you can live there without consequences.

I love the Bronx and hope it comes back. But it ain't ready yet.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:54 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,977,882 times
Where do you live, Moth? It's funny how there are so many "experts" on this area who don't live there. I don't know how you get such an everyday intimate knowledge to be so sure that the area is sliding into "oblivion", especially when all the statistics say otherwise and the people who live there and know the area best are the ones who say the most positive things.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Where do you live, Moth? It's funny how there are so many "experts" on this area who don't live there. I don't know how you get such an everyday intimate knowledge to be so sure that the area is sliding into "oblivion", especially when all the statistics say otherwise and the people who live there and know the area best are the ones who say the most positive things.
I did 4 years in the Bronx and have continued to go up there since then. I reckon that gives me the proper credentials to verify what someone else is saying. All told, I have been observing the Bronx for 24 years now. My most recent visit was a few months ago.

As for sliding into oblivion, that process is largely complete with the exception of Riverdale, Country Club, Morris Park, City Island and a few other places. The Bronx's urban decay is actually very linear. It began in the South in the 1950s and has crept upwards/North ever since.

Most everything up to about 195th street was trashed by the time I arrived (1983). Bedford Park held on for a long time. Very impressive considering what is was up against. I'd say the turning point was in the early 90s when a cop was killed there. Of course, yes, there is still a major difference between Bedford Park and let's say Tremont.

Most of the Bronx, particularly the South and the area that is the subject of this thread, Fordham/Kingsbridge, is a slum and there is no two ways about that. Now, if gentrification is afoot, that's great. But its going to be some time before that is evident.

As for people who live there, well, I don't know them. Perhaps they have a false sense of security. Its not as if you get nailed right off the bat, but its likely to happen eventually. I knew several who attempted to live there and they all fled.

I trust that answers your question.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,977,882 times
No actually my question was where do you live? And in my opinion, spending 4 years inside the gates of Fordham 15-20 years ago does not qualify you as an expert.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:44 PM

54 posts, read 141,529 times
Default Bedord Park Area and Development

I feel that Hustla is way off point here. I lived in the bronx for 4 years as a student at Fordham (188th and Hoffman, 183rd and Beaumont, Fordham Rd. and Bathagte). My wife and I just bought a place in Bedford Park on e. 201st street. We couldn't be happier. We discovered this area northwest of Fordham AFTER we graduated and when we saw a reasonably priced 2 bedroom we jumped on it. My wife and I are both both young professionals and white. We don't feel out of place or unsafe. The Botanical Garden is a great thing to have 2 blocks away, the zoo is great, Mosholu Pkwy is lush and green for walking or just hanging on the grass, Van Cortlandt Park is only a bike ride away, the Jerome Resevoir is nice, not to mention proximity to Fordham for lectures and hoops and football games. Being a 5 minute drive to the best Italian eats in the City is a bonus too. THe Metro North being close is a benefit for the weekend $3 City-Ticket. But the D train at Bedford Park Blvd. is effecient and does a super express during rush hours. Even later, the D is fine. I come home at 10pm from work some nights and honestly do not feel threatened at all. In fact there is an ever increasing number of goofy white people getting off at Bedford Park Blvd. As to the progress in Bedford Park, there is construction everwhere, on 201st a new set of 3 family houses just went up, on Bainbridge there is a building going up, and up onthe Concourse near Tracy towers another building project is happening. Now this is not to say that there is not loud Spanish music once in a while, but the quality of life is comparable to other outer boro digs in much pricier Brooklyn and Queens, or even in N. Manhattan in Wash Heights. Withall this said, I still wouldn't want to walk at 3 am SOUTH of 198th street, but I wouldn't want to do that on 125th street in Harlem of 3rd Ave in PArk Slope/Red Hook Brooklyn.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,088,495 times
I'm gonna throw my hat into this circus here:

As far as delapadated NYC neighborhoods go, The Bronx as a whole has no equal with the exception of Brownsville-East NY. I have ridden the trains across the Bronx many times to get to points further north and I have even traversed Fordham on foot between the 4 train and the park.

There's no doubt the Bronx can be a bad place, but if your looking at it from a 1983-1987 precpective, of course it's going to be hell on earth. I think like the rest of the city, it's gone from totally unliviable to simply a bad neighborhood.

Personally, I was in the borough as recently as the 4th of July, and I can agree with the fact that Bedford Park and Norwood have completely fell apart. However, I can say that the areas around the stadium have stablizied.

I don't think the Bronx will ever truly gentrify. As Brooklyn continues to gain wealthy citizens, slowly but surley, the Bronx will become the last true bastion of low-income housing. I do however feel that the excellent rapid transit access and low cost could turn the very lower areas into something most people would consider decent.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:54 PM

7,903 posts, read 13,941,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
I feel that Hustla is way off point here. I lived in the bronx for 4 years as a student at Fordham (188th and Hoffman, 183rd and Beaumont, Fordham Rd. and Bathagte). My wife and I just bought a place in Bedford Park on e. 201st street. We couldn't be happier. We discovered this area northwest of Fordham AFTER we graduated and when we saw a reasonably priced 2 bedroom we jumped on it. My wife and I are both both young professionals and white. We don't feel out of place or unsafe. The Botanical Garden is a great thing to have 2 blocks away, the zoo is great, Mosholu Pkwy is lush and green for walking or just hanging on the grass, Van Cortlandt Park is only a bike ride away, the Jerome Resevoir is nice, not to mention proximity to Fordham for lectures and hoops and football games. Being a 5 minute drive to the best Italian eats in the City is a bonus too. THe Metro North being close is a benefit for the weekend $3 City-Ticket. But the D train at Bedford Park Blvd. is effecient and does a super express during rush hours. Even later, the D is fine. I come home at 10pm from work some nights and honestly do not feel threatened at all. In fact there is an ever increasing number of goofy white people getting off at Bedford Park Blvd. As to the progress in Bedford Park, there is construction everwhere, on 201st a new set of 3 family houses just went up, on Bainbridge there is a building going up, and up onthe Concourse near Tracy towers another building project is happening. Now this is not to say that there is not loud Spanish music once in a while, but the quality of life is comparable to other outer boro digs in much pricier Brooklyn and Queens, or even in N. Manhattan in Wash Heights. Withall this said, I still wouldn't want to walk at 3 am SOUTH of 198th street, but I wouldn't want to do that on 125th street in Harlem of 3rd Ave in PArk Slope/Red Hook Brooklyn.
There actually are some very nice apartment buildings around there. Around the bot. gardens.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 PM

1,536 posts, read 306,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
You guys are yuppies and just won't accept the reality. Jesus Christ. Okay you moved into the area and you want to encourage others too so the poor eventually get the boot. It ain't happening. You guys honestly have LITTLE knowledge on the streets of that neighborhood.

Moth is on point, it looks like he took the time to explore the dark side of the neighborhood and has observed it over the years.

Get over it, you live there, fine. However the area has it's problems.

Fordham Bedford, which I consider Fordham Road to Bedford Park Blvd is the hood, a strait up ghetto. Bedford Park Blvd to Mosholu Pkwy has a few good blocks near the pkwy, these are blocks with a lot of houses. The worst of the area is near Webster, tenement blocks and to the south near Bedford Park Blvd. Norwood which I consider Mosholu Pkwy to Van Courtland Park has pockets as well. The more decent blocks near Mosholu Pkwy, fully house blocks again, and the ****tier blocks up near Gun Hill Road or Webster. Overall the area is still declining in my eyes. Getting poorer.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
No actually my question was where do you live?
I live in DC (another place that has had a bumpy ride).

Quote:
And in my opinion, spending 4 years inside the gates of Fordham 15-20 years ago does not qualify you as an expert.
Of course it wouldn't. But as my first post clearly stated, that was not the case. I lived off campus in three different apartments -- Hughes Avenue and then East 186th street, both in Belmont and on Bainbridge Ave in, you guessed it, Bedford Park.

I thoroughly explored the borough on foot and could write a book with what I saw. And as I also stated, I continue to visit the Bronx whenever possible; at least 3 or 4 times a year, so my observations are quite current thank you. Hey, its a crazy place, but I love it. So it would seem your statement is wholly inaccurate.

But if you like living in BP and think it has a future, that's great. I hope you and the area flourish. When I was there, it was truly wonderful. And there is lots to do in the borough- Yankee Stadium, Guinness in Woodlawn, Arthur Avenue, City Island, the gardens and the Zoo, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City