Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:51 AM

3,034 posts, read 7,909,730 times

Advertisements

What about other NFL player Dui kills someone,slap on wrist,I might be wrong,30 days,saying this in passing.Guns,Guns?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:56 AM

154 posts, read 535,294 times
2 years is too long for gun possesion... i think a couple months is appropriate. 2 months is a long time, especially in prison.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:58 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,973,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
What about other NFL player Dui kills someone,slap on wrist,I might be wrong,30 days,saying this in passing.Guns,Guns?
Yea.. because that didn't happen in New York. State laws are different.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,596,657 times
Yes, at first glance it would seem inequitable because the dogfight guy got off pretty easy. But as it's been pointed out, it's a state by state issue, and gun laws have become much more toughly enforced now.

Whether you do what he did, or if you kill someone while drunk, promote dog fighting, or whatever, it's all punishable. And when you're a big football star or rap star or movie star or musician, etc. you set an example. So when stars go down, it sends a message to folks who think if they get rich and famous their dreams will come true. IMO, it's a curse...no privacy, sycophants as "friends," and the eye of the law on you more because of your prominence in the public eye.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:40 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,449,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Forever being the jackass who shot himself is punishment enough.

No, it's not. It's not about shooting himself... it's the potential of what could have happened, it's the fact that he carried an illegal handgun into a night club, it's the fact that he thought it was "ok" to break the laws of NYS.

People like this need to be taught an actual lesson. They are NOT above the law simply becuase of their "celebrity" status or the size of their bank account.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:03 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
People like this need to be taught an actual lesson. They are NOT above the law simply becuase of their "celebrity" status or the size of their bank account.
You got THAT right! A little less celebrity and a little more responsibility can't help but be an improvement. (Of course, we all know it isn't going to happen. But it's nice to dream!)

Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,596,657 times
Yes, apparently, I think his gun was "legal" from the state he got it in, but illegal in NY. And I'm glad that they are pressing hard and enforcing our stricter gun laws. Some from other states may argue the point, but in our city having people walking around with unregistered guns is just not acceptable. Even cops sometimes abuse their power and innocent folks get shot, and of course sometimes cops get shot. Either way, it's tragic. And accidents do happen; sometimes a child will get shot by their own parents, or a kid will shoot another kid etc etc. That's an "accident" that takes away another life--forever--in a second.

Combine that with alcohol, and who knows what might have happened. If the guy was so inept he actually shot himself...duh

I believe the deal now is you get jail time the first time, no exceptions.

In general, our culture has turned the myth of fame inside out. Used to be that any indescretion was covered up by the press. Now it's completely the opposite. Which serves as a valuable lesson, just like Greek mythology (lol). Our "gods" are larger than life, and their downfalls are equally so.

So I say, it's a good lesson esp for young folks who idolize pop stars and sports figures (since so many aspire to this goal and dream of instant fame and fortune). Everyone wants "instant" gratification, so a little "instant" dose of reality seems only fair.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,121,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
No, it's not. It's not about shooting himself... it's the potential of what could have happened, it's the fact that he carried an illegal handgun into a night club, it's the fact that he thought it was "ok" to break the laws of NYS.

Besides, maybe he will learn something. You have money? You are NEVER the one to carry the heat. You hire "friends" to do that for you.

What a Dumb.......

Old 08-25-2009, 04:45 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,449,607 times
Now this idiot (Plaxico) is blaming the club owners/management claiming they knew he had a gun with him. Is that supposed to change something??? Does he think that's going to lower his sentence?? What a moron!

Like I said, he won't do the full 2 years. He'll be out on "work release" in no time.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:15 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,841,110 times
I think Plaxico is an idiot but probably for different reasons than MOST of you.
First mistake not knowing how to handle a weapon safely.
You DO NOT stick a handgun in the waist band of a pair of sweatpants.
If you are going to carry use a good holster that is properly secured.
Maybe go to a gun range with an NRA certified instructor and take lessons and practice gun safety.
Don't expect to learn SAFE gun handling techniques from watching TV cop shows or movies.

BTW I do visit the NYC area at times but I live in Nebraska. During the 1970's and 1980's I drove a truck into the NYC area delivering various things like meat and groceries and heavy equipment. I always had a weapon in the truck. I never shot and killed any of your citizens but on several occasions I did show a weapon and would have used it if necessary. AND yes technically I was violating New York gun laws. BUT New York gun laws violate the US Constitution!!

Plexico is guilty of being an IDIOT and nothing else.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City