Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 PM

89 posts, read 242,484 times

Advertisements

Just returned from a visit to NYC. Took a bus tour and the tour guide pointed out the Colgate Building and said it was designed to look like a tube of toothpaste. My hubby and I looked at each other and said, "I don't see it!" Is it true or was the guide pulling our leg? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
The Colgate-Palmolive building is supposed to resemble a tube of toothpaste now? Well, I think the guide might have been misinformed or playing a joke, since it's a mid-century International Style building, complete with horizontal bands that were designed to suggest the structure of the building that alternate with the wrap-around windows.

I don't see how anyone could claim that the building represented anything like a tube of toothpaste, save for the setbacks as the building ascends above Park Avenue. It makes for good folklore, however. Ha! And, I hope the guide did not tell you other things about the city that might be more myth than fact, but as long as you had a good time, that's the important thing.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,265 times
I think those tour guides tend to stretch the truth a little to make their presentations more entertaining.

For example, a few weeks ago, I took my mother on one of those double-decker tours when she was visiting. The tour guide pointed out that the Citigroup Center's angled roof was designed for solar panels, but the building faces the wrong direction, implying that a big engineering blunder had been committed. This seemed hard to believe so I fact-checked it. The reality is that the angled roof was built mostly just to impart a distinctive style, but was also intended for the possibility of terraced apartments going up the slope like stairs. When the city refused to grant a zoning variance for apartments, the solar panel idea was studied but dropped, apparently for cost/benefit reasons. The roof does not face an optimal angle for the most efficient collection of sunlight, even though it generally faces south.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:30 PM

89 posts, read 242,484 times
Our guide was 82 and I think he made up quite a bit of info while on the tour. He was very entertaining!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elise61 View Post
Our guide was 82 and I think he made up quite a bit of info while on the tour. He was very entertaining!
Sometimes those guides are the best, though the "facts" are best taken with a good measure of salt. There's usually a kernel of truth, though, upon which some of the myths are based. It seems like you enjoyed the tour, and I hope NYC!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,265 times
Most people don't know that NYC guides have to be officially licensed in order to work legally, and the exam to obtain the license is very difficult - you really have to know your stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City