U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 26,938 times

Advertisements

A few days ago I got a letter from public housing asking the age and name of everyone in my family and that there are available apartments in Berry Houses, Mariner's Harbor, and South Beach Houses. The letter also says that in order to be considered for an interview I have to send in the letter to the application and tenancy department by a certain date which I did. First question is...out of the 3 projects which is the safest? I have a 1 year old.. How long before I actually get an interview? I first put in my application a little over a year ago..Is there a chance that I could be waiting another year or even longer until I get an apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 27,258 times
i to got a letter and i heard berry houses r the best out of the 3 i to sent it in and now im waiting i wanna know how long it takes i tryed calling the office but no answer if i was u put down berry houses

Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 AM

10,355 posts, read 18,805,565 times
i'm not sure which is the safest between berry houses or south beach houses. berry houses has better public transportation however, since it is right next to the staten island railway. mariners harbor should be last on your list however, its one of the worst in staten island (crime-wise), and commuting using public transportation is not easy from mariner's harbor.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanx. I was starting to lean towards Berry Houses. So far everyones been telling me to stick with Berry over Mariner's Harbor..just hoping I don't have to wait too much longer

Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 27,258 times
Hey i would stick to berry houses if i was u i searched the area and was told it was the best place to raise a child also i have a 5yrs old son and i sent letter back too i am racking my brains in how long this process takes i am going for a 2bdrm thats what the letter said i called berry houses and they said they dont have no applications so far and they do have availabilty so i hope its soon

Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM

yeah i've been doing my research too and turns out I have some kind of relative in Berry houses . I was also told its the best out of the 3 so i guess i'll stick with berry. I was also put down for a 2bd rm, I just never though I'd be back in the projects and with a baby...Been in the projects almost all of my life. Just need the lower rent till I can finish college and what not. several people have told me so far that it shouldnt be too long now..the max is 6 months maybe..

Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 PM

191 posts, read 629,499 times
the berry/south beach houses are both in good neighborhoods.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:51 AM

197 posts, read 568,515 times
Mariner's Harbor is a definitely the worst of three. It is the farthest west on the Island. It is almost in Jersey. Barry homes and South Beach are about equal in safety. But Barry homes is closer to Mass transit. South Beach is closer to the VZ Bridge if you plan on driving. The neighborhood around both South Beach and Barry Homes is middle class. The South Avenue and Richmond Terrace area is neck and neck with Stapleton as the worst area on Staten Island.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:12 AM

awsome! now i feel a little better
i'll stay far away from Mariners Harbor. My husband was really against it too cause it would be such a pain to travel back to brooklyn from mariners harbor. I'd be terrified to leave my apartment in that neighborhood. . .Thanks so much everyone you guys have no idea how relieved I am.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM

25 posts, read 28,103 times
Over the years I have enjoyed reading the honest advice you are giving out, I am wondering if martiner's harbor houses still a bad choice-I was just given it as one of my selections on project the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City