Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVBABY View Post
hola

im a young female looking for an apartment. ive been looking in queens, bk and the bronx. i recently came across this property and fell in love.....

please leave your opinions
Not really surprising that you would have this reaction to that building.
601 Pelham Parkway North was designed by a noted NY residential architect, H.I. Feldmam and it is considered one of his masterpieces.It is also considered one of the best(top 2 or 3) Art Deco apartment buildings in The Bronx,which has the best collection of Deco buildings in the country.H. I. Feldman's New York Buildings

The outside has a lot of interesting features but the inside is truly stunning.The huge mosaic tiled lobby and the WPA animal mosaic mural on it's walls are breathtaking. I went on a Bronx Trolley tour of Art Deco buildings last year that was attended by a board member of The Art Deco Society of New York.When she saw that building she flipped out and asked to be put on a waiting list for a 2 br apartment.
1 bedrooms for $120K, and more!
Problem is that 2 br's almost never get to the market for that building because people already in the building grab them. Supposedly there are a number of people in the building buying adjoining apartments and combining them too. This happens a lot in better buildings in Manhattan but is quite rare in The Bronx.

It is one of the best buildings in The Bronx and the apartments are stunning,with great views of the park from every apartment and the midtown skyline from the upper floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
It seems like a nice building, in a decent area, that is affordable and near the subway. All trains have delays at times even in Manhattan.

If you like it better than other areas that you have checked out, and the price is good for you, go for it.

I checked it out online and the apts are gorgeous. Are there really any left? If there are, I'm sure that they won't be available for long.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 PM

187 posts, read 674,663 times
To the OP: howdy, potential neighbor! I, too, live in Pelham Parkway, except I'm to the east of White Plains Road, south of the Parkway. It's a decent area, a bit of a hidden gem. There isn't much I can add that Bluedog hasn't already covered, but there are a couple things. Lydig Avenue-- not far from where you'll be-- has a lot of decent takeout places, including a burek place that the Village Voice always praises, a "light cuisine" place where you can build your own salads, a coffee shop/diner I really like on Lydig and Cruger, and a really good pizza place on the corner of Lydig and Holland (the spinach pizza is especially tasty). There aren't a lot of fancy sit-down places to eat in the neighborhood that I know of, but, well, that's what Arthur Avenue is for.

I will mention, since no one else has brought it up yet, that there is a housing project on Pelham Parkway North to the east of WPR. However, I really wouldn't let that scare you away. The Pelham Parkway PJs aren't exactly known for being a hotbed of criminal activity.

All in all, it's a decent 'hood. You might want to move in soon, though. My rent has started going waaay up, and I have to assume the trend applies to most buildings in the area with apartments for rent. It'd be kind of funny if I wound up moving to Brooklyn because the Bronx got too expensive.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,408 times
you all have provided a nice insight into the neighborhood, most times ive been back i've been able to find parking but was wondering if there was a newer building nearby offering monthly parking? or other parking options?

went back to the bx this weekend, spoke to ppl in the building and confirmed my interest in moving into the building. went to the park again, had a nice time. went over to fordham rd for some shopping, then went over to mott haven on cypress ave for some pio pio sangria (if u havent had this u need to)...definitely like this borough a lot, id like some more insider tips as far as restaurants and bars and activities...fill me in!! thanks all

Old 08-11-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,393 times
My thanks to Bluedog2 for complimenting my father's design for 601 Pelham Parkway. I am the aged daughter of H.I. Feldman, (Hyman Isaac Feldman). For the past decade I have been laboriously compiling a list of the buildings he designed or made plans for their alterations. With Bluedog's permission I will quote and cite on my list what he wrote about my father's work for 601 Pelham Parkway.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Feel free,Naomi. I hope you clicked onto the link in my earlier post.It has a lot of pictures of other buildings designed by your father including The Bronx Flatiron Building. 601 Pelham Parkway also has a distinctive triangular(flatiron) shape at the corner of Pelham Parkway and Bronx Park East.Here is the link again if you haven't seen it.

H. I. Feldman's New York Buildings

Have you ever been inside or seen pictures of the interior?

Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,393 times
Dear Bluedog2,

Both Stuart Brorson, who shows several of my father's buildings at his website, and Carter B. Horsley, of the online "City Review" assert that my fatther was the architect of the Bronx's Flatiron building, and so did, until a few days ago, when I corrected the same assertion at "Flickr.com " by someone who labels himself as "JAG9889" and by NYCmiri (Miriam DeLeon) who wrote a nice description of the building at 365 Project.

As I have recently learned that my father, (H.I.Feldman) was NOT the architect of the Bronx's "Flatiron" building, once known as "Mt. Hope Court," the address of which was 1882 Grand Concourse The builder/architect was Otto Schwarzler, according to Gary Hermalyn and Robert Kornfeld, "Landmarks of the Bronx." The authors of this book said Otto Schwarzler was the architect, but according to the New York Times, Otto was a builder. Several NYT articles say that the Schwarzlers were builders in the Bronx and elsewhere in the city, but the Times noted only one of them as an architect.

Since I learned that my father was not the Bronx's "Flatiron" building's architect, I've been running around the Web trying to correct the assertion that he was.

And no, alas, I've never seen the building's interior, nor, for that matter, have I seen in person any of my father's Bronx buildings. Not having taken much interest in my father's work when he was alive, I know his buildings in the boroughs and environs of New York City mostly through the research I've done in compiling a list of them as best I can.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:35 AM

Since there seems to be a conflict of opinion I wouldn't accept the book author's opinion without seeing their documentation.They might be the ones who are wrong.
I have no way of knowing for sure but the funny thing is that the flatiron building looks and feels like it was designed by your father.
I have never seen a building designed by Otto Schwarzler so I can't compare it to other buildings designed by him but it I can compare it to other buildings desgened by your father and it looks like his work. And some people in my neighborhood call 601 Pelham Parkway "the Pelham Parkway flatiron building" because of it's similar wedge shape when viewed from Bronx Park or from the Bronx River Parkway.It has a big plaque at the sharp corner which says it was designed by your father.
http://thumbs.trulia.com/pictures/th...22f259b210.jpg
http://thumbs.trulia.com/pictures/th...af1334eeef.jpg

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-22-2009 at 06:01 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Actually, IIRC, the Bronx "Flatiron," Mount Hope Court, dates to 1914. And, I believe that Naomi's distinguished father, H.I. Feldman, did not begin his career until the 1920s, so the authors of Landmarks of The Bronx are correct, since the building was owned-developed by the Schwarzlers.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I have never lived in an area of the city where whatever graffiti goes up(relatively little) is cleaned up so fast.The city actually cleans it up very quickly if you report it...usually within a few days.It does seem to be a little worse up by Waring Avenue and to the North of there and on the blocks to the East of White Plains Road but is practically non existent around Pelham Parkway ,Reiss Place,Thwaites Place and Mace Avenue off of Bronx Park East,Barker and Olinville Avenues.

I don't have a car all the time but have had borrowed or rented vehicles from time to time and have always found parking either right outside my building or along Bronx Park East . It seems like most of the spaces around the neighborhood empty out during the day and they don't fill back up until 7:00 or 8:00 in the evening.If you use a car to go to work and get home on the early side you will almost always easily find a spot.If you come home late in the evening... after 8:00 or 9:00 ,it can be a problem but even then you can usually find a spot within 3 or 4 blocks.There must be a lot of people in the area who go away every weekend because even in Winter there are a lot more empty spaces at all hours on Saturdays and Sundays.
Friends who have cars and come to visit are usually amazed that they park right outside my building.

The subway service has actually gotten a lot better in the last few months.I think there were problems for quite a while because of track work going on all along the line and there were frequent weekends where you would have to get a bus for part of the trip.All of that seems much better now.
I agree with you in the parking situation. In the summer, many of the residents (especially the Puerto Ricans) tend to go away, whether it's to Orchard Beach or even out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City