Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 PM

360 posts, read 734,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
tier5, 4%raise taken away and possible layoffs....I was telling DEAC that the list mite not move no matter how well he thinks we are coming back from this recession the next fiscal year we are in worse shape then we are in now i mite hit top pay b4 a new class(if were not laid off)---how the hell do you stop a running garage from running one man can not make a difference thats y i have said b4 were is the UNION....to say guys this is or lively hood can we wake up and smell the coffee and see that we are sinking ourselves everyday...

as far as the recession goes.... they will most likely offically end it before the new year... the economy will be in a extremly slow recovery thou ... Cause everyone including the city is holding back and saving money...If you dont believe me that the economy is recovering faster then expected look at your 457 and i bet you will be surprised.... Your 100% right they may not hire for awhile i just found it humerous one person posts a very negative imposing thread and we all come out of the wood works.... There is a saying and im sure SJU000 can quote me on it ....When everyones greedy you sell and when everyone PANICS you buy.... listen 20 year man may have some info that is true ... who really knows... treat it like a inside lead so and speak... but to be honest ... when i remember seeing definate immenint gurannted layoffs starting july ... and then hearing absoutly nothing... i aint buying it ... Like any other company you layoff before the next Q so the numbers are better not at the end of Q cause whats the point.... Tier 5 is GOING TO HAPPEN ... mike is going to get that but i do think the contract is going to be completly diffrent ... the bottem line is noone knows including myself im still going and believing in RETIRED SANMANS 8000 number before this list expires and ... guys including myself who are waiting if there are LAYOFFS from what i remember reading the list is freezed.... (could be wroung) and king once again my dude im talking from a advisor point ... lol nothing is fundamentaly right but nowa days what it is..? hey maybe Notradamuses 2012 world destruction will get us all so who needs garbage men lol.... ill stop now im being silly ... =P thanks for cameo King and still waiting for after november too see what blooms got for the city ..

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 PM

360 posts, read 734,635 times
This was what the fed had to say about the beige book report on new york and the economy in the wall street journal..
New York: The economy here appears stable, and the labor market -- while soft -- is showing signs of "gradual improvement." Retail sales are sluggish, and tourism activity is steady despite a significant falloff in business travel. Meanwhile, bankers are reporting rising delinquency rates across all categories of loans.

Like I said let's not throw a party but the word stable is important meaning the worst is behind ... But I dident like the toxic loans info thou that's a def negative but most likely because the expensive living rates in NYC ... Im sure this pertains to city jobs as well cause the banks use this report to give like a progress report on the sections of America and listed above is newyorks progress report currently accounting for everything from bailout money to debts city had etc. And believe me you don't want too read about californias... It's that bad ... I thought just to throw something Out there about newyorks economy and growth .. and one thing that is going to happen by end of this month are 25 new supers ... whats the point of electing supervisors if theres noone to supervise..??? night guys

Last edited by Deac39; 09-09-2009 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: added thought...

Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM

389 posts, read 773,342 times
Quote:
getting laid off with almost 2 years on the job that will be rough.....this is what I dont understand Harry had lunch with a guy and now there mite be layoffs in spring...he is the president of our union why wouldnt he tell us hey guys this is a possibility and lets wake up but instead we sit here in the dark with no idea of whats going on out there....Once again can i stress how hard it is to be a junior guy on probation working with people with time on the job that are used to there ways and then you got foreman looking to take advantage of you because they know your on probation its not easy....ive said it b4 the best way to slow down and wake up is for it to go from the top down, but that will never happen, I wanna thank our union for keeping us so up to date and giving us a direction to go in....
I thankfully have never been put in an awkward position on probation especially in my garage...if I go out of town I let them know and most respect it...of course there are always a couple of knuckleheads like the one who said one time, "My partner and I usually have this route up by 8:15." Of course this was after I replaced his partner who went LODI with a separated shoulder. The other day, same garage as above, foreman tells me and my partner "My guys are usually done by now." It wasn't even lunchtime yet. Thanks guys. When and if layoffs occur I am gonna swing by that garage and thank those idiots.
Boy am I glad where I am.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,041,730 times
Have any of you guys driven or seen one of the new DSNY Hybrid trucks? There are 3 out there, 1 from Mack and 2 from CCC and 1 of them was expected to be on the streets of QW this month. 4 more trucks are on order from CCC. A hybrid costs 500k versus a conventional garbage truck(250k). However federal subsidies cover 250k of the cost.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 AM

372 posts, read 828,526 times
hybrid lol the truck gets one more mile to the gallon....honestly a waste of money...all trucks do is throw the word hybrid on it and it means nothing like escalade hybrids get one more million to the gallon...

Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,041,730 times
Quote:
hybrid lol the truck gets one more mile to the gallon....honestly a waste of money...all trucks do is throw the word hybrid on it and it means nothing like escalade hybrids get one more million to the gallon...
Well the article says that they are expected to use 30% less fuel than the current trucks. DSNY's fleet of collection trucks is around 2,200...if these hybrids go into mass production the price becomes a lot less. Think green!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 AM

253 posts, read 538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
I totally agree with you, but when the Mayor and the and the Governor wants a tier 5 you can bet they are going to get it. We will definitely get something for it but who knows what. The talks about our next 4% raise in 2010 being taken away leads me to believe that the contract might be reopened for some negotiation.
What I dont understand is in the middle of this economic crisis how does the police department get a huge starting salary and top pay increase. They gave up a few holidays. Tier 5 was never even talked about when this happened. This is the department that is the biggest burden when it comes to 20 year retirements. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 AM

253 posts, read 538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamb5 View Post
Hey guys I have list number in the 600's and still waiting to get called..can someone let me know what the differences will be between tier 4 and tier 5
tier 4---20 year retirement
tier 5---25 year retirement

Old 09-10-2009, 11:30 AM

364 posts, read 737,406 times
Quote:
in this day and age alot of jobs are going backwards instead of forward....Tier5 will happen but the question is what are we gonna get maybe go for the variable?????---maybe were lined up to get nothing out of it?? as far as pay goes id rather get more money for top pay then starting...
Variable Supplement is dead, and will never be back on the table. EVER EVER. UGH did I say EVER? This job is going to crap! I hope I get promoted in the Spring.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 AM

372 posts, read 828,526 times
first off fireman and police are under a different tier then us...tier 4 is actually a 30year pension but we pay into it to make it 20 thats what one of those percents are for either the 5% or 3%..i think fire and police were under a tier 2 but i believe are now under a tier 3 not a 100% sure....all unions have different arguments like DSNY says we are day in and out the most productive out of all the agencies and then they show the weights and tonage and 350's etc....FDNY and NYPD say hey when we go into work we don't know if were gonna make it home to see our family...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City