U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 AM

15 posts, read 38,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Hey everyone,

I will be living in Fresh Meadows and working in downtown manhattan. I take it the F Train is safe even at night. So taking the F Train in the morning (3-4AM) after partying in manhattan and walking home is also safe I guess?
Anywhere in NYC has the possibility to be unsafe. But in certain neighborhoods in better or worse than others. Theres the slums and the people in it and then theres money neighborhoods and the people in it.

Some nice neighborhoods in Queens: Maspeth, Middle Village, Ridgewood (above Cypress Ave), Forest Hills, Rego park (west of Queens blvd), Kew Gardens/ Briarwood (above Hillside)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM

203 posts, read 390,721 times
You live in Fresh Meadows and taking the F train at 3-4am...would you also be transferring to a bus to get home. That is a long ride. I think any train at 3-4 in the morning has a possibility of being unsafe.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM

288 posts, read 298,552 times
I know, it is a long ride ... I wish it was shorter. Actually, I don't mind walking to the subway station. I just haven't done it by night yet. But the neighborhoods I walk through don't appear to be unsafe in any way. I'm just a bit worried about the subway stations and if there are other people riding the F train to 179th st. in the middle of night. I would feel uncomfortable to be one of ther only people on the train.

I guess taking a taxi from manhattan to flushing would cost a fortune (if I even find a driver who's willing to take me).

Old 11-20-2009, 03:05 PM

131 posts, read 233,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
I know, it is a long ride ... I wish it was shorter. Actually, I don't mind walking to the subway station. I just haven't done it by night yet. But the neighborhoods I walk through don't appear to be unsafe in any way. I'm just a bit worried about the subway stations and if there are other people riding the F train to 179th st. in the middle of night. I would feel uncomfortable to be one of ther only people on the train.

I guess taking a taxi from manhattan to flushing would cost a fortune (if I even find a driver who's willing to take me).
I used to ride the F from 179th to Roosevelt Ave. in the middle of the night last summer and transfer to the 7 to go to work early in LIC. Not too many people on but I didn't really feel unsafe, it was just desolate.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 PM

288 posts, read 298,552 times
So after a few months of riding the F Train late at night I'm happy to report that it's a very safe ride. I never had problems even early in the AM, drunk and half asleep.

It's not like the train's packed (especially in queens) but there are a few people who ride to the last stop and the 179th st station doesn't strike me as particularly scary. I've felt more unsafe at certain manhattan or brooklyn stations late at night.

My feeling is that as long as you're minding your own business you're fine. Then again, crazy people can bother you on any train at any hour of the day, ans muggers can wait for you everywhere. So I guess you can never be sure. But as long as the F Train goes, I don't see where the problem is. And as someone wrote a few pages back, there are no crazy people on the train until manhattan

Old 01-17-2010, 05:24 PM

27 posts, read 49,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoSo View Post
since the F train runs along Hillside Ave, which seems to be the divider between South Jamaica and North Jamaica, I am concerned about general safety of the ride
Actually the divide of Jamaica and South Jamaica is the E train/LIRR tracks/Liberty Ave. The area between the E train (Archer Ave.) and Hillside Ave (F train) are what is really "Jamaica". Hillside and above is Jamaica Estates.

People tend to confuse Jamaica and South Jamaica, hence people claiming Jamaica is unsafe whereas it's really South Jamaica they're referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City