Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
Obviously there is a market for it. It saddens me to think that there is in fact a market for it. I used to think it was all for tourists, but then they put things like Olive Garden and Outback in neighborhoods that aren't for tourists.

So who's going there? It must be people living in NYC. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I take a little offense to that. I have recently moved to NYC and every single time we came here to visit and aparmtent shop we ate at a little local resturant. I love little independent resturants. I think they are great. But I think its great that they also have chains. Did you ever stop to think that maybe some NYC peeople went on a vacation to Florida or somewere and ate at a TGI Fridays or and Olive Garden and thought "wow I wish there was one near me" and now there is. If something as small as a chain restraunt in ur precious untouched by tourists neighborhood is enough to make you sick it makes me wonder how you would deal with something that actually is a BIG deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I take a little offense to that. I have recently moved to NYC and every single time we came here to visit and aparmtent shop we ate at a little local resturant. I love little independent resturants. I think they are great. But I think its great that they also have chains. Did you ever stop to think that maybe some NYC peeople went on a vacation to Florida or somewere and ate at a TGI Fridays or and Olive Garden and thought "wow I wish there was one near me" and now there is. If something as small as a chain restraunt in ur precious untouched by tourists neighborhood is enough to make you sick it makes me wonder how you would deal with something that actually is a BIG deal!
I agree with this. I much prefer independent restaurants because there's just so many that I feel like I'll never have time to try them all, but if people want to eat at chain restaurants, then let them. Who really cares what other people want to eat? No one is forcing anyone to go there... so don't.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I agree with this. I much prefer independent restaurants because there's just so many that I feel like I'll never have time to try them all, but if people want to eat at chain restaurants, then let them. Who really cares what other people want to eat? No one is forcing anyone to go there... so don't.

exactly! There are some REALLY good chains our there and there are some sucky independent resturants. I think it would be a little weird if there were ONLY independent resturants just like it would be annoying if it was all chains. Its a mix! thats why it's great.

and I still love fridays so there

Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
There is a Domino's "pizza" on 41st near Port Authority (I forget exactly where).

In a town that has so much good Pizza, the fact that they can survive is a sad sad commentary on peoples exposure to good food (or lack thereof).

Chains push out the locals. Subway sandwiches outright suck. They are overpriced for what you get on them, and basically poor quality formulaic sponsor based pieces of poo, but they are pressuring local delis and other shops.

I know that there is a reason for a lot of these places, but it is really sad when a commercialized spot can force out any local competition because of their relatively low overhead, and their combined national advertising dollar.

And don't even get me started on overexpansion of a brand name. When I go to Dunkin, I want a DONUT, not a flatbread sandwich!!!!
Midtown has lots of chain restaurants/food courts which cater both to locals and tourists on a budget. Manhattan has become Disneyland--literally a lot of it is owned by Disney, or so I've heard. But having lived in Manhattan most of my life (now in the Bronx) it is easy to find any type of cuisine you want there, in any price range.

I also don't see the downside about Dunkin Donuts expanding their menu, esp if it offers more "healthy" fare. These chains are in stiff competition with each other. That's one reason Starbucks nearly bit the dust, and McDonald's is doing better (they've introduced lattes to their menu now, and of couse Dunkin Donuts has always been well known for their coffee).

Here in the Bronx, Applebees and similar spots are actually a big step up the food chain (so to speak). When faced with nothing but pizzareas (actuallly some good ones), bad Chinese, a few diners, and lots of fast food places, it seems to bode well for other things to come.

When the Kingsbridge Armory opens, I think we will see major changes.

And as far as small businesses in this area: some will be forced out, but some mom and pops will hopefully survive. But there are some mom and pops who in my opinion don't really merit staying in business, either because of cleanliness issues, service, or even discrimination (I've experienced this one multiple times, being a white girl in a mainly black/hispanic enclave).

There was, unbelievably, a Starbucks on East Fordham Road years ago but it shut down. Conversely, the Dominos Pizza on E Fordham shut down a month or two ago, along with some other long time stores. The area is in flux for sure.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Midtown has lots of chain restaurants/food courts which cater both to locals and tourists on a budget. Manhattan has become Disneyland--literally a lot of it is owned by Disney, or so I've heard. But having lived in Manhattan most of my life (now in the Bronx) it is easy to find any type of cuisine you want there, in any price range.
The outer boroughs have a bit of a benefit in having locals. Midtown is a different animal. Not many "Local" peopel there ever!

Quote:
I also don't see the downside about Dunkin Donuts expanding their menu, esp if it offers more "healthy" fare. These chains are in stiff competition with each other. That's one reason Starbucks nearly bit the dust, and McDonald's is doing better (they've introduced lattes to their menu now, and of couse Dunkin Donuts has always been well known for their coffee).
Actually, it does do them damage when they over-expand. When I grew up, DD was a place for a fresh Donut, made in the back room. You could smell the new batch being made and hoped for one of your favorites to be brought in off the cooling rack next! Now? I see the box truck delivering them, have no idea when the coffee was last made, and see rather sad bagel sandwiches being sold on even sadder bagels. I am not even getting into the ones that share their space with Baskin Robins or Taco Bell. It just feels like a further cheapening of what was a cheap but reliable chain....

Quote:
Here in the Bronx, Applebees and similar spots are actually a big step up the food chain (so to speak). When faced with nothing but pizzareas (actuallly some good ones), bad Chinese, a few diners, and lots of fast food places, it seems to bode well for other things to come.
That is just doubly sad. Do not get me wrong. Coming initially from the 'Burbs I thought TGIF was the bees knees, until I found the genuine pubs and whatnot here in the city.

Sometimes it takes a good Lager to make you realize Bud is pee.... (I know, I probably insulted someone ELSE with that one!!! )

Quote:
When the Kingsbridge Armory opens, I think we will see major changes.

And as far as small businesses in this area: some will be forced out, but some mom and pops will hopefully survive. But there are some mom and pops who in my opinion don't really merit staying in business, either because of cleanliness issues, service, or even discrimination (I've experienced this one multiple times, being a white girl in a mainly black/hispanic enclave).
In Hoboken I am seeingthe opposite. We are getting more Subways, Starbucks (3 now), Qdoba and other chains coming in because the smaller places keep getting pushed out by high rent. A great homey place went out 2 years ago (Ted and Joes) and has not been replaced (they got shoved out shortly before the crash), and other smaller places seem to be shuffling in and out only to be replaced by Capital One banks, Chain Foods, or cell phone stores.... Kind of sad....

Quote:
There was, unbelievably, a Starbucks on East Fordham Road years ago but it shut down. Conversely, the Dominos Pizza on E Fordham shut down a month or two ago, along with some other long time stores. The area is in flux for sure.
Flux can be good. I just like to see local in mine......

Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
The outer boroughs have a bit of a benefit in having locals. Midtown is a different animal. Not many "Local" peopel there ever!

Actually, it does do them damage when they over-expand. When I grew up, DD was a place for a fresh Donut, made in the back room. You could smell the new batch being made and hoped for one of your favorites to be brought in off the cooling rack next! Now? I see the box truck delivering them, have no idea when the coffee was last made, and see rather sad bagel sandwiches being sold on even sadder bagels. I am not even getting into the ones that share their space with Baskin Robins or Taco Bell. It just feels like a further cheapening of what was a cheap but reliable chain....

That is just doubly sad. Do not get me wrong. Coming initially from the 'Burbs I thought TGIF was the bees knees, until I found the genuine pubs and whatnot here in the city.

Sometimes it takes a good Lager to make you realize Bud is pee.... (I know, I probably insulted someone ELSE with that one!!! )

In Hoboken I am seeingthe opposite. We are getting more Subways, Starbucks (3 now), Qdoba and other chains coming in because the smaller places keep getting pushed out by high rent. A great homey place went out 2 years ago (Ted and Joes) and has not been replaced (they got shoved out shortly before the crash), and other smaller places seem to be shuffling in and out only to be replaced by Capital One banks, Chain Foods, or cell phone stores.... Kind of sad....

Flux can be good. I just like to see local in mine......

it sounds to me like you are living in a very sad world. There will always be chains and local resturants. There is no such thing as this independent resturant filled utopia that people seem to be searching for. The next thing people are going to start saying is there should be no chain clothing stores only botiques.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 AM

Try the west village and get back to me.

PS:

The thing is, NYC IS one of those places that has much more of the independent than the chain stores. It is one of the reasons I like it so much. If I want a TGIF/Applebees/Bennigans/Houlihans/Boston Market/Chilis/Red Lobster et all, I can simply drive up and down Route 17 in NJ (where I came from). Hell, I can drive just about anywhere in NJ, or even in many places of teh country and get just that.

They just aren't special.

If I wanted them, I can go elsewhere to get them.

I miss the smaller shops, and the good asian food when I go elsewhere, so when I hear about more chains opening up in Manhattan, I get sad.

I guess this is a bit different being that it is NOT in Manhattan and may bring a bit of gentrification to a run-down area, but coming from the 'burbs, I am not looking forward to the city becoming the worlds biggest outdoor mall!

(BTW, clothing stores have little bearing on something like food. There is just a different vibe connected to each. And while I do resent seeing ads for the Gap and Target all over, I am now sitting in a pair of Gap slacks. In fasion, there just arent many small shop places that are affordable, unlike food...)

Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Try the west village and get back to me.
last time i checked i lived on the boarder of chelsea and the west village.

Quote:

If I wanted them, I can go elsewhere to get them.

some people dont want to have to drive out to NJ to go to a chain. People who live in the city and don't have a car maybe? Why deprive an NYC family of wanting to eat at FGI Fridays for a birthday party of something and actually being able to get there without renting a car.

Like I said. Which if some family went on vacation somewhere and ate at the Olive Garden (ew in my opinion) or Applebees and came back to NYC and really liked it and wanted to go when 'lo and behold they couldn't becasue the closet one is an hour away. Theres no reason to think that family would only eat at chains. For all we know someone in the family could OWN a resturant. I thought the great part of NYC was there was a little something for everyone. Also, there are no Targets in Manhattan lol just adds for Targets. Most non chains can't really afford the advertising on one of those time square tv things thats why u see those adds.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
last time i checked i lived on the boarder of chelsea and the west village.
You lucky......

Nevermind.

Quote:
some people dont want to have to drive out to NJ to go to a chain. People who live in the city and don't have a car maybe? Why deprive an NYC family of wanting to eat at FGI Fridays for a birthday party of something and actually being able to get there without renting a car.
I guess when they are as common as Starbucks to a Manhattanite growing up, you just don't look forward to seeing them after you have moved away from them!

Quote:
Like I said. Which if some family went on vacation somewhere and ate at the Olive Garden (ew in my opinion) or Applebees and came back to NYC and really liked it and wanted to go when 'lo and behold they couldn't becasue the closet one is an hour away. Theres no reason to think that family would only eat at chains. For all we know someone in the family could OWN a resturant. I thought the great part of NYC was there was a little something for everyone. Also, there are no Targets in Manhattan lol just adds for Targets. Most non chains can't really afford the advertising on one of those time square tv things thats why u see those adds.
I know what you are saying. I know pretty much why they are here ([q]mostly[/i] because of the tourists), but most of the people I work with that have worked and lived in the city most of their lives also look at the chains a little sarcastically. All have eaten at them one time or another, but they just do not feel "new york"-y...

Most are not the end to civilization as we know it, but still, Dominoes in a town that has no shortage of Italians? I am still wondering how the one in Hoboken is still around!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
You lucky......

I know what you are saying. I know pretty much why they are here ([q]mostly[/i] because of the tourists), but most of the people I work with that have worked and lived in the city most of their lives also look at the chains a little sarcastically. All have eaten at them one time or another, but they just do not feel "new york"-y...

Most are not the end to civilization as we know it, but still, Dominoes in a town that has no shortage of Italians? I am still wondering how the one in Hoboken is still around!!!
Chains aren't supposed to feel New Yorky? Thats why they are chains...They have a uniform feel in every place...Thats the whole point of a chain

Also I am an Italian. I love Dominoes. Also I have yet to see a place serve actual Italian pizza as I ate in Italy at any AUTHENTIC Italian resturant. What Italian resturants here serve is the americanized Italian. In italy you will rarely see a meatball and Pizza doe is more like a cracker. But I am not gonna deny anyone endless soup and salad at Olive Garden even tho I personally think their food sucks and it is an over rated place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City