Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:38 PM

186 posts, read 220,088 times

Advertisements

At what price point do people start to revolt over the ever rising cost of commute in the city.
Monthly bust is $118 and looking very likely to get raised again in the near future.
Given the monopoly they have on the city there is no way any other start up could compete with them to help bring prices down and service up.
Is this how MA Bell had the system rigged in its Hey Day ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 06:25 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
They're supposed to rise every 2 years, and while yes they're 'high', it's still cheaper than driving. It's also a flat $2.75, which is nice given it can take you very far. I'm also not sure how a start-up could possibly do anything here, MTA is a union controlled government agency.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:08 PM

186 posts, read 220,088 times
Yeah it was a flat 1.50 at one point as well.
When it hits 5 dollars will we be saying well it is a flat $5 that can get you very far.

I just feel because of the monopoly they can continue to raise cost without anyone seeing any visual representation in terms of improvement to stations or transit for that matter.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
There's inflation. Do you get the same wage forever? Or do you get a raise every so often?

Do you think pizzerias should charge less? Because the cost of a slice has historically been pretty close to the cost of a subway fare.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
I think we New Yorkers should start boycotting the MTA whenever possible. Especially if they try another fare hike.
I'm totally serious.
Try to carpool with a friend, take a car service or taxi to work and split the fare with people, take a dollar van, walk rather than ride the subway or bus a few stops.

We have to hit the MTA in their pocketbook, otherwise they will keep raising fares!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
All fare hikes will simply go to increased costs of employee wages, pensions, benefits.

And unfortunately, in today's environment, when things hit that so-called boiling point - instead of standing up to unions gouging public money - the middle class and upper middle class will pay more, the poor will be further subsidized.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
If people weren't such slobs they wouldn't have to do FAST TRACK on the weekends and weeknights causing trains to not run normal and waste money on it. But since people can't throw their trash in the garbage and they do on the tracks they must clean the tracks.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I think we New Yorkers should start boycotting the MTA whenever possible. Especially if they try another fare hike.
I'm totally serious.
Try to carpool with a friend, take a car service or taxi to work and split the fare with people, take a dollar van, walk rather than ride the subway or bus a few stops.

We have to hit the MTA in their pocketbook, otherwise they will keep raising fares!
The less money they make, the more they're going to have to raise fares- that's how a government public benefit corporation works.

Resolve could come through automation of technology which can downsize their workforce a bit.
The MTA is slow to adapt to that and not at all consumer friendly.

In my eyes, the MTA's mismanagement will eventually break. There will come a tipping point where costs are so absurd, and some kind of infrastructure will need replacing.

Either the fed will bail them out with money and/or reforms, or the system will just go to complete hell.

It is the most horrific money pit, and backwards transit system I've ever ridden in the USA or abroad.
New Yorkers should be mortified.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:56 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Resolve could come through automation of technology which can downsize their workforce a bit.
The MTA is slow to adapt to that and not at all consumer friendly.
The MTA wanted to eliminate motorman jobs on the L train line, since the train is fully driverless. Of course the union said... NO. So some of this stuff is not up to the MTA.
Most of the issues come from the fact that MTA is not a transportation agency, its a state jobs program.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:58 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
And here I am, laughing with my transit pass in my pocket. No fare hikes for me

All jokes aside they certainly do suck. There's plenty of people to blame.

I doubt boycotting would do much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City