Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 21,142 times

Advertisements

Is it sensible to have a piano in NYC? I'm trying to figure out whether I have to get rid of it or not. I play on occasion. Will moving it into a city apt be complicated? Noise to neighbors? Lack of space in apt? Or would it be easier to move from the suburbs (where we currently are in San Jose) to a suburb in CT and commute into Manhattan. If we have a dog and a baby on the way soon, should I rule out Manhattan on pragmatic reasons? Right now we have a 2000 sq foot house and one car. Will the adjustment not be worthwhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
If it's a walk-up, it's going to be tough to get it upstairs.

You can't play at odd hours, but many people DO have pianos.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
I agree if it is a walk up it will be difficult to get up stairs and downstairs whenever you have to move, but lots of people have pianos.

I've found a more helpful alternative (for practicing or leisure) is to have a usb midi keyboard, hook it up to your comptuer/laptop and get a decent VST/standalone plugin that will sound almost like a Steinway or even a Fender Rhodes (Its one of those things where its close but no cigar, I for one would suggest Native Instruments Plugins). Then you can hook in your headphones and get some late night practice in.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
You have many issues. The piano is the least of them. The baby and the dog would seem to take priority. Not all buildings take allow dogs, that's something you need to consider in your search.

Are you getting an apartment in Manhattan or one of the boroughs? What's your budget?

Have you ever lived in an apartment? You're not going to get anything near 2,000 square feet without spending a fortune in Manhattan.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
It might be easier to find a place in Connecticut to keep the dog and the car happy. The train is relatively quick to Grand Central, and if you don't mind the taxes, you can be less than 30 minutes away from Grand Central in some areas of Lower Westchester. It's worth considering...

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM

92 posts, read 197,426 times
If it's a grand piano it would basically take our entire living room leaving enough space for a couch and TV, but it wouldn't be ideal.

If you have an Upright, I don't see any issues. It can easily fit in an average NYC living room.

One thing is that in Manhattan what you bring with you limits your choices but it usually doesn't make it impossible. So for instance you have a dog and baby on the way, so there are certain neighborhoods that are more conducive to the lifestyle you would likely have such as the upper west side. Then if you are worried about your piano being damaged while being carried upstairs, you would then have to limit yourself to elevator buildings.

Then if you wanted to play at night sometimes you would have to hope to find an apartment with thick walls, with less units or musician friendly neighbors.

So you really have to prioritize to make your life simpler when looking for a spot here.

As for CT vs. Manhattan. IMHO, live in Manhattan while you can. That means do it now before you have more kids or your kids get older (school age). Because once that happens Manhattan isn't really worth it compared to the suburbs.

Right now in your shoes, I would choose Manhattan, with or without the piano. If you live here long enough you learn that you need a storage unit anyway. So see if you can preserve your piano by putting it into storage.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:38 PM

I agree with bmwguy - Connecticut might be your best bet.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 25,020 times
Conneticut might be better. Try not to put the piano on a shared wall. Trust me, it's annoying, and people are not always so forgiving. Like another said, the baby and dog are top priority, the walk-up may not be an issue as many apartment complexes have utility elevators for that purpose. Back when I thought I could swing an apt. instead of a dorm, I toured a lot of places and there was adequate room for a piano.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umich22 View Post
Like another said, the baby and dog are top priority, the walk-up may not be an issue as many apartment complexes have utility elevators for that purpose.
Ummm....no. Generally, walk-ups do NOT have utility elevators. I've lived in enough of 'em to know.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 25,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Ummm....no. Generally, walk-ups do NOT have utility elevators. I've lived in enough of 'em to know.
We had some friends move between 3 different walk-ups in the course of 2 years and 2 of them had a utility elevator, though each building is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: