Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 AM

200 posts, read 576,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
What I was really trying to convey was that Harry started the PHF in lieu of the VSF because he knows it's a lost cause. My understanding of the Corrections VSF is that it's finished. I never really followed up on it too much. I recall that if NYCERS didn't exceed a benchmark for interest earned for a certain amount of consecutive years then it was kaupput. I don't think we are getting it. I was asking you because you seemed certain. Maybe you heard something that you could share? Did you hear that the union was actively persuing the VSF?
The day it was announced that we were getting the PHF I asked if that meant the VSF was off the table and I was told no. I was also told that we were getting the PHF because we may never get the VSF so we need something. To me that's a bit of a negative attitude on the union's part to say we may never get the VSF. Anything is possible as long as the union doesn't try to get it for every retiree. I cant tell you who told me about the VSF still being on the table because I cant remember, shop steward or union rep told me. I forget who did the announcement that day.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM

192 posts, read 401,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
The day it was announced that we were getting the PHF I asked if that meant the VSF was off the table and I was told no. I was also told that we were getting the PHF because we may never get the VSF so we need something. To me that's a bit of a negative attitude on the union's part to say we may never get the VSF. Anything is possible as long as the union doesn't try to get it for every retiree. I cant tell you who told me about the VSF still being on the table because I cant remember, shop steward or union rep told me. I forget who did the announcement that day.
Yeah, basically this is my sentiments. I don't think we are getting it. I've been wrong before but I think that Harry started the PHF to bridge the gap. At least it's OURS and we will determine our own fate with it, I suppose.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM

The power of positive thinking goes a long way. I honestly think we will get the VSF one day. We have a very strong union that does very well in negotiations.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:10 PM

43 posts, read 104,647 times
just remember, for everything we get...we also give something back...nothing comes for free.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 PM

192 posts, read 401,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirerm View Post
just remember, for everything we get...we also give something back...nothing comes for free.
Well, right now Harry is thinking we're not getting the permanent 6-2 shift. Doherty wants to insert several other shifts into our contract allowing him to maneuver us around. Harry said he will take the 6-2 all year, with no strings attached. IF doherty wants to pressure us with other shifts as conditions, then we will wait till this contract expires......negotiate the other shifts for more money...... because everything has it's price.

I'm not so sure these other shifts are a good idea either way. IF they want to insert a 5-1 or a 11-7 shift into our contract permanently.... they could irradicate Saturdays.... I don't know about that.

Your right 20yearman.... positive thinking does go a long way. I would love to get the VSF, even if I'm not getting it. I think Sanmen deserve it.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:04 PM

243 posts, read 681,797 times
but why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if DCAS sends out notices for round 3 of the physical soon.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirerm View Post
And that's why its called negotiations. But we usually do well.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad397 View Post
but why ?
To you and me and everybody else who has been following this thread it wouldn't make any sense to have round 3 of the physical this fall, but this is DCAS, who does things for no rhyme or reason.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 AM

172 posts, read 447,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
Well, right now Harry is thinking we're not getting the permanent 6-2 shift. Doherty wants to insert several other shifts into our contract allowing him to maneuver us around. Harry said he will take the 6-2 all year, with no strings attached. IF doherty wants to pressure us with other shifts as conditions, then we will wait till this contract expires......negotiate the other shifts for more money...... because everything has it's price.

I'm not so sure these other shifts are a good idea either way. IF they want to insert a 5-1 or a 11-7 shift into our contract permanently.... they could irradicate Saturdays.... I don't know about that.

Your right 20yearman.... positive thinking does go a long way. I would love to get the VSF, even if I'm not getting it. I think Sanmen deserve it.
If I'm not mistaken,,,, wasn't the VSF given to NYPD, FDNY, and Corrections because those Unions helped the city out with a loan during the fiscal problems in the 70's, but DSNY did not. if so why would DSNY deserve it, if I'm wrong could you please inform me?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombero2811 View Post
If I'm not mistaken,,,, wasn't the VSF given to NYPD, FDNY, and Corrections because those Unions helped the city out with a loan during the fiscal problems in the 70's, but DSNY did not. if so why would DSNY deserve it, if I'm wrong could you please inform me?
Where did you here that?
And even if that was true, they have a much larger membership and probably could afford to lend out. As far as Sanitation deserving it, take a look at pension numbers for an average Sanitation worker, its not all that great for 20 years of hard labor. A VSF would greatly increase the quality of life of a Sanitation worker upon retiring.
Deserve it? I think so.

Last edited by 20yearman; 08-12-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City