U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 PM

72 posts, read 199,636 times

Advertisements

with all the apt. hunting i've been doing lately, I haven't been actively seeking any studio apts. (prob. because i've been avoiding them). I'm just really not interested in living in one room. but with my budget of $1100..i think i may have to consider it afterall

could anyone tell me how you liked living in a studio.
some questions to answer:

where was your studio? (manhattan, queens, etc)
was it just one room, L shaped, etc?
how much furniture were u able to fit? (a bdrm set only, bed & couch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:40 PM

155 posts, read 484,696 times
I've been a studio dweller since 1991. It's a 1 room (12x20) studio with separate kitchen in a post-war coop building. What my shoebox lacks in physical features it makes up for in amenities. It's in the Village has a concierge, and roofdeck.

Some advantages to living small are that it's less to keep clean, cheaper (housing costs, taxes). In my case personally --- I'm single and enjoy living alone. But I can certainly see how it could be tight for a couple.

Sometimes I have a deja-vu dream where I rediscover a secret room that triples my space and I wonder how I could have forgotten it. You don't have to be Freud to interpret that.

Some of the disadvantages would be that it's hard to have parties, and any renovation is a big deal because you don't have another room to retreat to.

If this thread proves popular, I could take some photos to show how I have it setup.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:00 PM

72 posts, read 199,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMachineStops View Post
I've been a studio dweller since 1991. It's a 1 room (12x20) studio with separate kitchen in a post-war coop building. What my shoebox lacks in physical features it makes up for in amenities. It's in the Village has a concierge, and roofdeck.

Some advantages to living small are that it's less to keep clean, cheaper (housing costs, taxes). In my case personally --- I'm single and enjoy living alone. But I can certainly see how it could be tight for a couple.

Sometimes I have a deja-vu dream where I rediscover a secret room that triples my space and I wonder how I could have forgotten it. You don't have to be Freud to interpret that.

Some of the disadvantages would be that it's hard to have parties, and any renovation is a big deal because you don't have another room to retreat to.

If this thread proves popular, I could take some photos to show how I have it setup.
thanks for your response. (& the bolded LOL)

may i ask how much furniture you're able to fit in there?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 PM

155 posts, read 484,696 times
I just threw together a little panorama.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio apts. under alt=,000....do u like it?-imgp3693.jpg  

Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 AM

8,000 posts, read 18,349,237 times
If you concentrate your search in pre war buildings you can probably find a studio apartment that is bigger than most 1 br's that can be made quite comfortable with a little ingenuity.
The studios in my building are around 600 sq ft.I have seen many ,many 1 br's that are smaller and some 2 br's that aren't much bigger.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:38 PM

27,459 posts, read 28,095,455 times
I live in a studio apt. in Queens. It is extremely large. I have a full sized bed, a sofa, dining room table & chairs, a desk, tv stand, dresser and a lot of space to spare! The main room is big enough to partition with some of kind of fake wall or screen into 2 separate rooms if one wishes to do so. There is small kitchen and a large hallway which is big enough to put small table with chairs. (In the past I lived in similar apt. where the hallway was narrower & kitchen large enough for a small table.) There are 3 closets and a bathroom.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:19 PM

6,768 posts, read 11,293,986 times
I live in a 20x20 studio on Long Island. I don't hate it, but obviously if I could afford something bigger, I would want that...but it is fine for me, just a single person. I have an L-shaped. I have a full-size bed, dresser, tv stands, large TV, loveseat, endtable, small desk w/ computer (ikea!), small table, small kitchen area, bathroom and 2 enormous closets.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 AM

93 posts, read 234,264 times
chava what area of queens?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 25,847,967 times
Default machine stops

i too have had a studio since 1991. In Riverdale, the bronx. First one was large for a studio and had a seperate kitchen with 2 countertops (nice), this current one doesn't have that but instead has a huge walk in closet

Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 AM

115 posts, read 326,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPooch167 View Post

where was your studio? (manhattan, queens, etc)
I used to live in a studio in Jersey City (was expensive though, $2150/mo, plus I had storage in the building at $200/mo, so total $2350/mo rent). I've since moved to a 1BR in Hell's Kitchen for $2500/mo and no storage.

Quote:
was it just one room, L shaped, etc?
This one had a large entry hallway, a separate pass-thru kitchen, a main room, and then a little hall leading to the bathroom. The hall leading to the bathroom had a large closet, the entryway had two. There was also a washer/dryer combo in the unit.

Quote:
how much furniture were u able to fit? (a bdrm set only, bed & couch?
Well, I didn't buy much furniture for it, I bought most of my furniture when I moved here. But I have a loft bed, so that improved things significantly. I pretty much just had that, a dresser, all my computer gear (yes, I'm a total geek), and a home entertainment center (largish). I could have fit in my couch that I have now and a coffee table without too much hassle.

All this was in 585sqft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City