Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 PM

49 posts, read 132,034 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if they've stopped hiring from this list or if there's a hiring freeze in place at this time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:33 AM

78 posts, read 108,443 times
After I got that message stating that they would no longer send out paper canvass letters and now send them by email, I have received ZERO emails.

What was even the point of this exam?

Old 05-23-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplanet321 View Post
After I got that message stating that they would no longer send out paper canvass letters and now send them by email, I have received ZERO emails.

What was even the point of this exam?
And here I was thinking that I was the only one not being canvassed. I even checked to see if my name was still active on the list. I was really having doubts.

I have no idea what's going on with this thing, but something isn't working or coordinating the right way. It's been almost a year since the list came out and there hasn't been a whole lot of activity.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:51 AM

78 posts, read 108,443 times
I got a canvass letter from NYSIF. So the consensus here is that its bad right?

Old 06-04-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplanet321 View Post
I got a canvass letter from NYSIF. So the consensus here is that its bad right?
I got one, too - White Plains, I think it was. No, there's not really any consensus. I don't care much for them and there's one other poster that has had problems dealing with them in the past, but that's no consensus. You might find that it's a great place to work with a lot of good people. Everyone has a different situation and a different outlook/attitude on things. Even if I did like them, I wouldn't want to travel to White Plains every day. It's not practical or convenient for me.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 AM

This has got to be the absolute worst civil service exam and process I've ever gone through. NYS seems to be flush with revenue and they're doing next to no hiring from this list. Yet, in a year or two they will offer this bulls**t exam again and 10 to 15 thousand more people will be suckered into taking it.

Save your money and do something more productive with your Saturday morning, folks. Take a civil service exam that will actually lead to a job.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,326 times
Got the call, the interview, and the job -- along with many canvass letters. As a man thinketh, so is he....

Old 07-20-2015, 07:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordprot View Post
Got the call, the interview, and the job -- along with many canvass letters. As a man thinketh, so is he....
It's definitely a crummy process but some people do get hired. I always advise people to do it as a backpocket kind of a thing though. Don't bank on getting a state civil service job.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordprot View Post
Well, I'm not doubting the veracity of your post but I think the correct order is as follows:
Got the canvass letter, got the call, got the interview, got another call, got the job.

In any case, congratulations. I really do think, however, that many more people will relate to
my experience - and I scored 100. I've chosen Long Island, the five Boroughs of NYC, and
Albany as places I'd consider for employment. I can honestly tell you that there haven't
been many canvass letters sent over the past year. I even checked to see if my name
was still active on the list because of the dearth of canvass letters being sent.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's definitely a crummy process but some people do get hired. I always advise people to do it as a backpocket kind of a thing though. Don't bank on getting a state civil service job.
It's, without question, the worst process that I've been through. Your advice is both wise and
sound, NooYowkur81.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City