U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
1,526 posts, read 5,137,802 times
Reputation: 299

Advertisements

It just opened; went there yesterday and it was a pleasant, if surreal, experience.

Just like the commercials, in fact...right down to two young girls swinging open the inner doors and saying in unision: "Welcome to Applebees!" lol.

It was quite a nice change for the hood. An actual "restaurant" with very attentive service, young, eager staff, good margarita, good food, reasonable prices--not cheap cheap, but not exorbitant.

I think it's a great addition to the newer zietgiest developing around there. The plaza has a Best Buy, reopened Sears, Walgreens, and outdoor flea market with some seating, so it's good that shoppers actually have a real restaurant option.

Large, clean space; bi-level; contemp pop playing (Alison Morrisette, etc).

Applebees is trying to expand their reach into the Bx and upper Manhattan, I believe; I think there are two new Bx restaurants now.

I wished them good luck and said I'd pass the word on. Try it, you'll like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 AM
 
Location: South Bronx
1,277 posts, read 2,132,046 times
Reputation: 1030
Yes, the Applebee's at the gateway mall is open, Most of the stores at the mall are now open (Best Buy, HomeDepot, Raymour & Flanigan) I've never been a big Apple bee's fan, but it's a local option for bronx residents, I believe the nearest one before was in New Rochelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Eastchester, Bronx, NY
1,085 posts, read 1,966,743 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Yes, the Applebee's at the gateway mall is open, Most of the stores at the mall are now open (Best Buy, HomeDepot, Raymour & Flanigan) I've never been a big Apple bee's fan, but it's a local option for bronx residents, I believe the nearest one before was in New Rochelle.
Actually there's one in Co-op City at Bay Plaza.

Nothing against Applebee's but I wish they opened more TGI Friday's here. Those are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM
 
Location: BK All Day
4,480 posts, read 8,571,275 times
Reputation: 4299
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Nothng against Applebee's but I wish they opened more TGI Friday's here. Those are better.

I love Friday's...their chicken fingers and french fries and brownie obsession...OH and their Jack Daniels burger! This is making me sooo hungry....

Not gonna lie Fridays is my guilty pleasure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 AM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 8,914,503 times
Reputation: 3703
This is rather sad. One of my favorite things about the city is it's comparative lack of chain restaurants.

There aren't a lot of dining options in the Bronx, but it's an opportunity for small business owners to create places that reflect the community. This is New York, not Any-Old-Suburb, U.S.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
1,526 posts, read 5,137,802 times
Reputation: 299
If you lived in the Bx, you might think differently lol

In my hood, the "dining" options are mighty sparse. Yes, it reflects the community, but only one small (very poor) segment. Pizza joints, bodegas, Burger Kings, McDonald's, KFC and other fried chicken joints, bad Chinese takeout....sounds pretty chain restaurant-ish to me, and not in a great way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,847 posts, read 22,122,031 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
It just opened; went there yesterday and it was a pleasant, if surreal, experience.

Just like the commercials, in fact...right down to two young girls swinging open the inner doors and saying in unision: "Welcome to Applebees!" lol.

It was quite a nice change for the hood. An actual "restaurant" with very attentive service, young, eager staff, good margarita, good food, reasonable prices--not cheap cheap, but not exorbitant.

I think it's a great addition to the newer zietgiest developing around there. The plaza has a Best Buy, reopened Sears, Walgreens, and outdoor flea market with some seating, so it's good that shoppers actually have a real restaurant option.

Large, clean space; bi-level; contemp pop playing (Alison Morrisette, etc).

Applebees is trying to expand their reach into the Bx and upper Manhattan, I believe; I think there are two new Bx restaurants now.

I wished them good luck and said I'd pass the word on. Try it, you'll like it!
There is also the Dallas BBQ's by the Deegan. I have not gone to it yet, but have heard it's the usual decent Dallas BBQ experience. I'm glad these types of businesses are coming to the area, it can only be good.

I've been to the Applebees by the Gateway and it was decent also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,847 posts, read 22,122,031 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
This is rather sad. One of my favorite things about the city is it's comparative lack of chain restaurants.

There aren't a lot of dining options in the Bronx, but it's an opportunity for small business owners to create places that reflect the community. This is New York, not Any-Old-Suburb, U.S.A.
The opportunities have been there and nobody took advantage of them except the typical fried chicken or chinese joints. Plus there is an actual lack of these chain type sit down restaurants in the Bronx. They are actually a welcomed addition. On top of that considering the exact location a chain restaurant makes more sense there. It goes well with the rest of the lineup.

I do hope more small businesses get encouraged by this and take a chance at opening quality places in the Bronx. The people in the BX I've noticed are very loyal to local favorites and if you have a quality product you can do extremely well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
1,526 posts, read 5,137,802 times
Reputation: 299
I also think that once the Kingsbridge Armory project gets underway we may have more food choices restaurant wise and otherwise (there was talk of an healthy alternative food store; who knows, maybe a Whole Foods or something like that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Morrisania, Bronx
731 posts, read 1,828,280 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Actually there's one in Co-op City at Bay Plaza.

Nothing against Applebee's but I wish they opened more TGI Friday's here. Those are better.
TGI Friday's is coming to the Bronx too! They will be opening at 1750 East Gun Hill Road (just east of Gunther and Allerton Avenues, west of the New England Thruway). This is at the same site where Circuit City once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top