Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 PM

142 posts, read 505,151 times

Advertisements

Every year for as long as I can remember, the 7 train gets voted the best in the city, according to NY1. But then I read that there's constantly construction work on the tracks and it's a very frustrating train to be dependent on. Which is true? Thanks!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Both are true. The #7 line is without question the most heavily used line in the entire system. As well as the most frequently run; during rush hour, trains leave the terminals at three-minute intervals. Because of the frequency, the line takes a heavier pounding than many others, and requires more maintenance.

One of the miracles of the system, for which it doesn't often get much praise or recognition, is that despite the volume of traffic, it runs 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Some parts of the 7 subway line have a good view of part of the Manhattan skyline which is nice.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Some parts of the 7 subway line have a good view of part of the Manhattan skyline which is nice.
Yea, from Queensboro Plaza to Hunters Point, you can get quick views of the skyline.

Seriously though, I live on the 7 line, and it's a love-hate relationship. I can honestly say that the majority of the time when I leave my house to take it, there's construction and I have to do the whole go the opposite way of where you're going to come back on an express train that skips your stop. I really don't know how it gets voted the best, other than the fact that so many people use it.. I'd consider a lot of other trains way more reliable than the 7.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,446 times
Personally, I can't wait until the MTA extends the 7 to Javits. I could've used it a few years ago when I was working in that area. I also heard conflicting things about their willingness to put a station at 10th Avenue & 42nd Street (to follow Times Square and precede Javits). It doesn't make much sense to NOT have a station there.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Yea, from Queensboro Plaza to Hunters Point, you can get quick views of the skyline.

Seriously though, I live on the 7 line, and it's a love-hate relationship. I can honestly say that the majority of the time when I leave my house to take it, there's construction and I have to do the whole go the opposite way of where you're going to come back on an express train that skips your stop. I really don't know how it gets voted the best, other than the fact that so many people use it.. I'd consider a lot of other trains way more reliable than the 7.
You can also see a bit of Manhattan in the distance before the train goes underground to Main Street. But there mainly the view is local.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Personally, I can't wait until the MTA extends the 7 to Javits. I could've used it a few years ago when I was working in that area. I also heard conflicting things about their willingness to put a station at 10th Avenue & 42nd Street (to follow Times Square and precede Javits). It doesn't make much sense to NOT have a station there.
The original plan DID include a station at 10th & 42nd. I believe MTA wants to eliminate that station as a cost-cutting measure (which goes to show you what happens when appointed bureaucrats are running a railroad, instead of urban mass transit professionals). If that extension winds up being built without the 10th Avenue station, it will be a mistake we'll be regretting for decades to come.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The original plan DID include a station at 10th & 42nd. I believe MTA wants to eliminate that station as a cost-cutting measure (which goes to show you what happens when appointed bureaucrats are running a railroad, instead of urban mass transit professionals). If that extension winds up being built without the 10th Avenue station, it will be a mistake we'll be regretting for decades to come.
That's seriously one of those great spots that you wonder why there ISN'T already a subway station there.. I really hope they don't cut it out, but it seems like it's likely that they will. I've been looking forward to this station and the Javitz Center stop for YEARS, but I still have yet to see anything being done to create them.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I've been looking forward to this station and the Javitz Center stop for YEARS, but I still have yet to see anything being done to create them.
Don't worry; it's pretty high up on the priority list. The #7 extension will be in operation well before we see the 2nd Avenue subway.

Incidentally, if you look at the way subway lines are laid out on the West Side of Manhattan, there was a very interesting possibility that was apparently never even considered...

From the terminal of the L line (8 Ave/14 St), it's only a block and a half to Tenth Avenue, owing to the fact that Manhattan's Hudson River coast does not run in a straight line north-to-south at this point. That line could've been extended up Tenth, and with the #7 coming down Tenth from 42 Street, there could have been a two-level station at Javits Center facilitating a transfer between the L and #7 lines, also effectively creating three sides of a loop in midtown--something New York's subway has never had.

But...what do I know? I just work for the company. I'm not a $500,000 consultant whose advice--no matter how ridiculous--would have been accepted without question.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Both are true. The #7 line is without question the most heavily used line in the entire system. As well as the most frequently run; during rush hour, trains leave the terminals at three-minute intervals. Because of the frequency, the line takes a heavier pounding than many others, and requires more maintenance.

One of the miracles of the system, for which it doesn't often get much praise or recognition, is that despite the volume of traffic, it runs 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Yep. I live on the 7 now and, unlike other trains I've lived on, I don't get upset if I just miss it coming out of work since another one will be along VERY soon.

A few months ago there was a major inconvenience on the weekends due to maintenance, but I was out of town most weekends and, for the first time in my life, owned a car, so I wasn't personally affected by that. A lot of other people in my neighborhood had to wait in the cold for shuttle buses to other lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City