U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2009, 02:06 AM

6 posts, read 13,657 times
Default Working in Yorktown Heights, want to live close to NYC..

Hi,

I'm entertaining a possible contract work at Yorktown Heights (IBM Research Center). I'm coming from Dallas, TX. I'm single 30+ male and I've been wanting to move back to the east coast to be near old friends and the NYC scene.

Where should I get an apartment with fairly easy commute to work in Yorktown Heights and is close to NYC? I have a budget of around $1500+/mo for apartment.

Should I just stay in Yorktown Heights? and maybe save money. What is it like in Yorktown Heights? It seems like country and I'm probably gonna be bored living there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cowboy1015; 08-12-2009 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:08 AM

7,081 posts, read 23,915,559 times
YES - save your money. Especially working as a contractor I don't know why you'd want to spend all your money on housing.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 AM

154 posts, read 349,793 times
You can always visit NYC easily.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 AM

6,494 posts, read 7,877,071 times
It's not much cheaper anymore in northern Westchester than closer to the City. I think the other posters are thinking about living in Manhattan itself, which would greatly complicate your commute and be a lot more expensive.

My bet would be for you to look at White Plains. Fairly short (but not "next door") commute to Yorktown Heights (and little/no traffic as it is "reverse commuting"), a small night life of its own, and great train access to Manhattan. Since schools aren't a big concern, you could save a little more living a bit closer to the city in either Yonkers or the Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon, but it will make the mileage part of your commute a good 25 miles each way and the part from there to White Plains will have traffic as people do commute in that directions (for a good 15 years I commuted from Fleetwood to Peekskill).

Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
ESS

6 posts, read 17,769 times
I actually used to work at the IBM Research Center as a co-op (now stuck in Poughkeepsie, although trying to change that) and had a couple of co-workers who lived in Brooklyn that made the commute up to Yorktown. I was told it was only about a ~45 commute one way from Brooklyn (they had a specific route they took that avoided most of the traffic). So if you're looking to live *in* the city, I know it can be done.

You can also look at living within in the city of White Plains. It might be possible to find a place within walking distance from the train station. But other than that, the area around Yorktown is a boring as Mod cut: languagesuburb. Most of Westchester is like that, with the exception of White Plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1015 View Post
Hi,

I'm entertaining a possible contract work at Yorktown Heights (IBM Research Center). I'm coming from Dallas, TX. I'm single 30+ male and I've been wanting to move back to the east coast to be near old friends and the NYC scene.

Where should I get an apartment with fairly easy commute to work in Yorktown Heights and is close to NYC? I have a budget of around $1500+/mo for apartment.

Should I just stay in Yorktown Heights? and maybe save money. What is it like in Yorktown Heights? It seems like country and I'm probably gonna be bored living there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-12-2009 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM

10,526 posts, read 10,900,572 times
I'd say White Plains as well. You can easily get to the city on the express train, it has a city feel, and you'll be able to easily commute to Yorktown.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 PM

9,283 posts, read 15,083,908 times
White Plains is a good recommendation, though if you don't want that much of a city feel, I'd also look at Tarrytown. Both offer an easy commute to Yorktown, and are within easy reach of the city. Tarrytown is only a few minutes to White Plains, but it's characterized by smaller-scale buildings and has a village center as opposed to the more urban (by Westchester standard) White Plains with taller buildings.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,657 times
Thank you for all your recommendations. I was actually looking at White Plains when I was checking Google Map. I might probably live there if I accept this job.

The thing is, I'm not 100% sure if I wanna move back to the east coast. I'm having second thoughts now If I should rather just stay here in Dallas.

Maybe you all can weigh in about my dilemma here..
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post10244698

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-12-2009 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Fixed the link to the other thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City