U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 AM

21 posts, read 86,351 times

Advertisements

Excited about the very small possibility of moving back although rent sticker shock is huge after living in seattle and dallas. Have a couple of questions, have searched the forums but maybe not well enough . Hubby and I are looking for a 1-2 bedroom around 800-900 sq ft. , no kids, just his job for now until I find one, not sure what salary will be but should be around 100k min. so I guess our budget is $2200 and under. He refuses to live anywhere but manhattan because he doesn't want the commute and we always said that if we ever moved back we would live in manhattan vs jersey

1. Advice on fun/funky neighborhoods - he will be working midtown
2. What's the general policy on having gas grills on your patio/balcony in nyc (not sure if there are city ordinances against those)?
3. What's the best way to find a decent broker since we are coming in from out of state? I know posting thru here isn't allowed so pls DM me if you have any recommendations

Thanks in advance for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,476,037 times
You aren't going to be able to find a one bedroom in a 'fun and funky' area for that rent. Definitely NOT a 2 bedroom except WAY uptown for that rent. You might find a walk-up one bedroom in Yorkville (UES, east of Lexington in the 80s and 90s) for that rent. Most one bedroom apartments are MUCH smaller than 900 square feet, by the way.

Grilling is not permitted on balconies and terraces unless you can be at least 10 feet away from the building. So, unless you have one of those beautiful Park Avenue apartments with terraces just as big as the apartment, no, you can't grill outside.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 AM

19,484 posts, read 34,548,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz722 View Post
Excited about the very small possibility of moving back although rent sticker shock is huge after living in seattle and dallas. Have a couple of questions, have searched the forums but maybe not well enough . Hubby and I are looking for a 1-2 bedroom around 800-900 sq ft. , no kids, just his job for now until I find one, not sure what salary will be but should be around 100k min. so I guess our budget is $2200 and under. He refuses to live anywhere but manhattan because he doesn't want the commute and we always said that if we ever moved back we would live in manhattan vs jersey

1. Advice on fun/funky neighborhoods - he will be working midtown
2. What's the general policy on having gas grills on your patio/balcony in nyc (not sure if there are city ordinances against those)?
3. What's the best way to find a decent broker since we are coming in from out of state? I know posting thru here isn't allowed so pls DM me if you have any recommendations

Thanks in advance for now
2200 for a 2 bedroom in manhattan? maybe lower east side....if you're lucky. and if you do get that, it will be a 5th floor walk-up.

gas grills arent allowed on balconies in nyc as per the buildings department.

you should try to avoid using a broker. why pay the fees when you can save money and look for yourself?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 AM

21 posts, read 86,351 times
Going back to city life is going to take a little time to adjust to...no car, no grill, no space

Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,892 times
How about Astoria?
It's literally 15 minutes from midtown on the subway and it's a very cool neighborhood

Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,873,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarius View Post
How about Astoria?
It's literally 15 minutes from midtown on the subway and it's a very cool neighborhood
I agree Astoria is a good option as you are very close to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City