Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:21 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
No city is the center of the universe--power and influence is too widely spread for an actual center. Claiming NYC is influential and important is one thing. Claiming it's the center of the universe is simply being out of touch.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
No silly, we're just having fun.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 AM

214 posts, read 1,005,103 times
If Wall Street bankers are the masters of the universe, then NYC is at the center. </sarcasm>

Old 07-29-2009, 06:24 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
For a while London was the white hot center of finance, but now that things are on more national level I suppose NYC regains it's prominence.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 34,281 times
Without thinking too hard...I must say that this "problem"...wherever it is (New York, LA, Seoul South Korea, Jackson Mississippi, Chamberlin South Dakota) is born out of the pyscology of what people call HOME.

Where people live, assuming they like it, is going to be home to them. The longer they've been, the more memories they've created, in a sense the more they LIKE IT...the more it is the CENTER OF THEIR UNIVERSE.

We are simple creatures in one particular way: We like to justify current life choices so that we can feel good about ourselves day in and day out.

With New York and all it's many advantages, this would seemingly reach catastrophic levels as New Yorkers fall deeply in love with this magical place holding so many unique advantages. It would then be easier to declare New York "THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE"...they are so proud if it and furthermore, they call it home.

You don't crap where you eat. Famous phrase for not boning co-workers, but it works for anything where you in a sense COMPLICATE the STAPLES of your DAILY LIFE where the emphasis is on ease and convenience of living. Boning a co-worker would be a massive complication for something you need to maintain a level of ease and convenience with.

Likewise, Day dreaming and wishing of Paris or Augusta, Maine while you live in New York...would complicate your every day life in New York which for most people is predicated on what else: ease and convenience.

Obviously, there are problems with New York as there are problems with any place. And to each person the problems are completely different. Sometimes the problems are so much, that people desire nothing more than to leave.

My Point is that anyone making a decision to call a place home is bias. They often stop thinking critically and attempt to justify where they live and forget about any problems that may exist...Acting like it's the Center of the Universe.

Probably because they think they are.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,109 times
In this Internet age where everybody is connected globally that perception has weakened

Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM

236 posts, read 389,959 times
LMAO!!!!! So very funny and true. I am leaving NYC and I hear comments like this all the time. I love NYC to, but Im just sick of it.

I believe NY has its perks but it also has its downfalls. If you love it here, good for you, if you want to leave then good luck!

The fact of the matter lots of people want to come here and I think that clouds NY residents judgements into thinking NY is the best.

But if you can make it here, you will make it anywhere. NY can get you to survive though a storm, but teach you how to appreciate life somewhere else!

NYC in my heart, Texas in my future!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Because New York City is so cosmopolitan, for various reasons like politics a la the UN, Media and economics, average joe considers new york city the center of the universe

Old 07-31-2009, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 14,432 times
New York is the center of the multiverse. Don't hate the stadium, hate the game.....

Old 07-31-2009, 11:53 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,165 times
I think NYC is the center of the universe and I am the core that makes it what it is. It's a role I've learned to accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City