U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,696,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Two things about your links... For one those numbers in city-data are from 2000. Notice how while everything else on those links has a specific year (2008, 2009), the same doesn't apply for the demographics... It's because the demographics listed are over 12 years old...

2nd thing, you're (12 year old link on Astoria) also contains the Demographics for LIC... Likewise, the demographics you included for Ridgewood also included the zipcode 11237 (Bushwick) so obviously, the numbers are skewed... If you want to use subjective data to suit your point, by all means do so...but don't insult my intelligence... Use it on someone who can be fooled... Astoria nowadays, is majority white (over 50%) with a hispanic plurality, a significant asian population and a small black population... Also, if you look at recent events, it seems like the diversity you speak of, isn't continiung but rather dwindling...

Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

Other than the areas close to the projects, Astoria for the most part is majority white...
Now use that same website for zipcode 11385 (and note that Ridgewood uses a zig zag pattern where from about Flushing to Grove it ends on cypress and from about grove to Cooper it ends on Wyckoff and you'll see the diversity...

Right now (2012) the demographics for Ridgewood alone
Around 45-50% Hispanic
35-40% White
7-10% Asian
3-5% Black

And the diversity only continues to expand if you look at how it used to be... Furthermore, reason why I say it's a much better example is because within one 6 family apartment building you can have 2 1st generation european families 2 hispanic families a black family and an asian family all living together and co-existing... This, as opposed to astoria, where as you can say from the objective link... blacks and hispanics are concentrated mainly in the projects and then spread out across the rest of the area...

It is true that blacks in Astoria tend to concetrate around PJs but Hispanics basically are everywhere in in the neighborhood.
Feel free to compare zip codes here.
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

On Zip code 11385 (which on google maps shows up as Glendale, NY) you'll see a very large amount of Hispanics.
Now compare that zip code to 11103 or 11106 to see what real diversity should look like
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM

3,027 posts, read 6,566,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
It is true that blacks in Astoria tend to concetrate around PJs but Hispanics basically are everywhere in in the neighborhood.
Feel free to compare zip codes here.
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

On Zip code 11385 (which on google maps shows up as Glendale, NY) you'll see a very large amount of Hispanics.
Now compare that zip code to 11103 or 11106 to see what real diversity should look like
Yup 65% white 15% hispanic 15% asian 5% black... Diverse indeed...
In terms of your map while that breakdown is probably the most detailed out of all of them, again, it is also slightly outdated... Most of the information on that site is from at least five years ago before the hipster explosion. Numerous websites as well as census reports for 2010 of that zipcode of 11103 which is in the heart of Astoria proves my point more clearly than anything else... All you see is a sea of dark and light pink indicating white as a majority throughout the entire neighborhood other than the projects... Once you get to Jackson Heights or East Elmhurst things shift dramatically but that zip code itself isn't diverse by any means...

And notice I wasn't talking about Glendale even though we share the same zipcode... Ridgewood alone is much more diverse than Glendale which other than the area by liberty park is majority white... Ridgewood has strong populations of at least 10 significant countries... Puerto Rico, Italy, Albania, Ecuador, Poland, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Nepal, China, Korea, and growing numbers of other groups such as Haitian and Guyanese as well... And they all live among eachother... Granted, some areas are more heavily hispanic and some have a stronger european percentage... But the neighborhood isn't set up where 75-80% of the neighborhood is overwhelmingly one race and then the hispanics/blacks are concentrated to one tiny portion of an area as you can clearly see from the census tracts in astoria... The area is legitimately mixed with relatively few problems... Solid working class blue collar area that I hope never changes to fit the mold of what NYC seems to be becoming under this mayor... A playground for the yuppies/hipsters/transplants...

And for the record, you continue to say you're hispanic as if being of the same race somehow makes you're sentiments less wrong... Fact is, you're posts scream typical transplant nose in the air attitude... Not these specifically but probably about 60% of your posts give off that vibe...

Last edited by anon1; 09-04-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 05:46 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,696,761 times
Quote:
In terms of your map while that breakdown is probably the most detailed out of all of them, again, it is also slightly outdated... Most of the information on that site is from at least five years ago before the hipster explosion. Numerous websites as well as census reports for 2010 of that zipcode of 11103 which is in the heart of Astoria proves my point more clearly than anything else... All you see is a sea of dark and light pink indicating white as a majority throughout the entire neighborhood other than the projects... Once you get to Jackson Heights or East Elmhurst things shift dramatically but that zip code itself isn't diverse by any means...

And notice I wasn't talking about Glendale even though we share the same zipcode... Ridgewood alone is much more diverse than Glendale which other than the area by liberty park is majority white... Ridgewood has strong populations of at least 10 significant countries... Puerto Rico, Italy, Albania, Ecuador, Poland, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Nepal, China, Korea, and growing numbers of other groups such as Haitian and Guyanese as well... And they all live among eachother... Granted, some areas are more heavily hispanic and some have a stronger european percentage... But the neighborhood isn't set up where 75-80% of the neighborhood is overwhelmingly one race and then the hispanics/blacks are concentrated to one tiny portion of an area as you can clearly see from the census tracts in astoria... The area is legitimately mixed with relatively few problems... Solid working class blue collar area that I hope never changes to fit the mold of what NYC seems to be becoming under this mayor... A playground for the yuppies/hipsters/transplants...

And for the record, you continue to say you're hispanic as if being of the same race somehow makes you're sentiments less wrong... Fact is, you're posts scream typical transplant nose in the air attitude... Not these specifically but probably about 60% of your posts give off that vibe...

I said I was Hispanic once in this thread, and only to give my view on the issue of that group being a target of subtle racism in Astoria. I don't really care to discuss Astoria vs Ridgewood, I know Astoria is diverse because I live here. And why am I not surprised that you'd bring up the 'real ny yorkers vs. transplants' dichotomy once again?

the fact of the matter is that Hispanics are a pretty large percentage of the population in many of the census tracks. I see white kids with Hispanic kids playing basketball on their driveways and riding bicycles together all the time. I have friends from Argentina, Chile and Colombia who live in Astoria and love it. Never had any problems, other than not having a pen with them to write a girl's number down.
My point is that I see no friction or animosity among ethnicities around here.

Now you can keep Ridgewood for yourself, just send the Polish girls this way.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 PM

6,836 posts, read 14,703,891 times
all this guy talks about is race, race, and more race.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 AM

3,027 posts, read 6,566,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I said I was Hispanic once in this thread, and only to give my view on the issue of that group being a target of subtle racism in Astoria. I don't really care to discuss Astoria vs Ridgewood, I know Astoria is diverse because I live here. And why am I not surprised that you'd bring up the 'real ny yorkers vs. transplants' dichotomy once again?

the fact of the matter is that Hispanics are a pretty large percentage of the population in many of the census tracks. I see white kids with Hispanic kids playing basketball on their driveways and riding bicycles together all the time. I have friends from Argentina, Chile and Colombia who live in Astoria and love it. Never had any problems, other than not having a pen with them to write a girl's number down.
My point is that I see no friction or animosity among ethnicities around here.

Now you can keep Ridgewood for yourself, just send the Polish girls this way.
Never said the target of subtle racism was towards hispanics... The friend that I spoke about was Black and the whole point of me bringing up this entire topic was in reference to a black family choosing an area to live in... Thus, the reason why I brought up that point...

No disagreements with your other points though, and you can have the Polish women... I don't find them as attractive as other European groups such as Italian or... Albanian ... Man some of those women are sexy as hell and I'm not usually into white women but man...

Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 AM

4,841 posts, read 9,455,819 times
Quote:
Yup 65% white 15% hispanic 15% asian 5% black
Astoria is way more then 15% hispanic [its more like 30-35%], have you ever even been there? The neighborhood is more then just the area along Ditmars Blvd, that's like saying that Fresh Pond is the only section of Ridgewood. IMO Astoria is just as diverse, if not moreso then Ridgewood.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 PM

3,907 posts, read 8,720,071 times
I don't know how we got from talking about Brooklyn to talking about Astoria & Ridgewood. Since we're off-topic, here's an SI zip code that's more diverse than both of those.

But I'm LMAO at some of this data. Apparently the median resident age in some census tracts is 77,949.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,133,729 times
No love for Mill Basin/ Bergen Beach?

I've lived here for almost 15 years and literally the worst I've seen or heard about is luxury cars getting their rims and wheels stolen.

Im sure there have been some isolated incidents of more serious crimes but the above is literally the worst consistent crime.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights are great. I also hear good things about Cobble Hill. My parents moved to Charlotte a few years back, and just moved back to NYC this past summer and they bought a brownstone in Park Slope in July, and they really love it there and it is definitely a safe area.
Well, those areas are uber expensive and not affordable for the average middle class person nowadays. Brooklyn Heights has always been a very nice, upscale, expensive area, but Park Slope and Clinton Hill were not good areas for many, many years. A brownstone in Park Slope sells for millions nowadays. Good luck to your parents and the rest of the people who can afford to live there now. I grew up there and left in the mid 80s, and moved to Queens when I got married. I wish I never would have left Park Slope, but back in the 70s and 80s it was not safe and not a good area for children and the public schools were some of the worst in the city because many parts of it were very bad, with high crime on the streets and in the subway stations, of which there are many in Park Slope and the surrounding areas, lots of drugs & drug related crimes, low income familes bringing the area down, muggings, robbings, rapes, fights and stabbings, etc. on the streets and subways. Now, I'm not judging or makign racists comments as some may think, but I know since I lived in that area and my family livedin that area, and believe me, if we foresaw what's happened over there in the past 20 years or so, we never would have left. Sad that now only the upscale and well off can afford to live there.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 AM

6,836 posts, read 14,703,891 times
Quote:

haitians in ridgewood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City