Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 40,797 times

Advertisements

I've been browsing craigslist to find a relatively affordable 2 br. apartment in either Manhattan (such as Morningside/Harlem) or Brooklyn and although I prefer to deal with the owners of the apartments straight up, I've seen a few listings by brokers that I'm interested in. Would people say that it is worth it to deal with brokers or should I not even bother? Does anyone have personal experience or knowledge? I'm afraid of getting gypped with hidden fees and what not. Also, are there some brokers that are better than others? I suspect some on craigslist are fake, but it's hard to differentiate since I'm not familiar with New York. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Lots of owners are so desperate that they are paying the broker's fees. That way you get the best of both. This was unheard of until very recently.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Are you talking about buying or renting ?
In either case,you probably have a much wider selection going through a broker.
Money wise it can go either way... especially with purchases. I have seen people think they were getting a better deal by buying directly from an owner only to find out that they paid too much. I know in my building,the brokered apartments tend to be realistically priced while the "by owner" apartments tend to come on at very inflated,unrealistic prices.Be careful either way and know the market you are trying to buy or rent in. Don't assume too much either way.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:58 AM

19 posts, read 87,911 times
Mate, if you are talking about renting in NYC, this is your time! I moved here 6 weeks ago from Australia and worked the brokers like crazy for my first week, getting in the end a high-end 1 bedroom in Mid-town for $1K less then it was advertised, with broker fee paid by the owner. It was not a fluke - my second choice apt was as good and the owner was willing to pay all of the above plus pick up the condo application fees (high 800$). Arguably, I was looking at the higher end of the market (eg $4K+) and this is where they struggle a lot to get decent tenants in the door.

I was told by quite a few people that the lower end of one-bedrooms in decent parts of Manhattan hasn't yet suffered as much and there is still plenty of competition, but one can easily manage to either negotiate a better deal on the rent or lower broker fee or even pay broker’s fee over the 12 months of lease as oppose to paying it upfront before the move-in. This is all based on first-hand experiences of my colleagues in the office in the last few months.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
Mate, if you are talking about renting in NYC, this is your time! I moved here 6 weeks ago from Australia and worked the brokers like crazy for my first week, getting in the end a high-end 1 bedroom in Mid-town for $1K less then it was advertised, with broker fee paid by the owner. It was not a fluke - my second choice apt was as good and the owner was willing to pay all of the above plus pick up the condo application fees (high 800$). Arguably, I was looking at the higher end of the market (eg $4K+) and this is where they struggle a lot to get decent tenants in the door.

I was told by quite a few people that the lower end of one-bedrooms in decent parts of Manhattan hasn't yet suffered as much and there is still plenty of competition, but one can easily manage to either negotiate a better deal on the rent or lower broker fee or even pay broker’s fee over the 12 months of lease as oppose to paying it upfront before the move-in. This is all based on first-hand experiences of my colleagues in the office in the last few months.

Good luck!
Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I'm actually looking at renting and at no-fee apartments. Do you think I'll still get to negotiate a better deal on the rent even though the fee is already paid by the owner?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
It used to be very hard to find a good rental in NYC without a broker.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Brokers are a necessary evil in a lot of places in the city, mainly Manhattan.. But in the outer boroughs if you can avoid them you get a much better deal working with the owners or the management company directly.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM

72 posts, read 240,554 times
im currently searching in queens and dealing with both owners and brokers. I found some brokers who are offering a percentage off the brokers fee. Something i wouldnt have known if i hadnt called and made an appt. I really dont want to work with a broker, or pay the fee. but man...it's kinda easier right now for me to have a variety of options at once.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM

It looks like I'm probably going to go with a broker. To protect myself and my information, what type of information is a broker allowed to ask for? I know they need to do a credit check, but do they have to have my social security number and/or bank information? I was looking a broker's website and it says that I need to provide my bank information in order to apply for any of their apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City