Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:05 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention that there's a VA Hospital in The Bronx, in Kingsbridge Heights, which would take your mother all of five to ten minutes to drive to from many parts of Riverdale. Riverdale is also a fairly easy area to keep a car, even on the street, just be aware of the alternate-side regulations. Riverdale is quite suburban in places as well, and it's quiet. As I said earlier, though, it can be a hunt, but not completely impossible in your price range, especially if you are open to a multi-family house.

Eastern Queens could also work, since I think there's a VA Hospital in St. Albans, but it's more to the nursing home as opposed to a VA hospital. It would take less than 20 minutes from Bayside, for example.

You are right to sell your car, since you would not need to be a two-car family as with one vehicle in a suburban-like setting in the city, you should be able to get around fairly easily, depending upon neighborhood.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 PM

26 posts, read 118,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
If you live on Staten Island or Queens, you could probably use a car for your grocery shopping or whatever. However, a car anywhere in the 5 boros (except the very outskirts of Queens/closer to LI) can be a major hassle. Finding a place to park is an adventure in itself. I don't think it's worth it.

On an NYPD salary and a VA-CNA salary, you should be able to swing more than 1K/mo for rent. In your position, I would expect to pay $1400/mo plus utilities (ConEd, Time Warner, etc)

Something you should keep in mind: Just because you're taking these tests doesn't mean you're going to get the job right away. You said you "took and passed the whole process for the NYPD," Do you mean you took/passed the test? Or have you already been called in for the interview, physical, etc? You realize you can be on the waiting list for quite a while before being called for the academy, right? The NYPD is pretty desperate now for recruits so the wait may not be "that" long but it's not an overnight process, either.

I wish you guys luck, either way. Your mom may not like the fast pace of Manhattan, but I'm sure she'll love living in the 5 boros.

Thank you for your help!
When i said passed the whole process i mean i passed the written exam, medical, oral/written psych interview, and also the JST agility test. So when as i said its a waiting process.

Also I am not in the NYPD yet, so therefore I cant consider that into my monthly expenses, as far as what im living off of.

Right now my mother is making about 38,000 a year, not including the little bit I make a month with my part time job. Some say pay rates for C.N.A's especially the veterans hospital workers do make more money compared to out here in MASS.

As far as the car, i understand it will be a hassle, but like my mom said she is kinda stuck taking it because she has only 1 yr left to pay on it, if she gives it back that could end up meaning more of a hassle for her. Kinda a tuff situation at the moment.

Also BMWguy Thank you for those areas. My mom is interested in the BayRidge VA. She is not interested really in working for the nursing home VA, she did that for years and hated it and so now that shes on a better unit, she hopes to transfer and stay in the same unit. Altho, she did say she is willing to do what she has to do, as long as she is still working for the VA which shouldnt be a problem. I explained above why my mom needs to keep her car, only for a year tho and they she will be done paying it off and so that will be extra money in her pocket every month.

there is so much id like to say and have questions about, i just dont even know where to begin haha. Today I went to Barnes and Noble and got a NewYork Map and so what me and mom are trying to do is really narrow our city search down. find cities close to the VA's. look at them on the computer to find out crime rate etc, and then she can put in for the VA and transfer. As far as rents and looking on craigslist, its just not dependable. I told her you all have mentioned to go thru a real estate agent, and so once we look at the cities we will try and find a decent agent.

Man what a process ! lOl

Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
The Bay Ridge VA would make Southern Brooklyn or Staten Island the most convenient locations, both of which are safe and have more reasonable rents.

Regarding the car: on Staten Island, I would consider the car a necessity because of the suburban nature of the borough and it would be the only reasonable way to commute to Bay Ridge, but it would be a quick trip across the Verrazano Bridge. The toll to cross the Verrazano is $11 (only when you enter S.I., not both ways). Staten Island residents are eligible for a significant discount.

A car would be less of necessity in Brooklyn, but depending on specifically where you are, owning, or not owning a car could be inconvenient. It depends on your specific location. For example, Bay Ridge has everything you need within walking distance or a 5-minute subway ride, but the adjacent neighborhood of Dyker Heights has no subways and is more car oriented.

In the more far-flung parts of the boroughs, public transportation is fine for a 9-5 Manhattan commute but is much less convenient for day-to-day activities.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
The Bay Ridge VA would make Southern Brooklyn or Staten Island the most convenient locations, both of which are safe and have more reasonable rents.

Regarding the car: on Staten Island, I would consider the car a necessity because of the suburban nature of the borough and it would be the only reasonable way to commute to Bay Ridge, but it would be a quick trip across the Verrazano Bridge. The toll to cross the Verrazano is $11 (only when you enter S.I., not both ways). Staten Island residents are eligible for a significant discount.

A car would be less of necessity in Brooklyn, but depending on specifically where you are, owning, or not owning a car could be inconvenient. It depends on your specific location. For example, Bay Ridge has everything you need within walking distance or a 5-minute subway ride, but the adjacent neighborhood of Dyker Heights has no subways and is more car oriented.

In the more far-flung parts of the boroughs, public transportation is fine for a 9-5 Manhattan commute but is much less convenient for day-to-day activities.
yeah the tolls are something that we will need to get used to once living out there. I had looked up the EZPASS which seems like it would be a good purchase for residents of NYC. im sure it still is another monthly expense though. something that we here in mass arent used to lol.

I was surprised when looking at Williamsburg and Greenpoint that they are only 8-15 minutes away from BayRidge where the VA is located. The map had made it seem much further but mapquest gave a pretty accurate distance/time frame. not bad at all !

Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allofme4yu View Post
yeah the tolls are something that we will need to get used to once living out there. I had looked up the EZPASS which seems like it would be a good purchase for residents of NYC. im sure it still is another monthly expense though. something that we here in mass arent used to lol.
Yes. E-Z Pass is a must. You get discount for using it, and you get through the toll booths much more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allofme4yu View Post
I was surprised when looking at Williamsburg and Greenpoint that they are only 8-15 minutes away from BayRidge where the VA is located. The map had made it seem much further but mapquest gave a pretty accurate distance/time frame. not bad at all !
Hmm.... maybe in the absolute best circumstances that trip would take 15 minutes. I can't imagine it ever taking 8 minutes. The segment of the Gowanus/BQE expressways between the two are often jammed up, especially in the Eastbound direction. There has been a construction project on the Gowanus between the BQE and Belt Parkway for at least three years. The BQE going through Downtown Brooklyn is usually at least under speed, when it is not completely jammed. If I were going to make that drive, I would allocate 30-40 minutes.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Yes. E-Z Pass is a must. You get discount for using it, and you get through the toll booths much more quickly.

Hmm.... maybe in the absolute best circumstances that trip would take 15 minutes. I can't imagine it ever taking 8 minutes. The segment of the Gowanus/BQE expressways between the two are often jammed up, especially in the Eastbound direction. There has been a construction project on the Gowanus between the BQE and Belt Parkway for at least three years. The BQE going through Downtown Brooklyn is usually at least under speed, when it is not completely jammed. If I were going to make that drive, I would allocate 30-40 minutes.

whoa! thats alot of directions, and info regarding which way to travel haha oh boy this is going to take alot of getting used to.

do ya think its alot quicker to take a subway, or train? whatever its called in NY. I believe its subway.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:16 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,828 times
You will be able to find an apartment here on SI. Easy to tAke ferry to manhattan when u are in the academy. Staten island is very differntly from the north shore to the south. Check it all out!! Easy to own a car here, no alternate side of the street here, lol. Also, many many cops live here too!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You could find a studio apt. for about $1000 a month in some good neighborhoods in Queens such as Astoria, Rego Park or Forest Hills. You might be able to find a tiny one bedroom (basement apt.) in Jackson Heights in Queens for about about $1200 a month.
I think it easier to use a real estate agent in NYC to find an apt. than finding an apt. by oneself.
Jackson Heights isn't such a great idea. I also personally do not like Astoria, but that is just me, a lot of people seem to like it.

Staten Island is not as easily accessible as some of the other boros b/c there are no trains or subways that go there...just a ferry and a bus, and I'm not sure if they run all hours of the night. SI and some parts of Queens you really need a car for. Brooklyn and Bronx you could probably do ok without one. Astoria, Forest Hills, & maybe Bayside you could probably be ok without one...but further east, like Bellerose or Douglaston etc. I would say you would probably a need a car, as I don't think the subways go there.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
You will be able to find an apartment here on SI. Easy to tAke ferry to manhattan when u are in the academy. Staten island is very differntly from the north shore to the south. Check it all out!! Easy to own a car here, no alternate side of the street here, lol. Also, many many cops live here too!!!

Hi SINY, I had visited Staten Island when I went and did my JST there for the NYPD. It seemed to be a decent place. When I had taken a taxi back to my hotel, he had traveled down some streets that were very hilly, and it kinda reminded me of a mini mini San Francisco( just my opinion)

I didnt get to visit the whole island, but the area I did see was pretty decent. Much more laid back compared to the busy main ny area. I liked it and when I had thought of moving on my own, I decided to go for SI. Once my mom added that she wanted to move with me, that kinda changed things and now we are looking at Brooklyn.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Hello,

I'd suggest you seriously wait until you have a position with the NYPD or other service; because $38K is NOT a lot of money here in NY. It is pretty much bottom line and will be hard pressed to support the both of you. Also, I rather doubt your mother will receive a serious bump in salary by moving to NYC. Her salary seems about right for an experienced union CNA.

You will need only ONE car. Your mother apparently would be most comfortable in the low density areas of the city. Staten Island is a good candidate for her. A car will be necessary, but give good thought as to whether her salary can stand the bridge toll, which is onerous to say the least. Also, being a young person, one imagines that you'll be exploring the nightlife of Manhattan as much as possible. Understand, the trip back to S.I. late at night is distant and can be difficult. Unless things have changed (haven't been on the ferry in a long time) the ferry stops running at a certain time. Miss that boat and your stuck in Manhattan with a long and costly taxi ride home. So food for thought.

Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge in Brooklyn (just over the bridge) are also good places for your mom. Also, better night time commuting for girls hanging late in Manhattan. Though taking a taxi late night is more the norm, than the subway.

Queens, someone mentioned Bayside, but there's also Glendale, Maspeth, and perhaps another place or two, where you may find in your rent range; but for $1,000 we're probably talking a **basement** apartment. Good enough for a start, as long as your mom can handle it. Also, basements are in homes, so look for ones with a driveway/garage with available parking. You may have to pay a little extra.

If you make the move, make sure you become immediately familiar with "Alternate Side Parking" rules. Otherwise you'll be facing $100 tickets!! A place to park off street avoids this altogether.

Also, what makes you want to become a police officer and/or go into other enforcement in NYC? You do realize its NOTHING like on TV!!! I'd suggest you along with a friend from NYC, go and peruse some of the city's more unsavory neighborhoods---because, as an rookie NYPD officer that is where you'll be posted. Not exactly the place for a suburban female non-NYer with a gun. Frankly, we've had enough of the "scared to be her with a gun--bang, bang 41 times" police officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City