Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM

70 posts, read 239,449 times

Advertisements

Hi.Could anyone tell me how close these locations, or just some of the locations, are to each other ?.I'd love visit these places, as " Desperately seeking Susan " is one of my favourite movies !!.Has anyone else here ever been to these places, and could you tell me more about what they are like ?.

I've posted the link to the list of locations from IMDB.

Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) - Filming locations

In particular, i'd like to see Battery Park, St Mark's place, Greenwich village , " Love saves the day " store ", East Village,Manhattan, " Danceteria ", Chelsea, Manhattan, Bleecker Street,and Atlantic City, New Jersey. I also wanted to find out where the " Dragon Noodle " place is, as one of the characters lives in an apartment over the " Dragon Noodle " place, the cafe where Roberta and Des go to have breakfast,and if possible, find out the location of the house that Roberta and Gary from the movie lived in, and the " Magic club " location.

Last edited by BethfromEngland; 08-11-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,570 times
Battery Park City, St. Mark's Place, Greenwich Village, East Village, and Bleecker Street are all in lower Manhattan. Depending on what kind of shape you are in, they are all in walking distance of each other. Of all those, Battery Park City might be the furthest since it is in the southern tip of Manhattan, but still walkable.

Chelsea is a little higher North, along the West side of Manhattan. From Greenwich Village, you can continue North and you'll hit Chelsea.

Atlantic City would be a little harder, since it is in South Jersey. It's probably about a 2hr+ drive from Manhattan.

If you tell me the location of the dragon noodle house and the other houses, I can probably tell you where they are.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Hate to bear the bad news, but its been over 25 years since the filming. Most of those places don't exist anymore.

Love Saves the Day ran out of love long ago. Danceteria has LONG since closed. The Magic club and the Dragon Noodle probably never existed except in the movie. Same I would say for the house in NJ. Its a MOVIE, not real life.

There actually was a place "like" the Magic Club, maybe the movie modeled it. If so, its long since gone.

Jeremiah's Vanishing New York: Love Saves the Day

This Used to Be Madonna's Playground: Danceteria to Become Luxury Condos | The New York Observer

Although most of the movie was filmed on location in New York and New Jersey, the scenes of The Magic Club and The Diner were set designs: Desperately Seeking Susan: The Magic Club

You probably should begin your trip with a little Googling.

I love that movie too. The amazing thing about that movie is that it dipicted a moment in time, at the precise moment of the times. No looking back, it was totally in the present.

Think what it must have been to be Madonna then. You are acting in your first movie; dancing to your song at the precise moment the song is busting all over the radio! Nothing, but nothing could be cooler.

Love Saves the Day was cool store. MY GF of back in the day, used to drag me into that store many a time.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
It is possible to take a bus from Manhattan to Atlantic City.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:39 PM

70 posts, read 239,449 times
Thanks.I had a feeling that some of the places might not be there now, as the film was made so long ago, and i thought that some of it would be a set design .I'd like to see the places that are still there, and i'd still like to see where " Love saves the day " was anyway and " Danceteria ", just the area in general.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:01 PM

101 posts, read 300,696 times
There's also a special train to Atlantic City. Wasn't Madonna just gorgeous back then?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Well you could visit the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens which shows you how movies are made.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethfromEngland View Post
Thanks.I had a feeling that some of the places might not be there now, as the film was made so long ago, and i thought that some of it would be a set design .I'd like to see the places that are still there, and i'd still like to see where " Love saves the day " was anyway and " Danceteria ", just the area in general.
Love Saves the Day was on 7th St. & 2nd Ave... no idea what's there now. Take the N/W/R to 8th St or the 6 to Astor Place and just walk up, if you really want to see the area.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Yes, unfortunately the higher rents closed Love Saves the Day, though there is a branch in Pennsylvania. It was in a red brick building on the northwest corner of 2nd & E7th Street, across from Virage (look for the awning and cafe tables).

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,062 times
Danceteria was at 30 West 21st St. The building is now luxury condos.

The exterior of the Magic Club was the Audubon Ballroom on Broadway at 165th St in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan. The Magic Club sign and a few other details were added to the front of the building just for the film. The building had historical significance, as it was where Malcolm X was shot. Most of the building was demolished to make way for a business centre in the 1990s, but part of the facade has been retained in the new building.

Sadly, Love Saves The Day did close down in January 2009, after four decades of business. The premises, on the corner of 2nd Ave and 7th St, is now a restaurant.

The cinema where Des worked was at 144 Bleecker St, but is no longer there.

Battery Park looks very much like it does in the film still.

I'd like to know where the Dragon Noodle location was, and the alleyway beside it, with the stairs leading up to Des' apartment. Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: