Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 11,910 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm new on the forum. Thanks for reading! Here's my situation:

I've been living with my boyfriend for 3 years. We currently live in Marble Hill (which, for those who aren't familiar with the area, is the northernmost neighborhood in Manhattan). Our lease expires in October and we have both agreed to move at that point, but it seems to be the only thing we are agreeing on.

We currently pay $1,318 for a two-bedroom and are hoping to stay in that range. My boyfriend works near Union Square.

We have a 75-pound dog, and want to find an apartment very close to a dog run--not a park with off-leash hours, but a full-time dog run.

Now, here is where the disagreements abound, and I thank you for reading this far: My boyfriend loves being near green space, and he wants to move south to Inwood or north to Riverdale in the Bronx, in order to be closer to either Inwood Hill Park or Van Cortlandt Park (right now we are about a mile away from each, smack in the middle). I, on the other hand, was thinking we could move to someplace like Astoria (or elsewhere) where his commute would be much shorter and we would have the possibility of a little patch of private outdoor space. Also, safety is the number one issue for me, as I am a tiny woman. My football-player boyfriend doesn't seem to think this is a big deal, but for me it is. I want to feel okay going out alone.

So I guess our perfect place would be:
- In a very safe neighborhood
- No more than $1,400
- Near a dog run
- Near a large park
- Has some private outdoor space
- Quick transportation

Sorry for the long post, but apartment hunting can be so frustrating. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by aLiLa; 07-20-2009 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
You're each going to have to give something up for a good compromise. Lose the quick transportation part and you'll probably have a better chance of finding something safe, green and cheap. But when you add in the enormous dog your chances will go down.

I say look in both places and see what turns up.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Having lived in both Inwood and Park Slope, Brooklyn, I'd suggest looking in the neighborhoods around Prospect Park. It's significantly closer to Union Square than Inwood or Marble Hill. Park Slope and Prospect Heights are the most expensive but you might find something you can afford in Windsor Terrace, Kensington, or in the Prospect-Lefferts Gardens section of Flatbush. Prospect Park does not have a dog run, but it's a marvelous park--expansive, beautiful, full of people without being too crowded, lots of dog walkers and dogs off leash, and not too many creepy or isolated places. Inwood Hill Park has more a wilderness feeling to it, except for the playing fields. It's beautiful but a lot of people don't feel safe by themselves in the forested part. The nice thing about that part of Brooklyn, as compared to Inwood and Marble Hill, is there's a lot to do there--it's loaded with cafes, restaurants, the museum, BAM, movies-- lots of stuff. In Inwood, what is there to do? You're always faced with the long ride downtown to do anything.

Consider also Jersey City--neighborhoods off Grand Street-Jersey Ave are nice, more affordable in general than NYC, and a walk from Liberty State Park which is a huge, beautiful, new park that's been taking shape since the '70s on what was once the railyards of the Jersey Central Railroad. Then the PATH train takes you right into downtown Manhattan or Greenwich Village/Chelsea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City