Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,195 times

Advertisements

According to UBS, New York City has the world's most expensive housing/renting prices.

What do you think? Surprised?

Last edited by Bo; 08-20-2009 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US - single city rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:19 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Manhattan or the outer boroughs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
According to UBS, New York City has the world's most expensive housing/renting prices.

What do you think? Surprised?
My daughter rented a one bedroom in Queens for $750 a month. It was a very short train ride into Manhattan if one worked there. That is a lot of money? No, not when you consider what the salaries are in Manhattan.

Again, people have to get away from the mindset that all of NYC is only Manhattan.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,112,557 times
"World's most expensive"? I'd be surprised if that were true.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My daughter rented a one bedroom in Queens for $750 a month. It was a very short train ride into Manhattan if one worked there. That is a lot of money? No, not when you consider what the salaries are in Manhattan.

Again, people have to get away from the mindset that all of NYC is only Manhattan.
$750 for a single bedroom in Queens is expensive, even though that's probably in a African American community. It doesn't matter if the salary in New York is high, it's still expensive for rent. You're daughter probably lives/lived in ghetto street

Old 08-20-2009, 02:01 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
"World's most expensive"? I'd be surprised if that were true.
I agree. What about London or other European countries? Isn't Tokyo really expensive too?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:10 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I agree. What about London or other European countries? Isn't Tokyo really expensive too?
Considering how weak the US Dollar is to the Euro, UK Pound and Yen, and can't imagine NYC has the most expensive real estate in the world. I read somewhere Hong Kong and Moscow were up there in price too.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
NYC has a similar cost of living to San Francisco.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Astoria is a very nice area

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
$750 for a single bedroom in Queens is expensive, even though that's probably in a African American community. It doesn't matter if the salary in New York is high, it's still expensive for rent. You're daughter probably lives/lived in ghetto street
I was especially surprised since my husband is from Queens (Maspeth) and we owned a home in Middle Village for 10 years and rented it for over a year.

Astoria is a very nice area and very short commute to Manhattan. $750 is a lot of rent? We have rented our condo in Florida for $900 a month and jobs here pay NOTHING close to NY.

BTW, Astoria is a Greek area and my daughter is a young NYC teacher. She isn't making what Florida teachers make with her experience.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:33 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Tokyo is actually cheaper than NYC, just marginally though.
The rent is far cheaper in Tokyo as well. You could pay 2K a month and live in Shibuya, where as here, its just enough to get you into some new development up in Harlem, or somewhere good in Brooklyn or Queens. I should note though that PSF pricing is higher in Japan, but unlike NYC, you aren't totally shut out of the market and forced to go to some undesirable location if you can only pay less than 1K a month. and when you compare the sizes of an average Manhattan apartment to one in Tokyo, they work out to be comparable.

Incidently this UBS report does not say that New York is the most expensive city to live in in the world, just in this country, its listed 5th most expensive in the world. London is the most expensive city to live in according to the report with 120% of NYC's cost of living. Tokyo is listed here to have a cost of living which is 94% of ours. From my experience, considering how low crime and non polluted Japan is, I'd much rather live there for the amount I'd have to live to pay here. If only they'd stop staring at me because I'm black...

Last edited by ddhboy; 08-20-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
From my experience, considering how low crime and non polluted Japan is, I'd much rather live there for the amount I'd have to live to pay here. If only they'd stop staring at me because I'm black...
LOL, my friend is a Black Marine and lived there for a few months. He said that he got looks but most were just fascination(he's a good-looking guy too). He said that the Japanese woman loved him and he couldn't get enough, apparently they loved him as much as Australian women. I'm not sure if it were because he were black, good-looking or both.

Anyways, I always thought that Tokyo was much more expensive than NYC, I guess I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: