Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 38,127 times

Advertisements

This is of course highly relative, but I was wondering if Chinatown was a good low-rent alternative.

Maybe The Lower East Side?

Background:
Young artist [18]. I have money saved up and am planning to move soon--sorry, I know you've heard this before. I was thinking about trying to find work as a bicycle courier. I really want to try to find something on the island that isn't on 208th street or something, but, of course, if this isn't feasible, any suggestions would be nice.

Is it possible to find a share in Chinatown for 700?
I can live frugally and don't mind small spaces.

If this isn't possible, what are some artist neighborhoods in other boroughs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
It's very hard to get an apartment in Chinatown. They're never advertised. I recall going to look at one once. It was a share, but I was not impressed with the apartment or the potential roommate. Most of the rooms in Chinatown are occupied by real Chinese immigrants, they are over crowded and you wouldn't want to be there (they wouldn't let you in either).

I hate to say it, knowing the groans it'll send up on this board, but you may want to look at Williamsburg and surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 38,127 times
Is race an issue?
I'm Black, and I know that this can be a problem sometimes.

I have no problem with some squalor, as I hope to not be home that often,
but are the buildings at least safe?

I don't want things falling down.

If I manage to get past the langage barrier, is it cheaper?

Last edited by GRF12; 08-04-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I wouldn't say that it's a racial issue, just that there are Chinese-language papers and communities through which apartments are generally rented in Chinatown. It's not impossible, but it's not the same as going to a broker or an owner from an ad in The Times or on Craigslist and securing an apartment or a share.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Yorkville section of the upper east side.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:55 PM

108 posts, read 570,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's very hard to get an apartment in Chinatown. They're never advertised. I recall going to look at one once. It was a share, but I was not impressed with the apartment or the potential roommate. Most of the rooms in Chinatown are occupied by real Chinese immigrants, they are over crowded and you wouldn't want to be there (they wouldn't let you in either).

I hate to say it, knowing the groans it'll send up on this board, but you may want to look at Williamsburg and surrounding neighborhoods.
are you talking about those rooming houses where everyone shares a bathroom? how much do those rooms usually cost a month?

Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Check out the new york classifieds for apts, jobs, for sale, personals - backpage.com for rentals in areas that you might be interested in Manhattan.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
are you talking about those rooming houses where everyone shares a bathroom? how much do those rooms usually cost a month?
Chinatown, unlike Little Italy, is still a functioning immigrant community. It's a very closed society. There are many under-the-radar things, like sweatshops, that go on there. There are still places were people live 5 or even 10 to a room. Outsiders aren't really welcomed as tenants. If you look on the Times rental search page under Chinatown, very few of the apartments are actually in Chinatown. There are all in Tribeca or the LES, and expensive, certainly beyond a bike messenger's means.

There are places on the periphery of Chinatown that are owned by Chinese landlords and have a lot of Chinese signage (on Allen Street, for example) but are not part of Chinatown proper and are open to anyone who wants to rent there.

Ultimately: there is no cheap neighborhood left in Manhattan south of Harlem, period. You might luck out and find a good share situation somewhere, but there's no single neighborhood to look for such a deal. The only places left on the island are Washington Heights and Inwood (and possibly Spanish/East Harlem, though I would be hesitant to live there, personally).

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 08-05-2009 at 08:41 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Regarding shares in Manhattan:

This is something I know a lot about as I've only lived in shares in Manhattan. Most of people with shares are older than you (30+) and frankly, are not looking to live with an 18 year old. If they are younger, they're probably corporate types, i.e., entry level bankers. It's unlikely to be a good fit, either way.

There was a time when an 18 year old could move to central Manhattan without being independently wealthy, but that was 20 years ago.

I would strongly recommend looking in Astoria, Green Point, the nicer parts of Bushwick, and Williamsburg. Those places are full of young artist transplants trying to make it in the city. There's a support network of sorts. There are collectives and other types of alternative housing. That kind of stuff just doesn't exist in Manhattan anymore.

I don't know you and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. I do know prices in Manhattan. Best of luck.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Ultimately: there is no cheap neighborhood left in Manhattan south of Harlem, period. You might luck out and find a good share situation somewhere, but there's no single neighborhood to look for such a deal.
...With the possible exception of Alphabet City. Generally, the closer you get to Avenue D (and the further from Avenue A) the cheaper it's going to be. The catch is that things change wildly from block to block, so you really have to check it out with your own eyes. But I think it's possible to find something in that part of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: