U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 05:25 PM

213 posts, read 458,069 times

Advertisements

We're driving from the SE U.S. to New Haven, CT via I-95 and are afraid we're going to hit NYC traffic around 4pm Monday. Should we be prepared to be sitting in stop & go traffic? Is there a better route? Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 34,674,838 times
if i were u i would be more worried about rush-hour traffic when u hit dc....that is a complete mess.....please try to hit dc no later than 2 or 3 pm otherwise u will be stuck for hours....where are u leaving from?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-19-2009, 06:25 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,417,231 times
I can agree with seventhfloor in saying that you need to watch out for DC traffic, since it can be a pain in the neck.

If you're headed to CT, there are a couple of points to worry about during rush hour. The first hurdle is the Hudson Crossings, since both tunnels and the GWB can be nightmares or easy, depending upon the day, weather, whether or not there is a Yankee game, whether or not there is an accident, etc. The second hurdle is I-95 in Connecticut, which can be bad from Greenwich until well past Darien during rush hour.

If the Hudson crossings are bad, get off the Turnpike at the Garden State Parkway. Take the GSP north to New York, crossing into NY around Nanuet, and then take I-287 across the Tappan Zee Bridge, which should not be as bad because traffic will be bad in the opposite direction at rush hour.

To avoid the issues on I-95 in CT, I recommend getting on the Hutchinson Parkway from I-287, heading north, which turns into the Merritt Parkway in CT. Th Merritt parallels (roughly) I-95 to New Haven when it changes direction to parallel and then end at I-91, and while there can be higher traffic volumes, it's restricted to passenger cars only, so no commercial vehicles and no trucks, which does tend to keep things flowing better.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:02 PM

We should hit D.C. around noon (1pm at the latest), so we're not too worried about that. We're actually wondering if it would be worth the extra miles to catch 287 SW of the city and take it over to Merritt Parkway. Maybe we're too worried about this traffic?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
You're going to pretty much hit traffic no matter where you go in the NY metro area

Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,417,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAVacation View Post
We should hit D.C. around noon (1pm at the latest), so we're not too worried about that. We're actually wondering if it would be worth the extra miles to catch 287 SW of the city and take it over to Merritt Parkway. Maybe we're too worried about this traffic?
There's less of a chance of a backup on 287, but the GSP to 287 will save you some time, though the toll plazas can slow down traffic. If the GSP is bad, or if you don't want the extra tolls, I'd take 287 if the Hudson Crossings are bad, and/or if the Cross Bronx is really bad (since it's almost always bad).

Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 AM

Default Thanks!

We made it! Things didn't slow down until we hit the George Washington Bridge. After that, it was slow, but traffic was moving. Then it was off & on in CT until about exit 14. Overall it was better than we expected! Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City