Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 06:30 AM

192 posts, read 401,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
You have a long hard career ahead of you with that attitude. We bucked the crap out of the system and now supervisors superintendents Ab's, and Bs's are walking on egg shells around us. They are scared of us and don't want to come and work in our district. They don't know what to do with us and we probably wont see any cuts because of our actions. There is more to this job than just throwing trash into the back of a truck. Sometimes you have to take action and make a stand for something and if it brings heat on you then so be it. When you get more than 1 yr on the job maybe you will understand that.
Here, here!!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 AM

360 posts, read 735,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
I categorically disagree with this post. I have seen junior men turn a garage around. I was shocked one time and saw a whole night crew of guys with less then 3 years on the job, stay out all night in a SUPER running district, and give a relay and work back. They were being pressured into extra holiday work. These guys just made their mind up, banded together, and did what they had to do.

This job is UNASSUMINGLY more than just throwing bags into the back of a truck. It is amazing how simple, yet complicated it is.

I am shocked to see no posts of the 2 injuries that have happened this month. If I understand correctly, One Bx sanman has lost at least his foot if not his leg from the knee down. Another from Brooklyn I believe, was still in ICU this week after getting pinned to the hopper by another automobile. I don't have all the details yet but I've heard enough. This job is deceptively dangerous and NEVER forget it. You can get lulled to sleep with the monotonous work.

I'm almost sick of trying to explain it. You just don't want to see guys hurt themselves. Now or for their long-term... This job will change potentially by leaps and bounds over the next 20 years. Will you survive at the rate your going? You will be a totally different person... it's almost a lifetime away...Think about it. I always liked to work hard and believe we should do our best. We have a job to do. But don't sell your self short....this is still business.

How about your pension for starters..

Will it still be in proportion to the economy to be considered even half-way decent when your time comes? Look at all the losers who won't leave now b/c they have no plan.... Do you have a plan? Maybe your all a bunch of lifers who haven't realized it yet. That there is no golden parachute.

You have to prepare.

PROTECT THE JOB. IT DESERVES IT.
Its sad cause its true ... most people dont have plans they just go with the flow ... a code of ethics is never put your eggs in one basket ... owner of the mets lost billions cause bernie madoff was the king of returns on wall street and now is going have to sell them cause of greed ... diversifcation is key that was one point i saw wanting a city placed job i get a pension health benef. etc. and i dont even have to dip into the plan when i retire i could hold it .... theres so many perks ... your right from the amounts i have heard with OT that full time guys get .. If you cant retire after 20 years somethings wroung... It doesent matter how much you make but its called diversifing and money budgeting .... and the thing is its not even a risk with a pension owning stocks and bonds depending on what is purchased you could be worry free or you can risk it ... I remember when i baught my car i was talking to the dealer he was telling me how his grand father and his great on and on kept adding to GM ... well he had all his eggs in one basket .. was planning on retiring .. and he went down with the ship that investment is worthless... and guess what he aint retiring.... (anytime soon) risk is needed to a degree .... I could understand people enjoy working thats great and all i just hope its cause you want too not that you need too .... This is a great job with a great amount of perks i hope ... by the time this list moves lol

Old 09-13-2009, 08:47 AM

46 posts, read 176,150 times
This is frustrating,i hope i can get on the job before 2011.im at thirteen hundred and sixty what do you guys think

Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 AM

200 posts, read 576,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSANMAN View Post
This is frustrating,i hope i can get on the job before 2011.im at thirteen hundred and sixty what do you guys think
Hang in there. One day you will go out to the mailbox and the notice will be there. Unfortunately, I don't see it coming any time soon. 2011 sounds about right. Good luck to all that's waiting.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM

372 posts, read 829,971 times
first off if you can retire after 20 years good for you....im 24 at 43 when my 20 passes me there will be no shot I can retire, kids mortgage bills kids in school food...everyone would love to leave after 20 but the sad truth is who can actually afford to do so..I myself think that I will probably be doing 30 years....and I have a plan lol im in 457 and a 401k roth and I'm always saving cash and doing different things but when you have a family and a mortgage 20 years doesnt look to good lol...and number 2 about the pension being 20-25 years..tier5 is 25 years which means you are working an extra 5 years to get 50% instead of getting 57.5% under a tier4 if you were to work 25years..and under tier5 who knows if OT will be in the equation...trust me you dont want tier5 its not that point of hey i cud do the 25 so no biggie they are taking money from you....

Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 13,563 times
My garage started running more in the last two months then ever before. Senior men on nights that just wanted to do their relays and go home have been sent out of town on baskets and doing other garages relays. They are all mad that the day shift is running and dumping, that two of the night guys went days and are now forcing the people that are running and dumping off of the trucks, two more night guys are thinking of going days. I for one think the day shift is getting what they deserve, running themselves right off the truck!!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM

192 posts, read 401,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
first off if you can retire after 20 years good for you....im 24 at 43 when my 20 passes me there will be no shot I can retire, kids mortgage bills kids in school food...everyone would love to leave after 20 but the sad truth is who can actually afford to do so..I myself think that I will probably be doing 30 years....and I have a plan lol im in 457 and a 401k roth and I'm always saving cash and doing different things but when you have a family and a mortgage 20 years doesnt look to good lol...and number 2 about the pension being 20-25 years..tier5 is 25 years which means you are working an extra 5 years to get 50% instead of getting 57.5% under a tier4 if you were to work 25years..and under tier5 who knows if OT will be in the equation...trust me you dont want tier5 its not that point of hey i cud do the 25 so no biggie they are taking money from you....
You have 19 years to prepare!! Think of something you could do. Develop a talent... Something! How about working off the books for 5 years after you retire... AT SOMETHING YOU LOVE.... Max out on your deferred and your taxable income would be zilch... then bank the rest.

After 5 years with a $50,000 pension you could add $150,000 to your Deferred and $100,000 in your savings. You could invest the 100k in whatever looked best, probably double your deferred, making cash the whole way. Ultimately falling back on a steady stream of $50,000. Not to mention your annuity, pension enhancement fund, benefits...

Guys on this job have never planned, don't want to, can't (stupid), WHATEVER. This job made them. Without it a lot would be changing oil at your local superlube....

IF THIS IS ALL YOU CAN DO, THEN THIS IS ALL YOU WILL DO.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 AM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey8 View Post
My garage started running more in the last two months then ever before. Senior men on nights that just wanted to do their relays and go home have been sent out of town on baskets and doing other garages relays. They are all mad that the day shift is running and dumping, that two of the night guys went days and are now forcing the people that are running and dumping off of the trucks, two more night guys are thinking of going days. I for one think the day shift is getting what they deserve, running themselves right off the truck!!
Good, Is this stopping the guys on the day line from running and dumping on shift?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:34 AM

372 posts, read 829,971 times
yeh but its not that easy to get a job lol things are getting worse jobs are going out of country computers are taking jobs away so 19 years from now who even knows if DSNY will be around...

Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 AM

91 posts, read 158,783 times
Default pension

anyone know what the pension is like for sanitation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City