Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 PM

988 posts, read 3,241,326 times

Advertisements

What do you all think about Greenpoint(Manhattan and Greenpoint Ave)? I assume that its safe but I haven't been there after 8pm before therefore, I don't know its true colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:58 PM

508 posts, read 2,113,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancipator View Post
I have been reading several posts and it amazes me how people that no nothing about Bed-Stuy other than speculation from others label it an unsafe neighborhood today. I am a 38 year old woman and was a child of an inter-racial marriage so I had the privelege of living on the Island as well as frequently visiting my grandmother and family in Bed-stuy throughout my entire life. Now back in the 80's that was a different story it went through its havoc stages like most other neighborhoods. Certain areas in Harlem, Fort Green, Williamsburg, Parkslope, etc. had there era of high crime, drugs and prostitution. Bed-stuy has one of the highest populations of African American people. There has always been 3 classes or types. 1)The homeowner's (the professional working class) who lived on the beautiful landmark brownstone blocks that were monitored by the block associations and the church organizations 2) The buildings owned by the Moderator cut: ethnic comment that were poorly maintained and rented out to the low income people to benefit from the welfare system and government programs 3) The city owned buildings that were also rented out to the lower income people. Due to the high population of low income housing, low income families and low property values the community then deemed a ghetto never received the services that other areas received. NOW that there has been a revamping of the community and gentrification in the area with new development the property values increased and the area has changed a whole lot. There are still a few blocks that still house the lower income families but for the most part with the gentrification in the area the older as well as new homeowners price their rentals at market value which unfortunately forces the lower income people elsewhere to look for housing. If you ride through the blocks of Bed-stuy you will be suprised to see how many caucasian people you see walking and riding their bikes, even at night. I own 3 buildings 2 with all caucasian students and working professionals. 2 of these tenants are gay males who hang out in the city all the time and come home late. Want to know how the area is contact me I'll let you ask them or stop one of the ones you see riding by or walking since they live there, not these racist idiots who speculate. I always say the Kingda Ka was the scariest rollercoaster I ever seen, but after I got on it I realized it really wasn't bad as I thought- I never felt the drop.
The description you have of Bed Stuy is very similar to that of Harlem and probably Fort Greene and Clinton Hill too. I'm glad that you're pointing out the different kinds of people who live in these kinds of communities. Not everyone is a criminal or in affordable housing. I wish a lot of people who move to these areas would know that about these communities.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 AM

46 posts, read 165,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
What do you all think about Greenpoint(Manhattan and Greenpoint Ave)? I assume that its safe but I haven't been there after 8pm before therefore, I don't know its true colors.

Yes, it's safe.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,288,947 times
Sorry to tell you, but no matter where you are in Brooklyn, you're never too far off from the hood. Almsot every supposed good neighborhood is generally either next door or no more than a mile fromthe ghetto. Thats goes for msot of the city with the exception probably being Staten island or a couple of corners of QUeens.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,962,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Sorry to tell you, but no matter where you are in Brooklyn, you're never too far off from the hood. Almsot every supposed good neighborhood is generally either next door or no more than a mile fromthe ghetto. Thats goes for msot of the city with the exception probably being Staten island or a couple of corners of QUeens.
Lol, a mile is a long way in this city... so is a block. If you're on one side of something, problems aren't likely to reach you in most areas.. people tend to stick to their zones.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:56 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,470,644 times
It's also true that "safe" is not what you could call an objective term. One person might feel safe in a given neighborhood (or on a given block), and another person might be sweating bullets in fear of their life. There's really no way you can tell someone this area is safe while that one isn't. You have to go there and see for yourself.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:16 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,263,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Sorry to tell you, but no matter where you are in Brooklyn, you're never too far off from the hood. Almsot every supposed good neighborhood is generally either next door or no more than a mile fromthe ghetto.
A mile in NYC is, as has been said, the equivalent of 20 miles in California.

Where is the "ghetto" that's a mile from Shore Road in Bay Ridge?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 PM

88 posts, read 419,159 times
The crime rates in Greenpoint and Williamsburg are fairly high. The gentrified parts of northern Brooklyn are close to high poverty areas, and plenty of crimes take place in them. Quality of life issues are different, as they are more easily separated by distance. But muggers don't mind going to areas that wealthier people live in.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:53 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,947,025 times
Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights are great. I also hear good things about Cobble Hill. My parents moved to Charlotte a few years back, and just moved back to NYC this past summer and they bought a brownstone in Park Slope in July, and they really love it there and it is definitely a safe area.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 AM

33,385 posts, read 46,784,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post
The crime rates in Greenpoint and Williamsburg are fairly high. The gentrified parts of northern Brooklyn are close to high poverty areas, and plenty of crimes take place in them. Quality of life issues are different, as they are more easily separated by distance. But muggers don't mind going to areas that wealthier people live in.
the crime rate in greenpoint is high? since when was greenpoint a high crime neighborhood?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City