Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times

Advertisements

I am visting NYC for a week for my 20th Birthday from the 18th thru the 26th. and was wondering what are some fun things to do in the city that wont cost a lot of money. I'm bringing about $750, is that enough to have fun and party a little.

And is it easier to get around in NYC by car or by public transportation, from Atlanta and have also lived in Chicago so I know how to ride a subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 PM

19 posts, read 68,671 times
what are your interest ?? where are you staying .. ? hotel ? friends house ? are you male or female. I live in NYC and can give you some recomendations if you like based on your interest.

Last edited by lenape; 08-22-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenape View Post
what are your interest ?? where are you staying .. ? hotel ? freiends house ? are you male for female. I live in NYC and can give you some recomendations if you like based on your interest.

I've found a decently priced hotel near central park. And I like to do everything at least once. The only thing I know I truly want to do is ride the subway, visit the statue of liberty and empire state building. I'm a Male.

I've always wanted to see a play on broadway

Old 08-22-2009, 12:56 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I've found a decently priced hotel near central park. And I like to do everything at least once. The only thing I know I truly want to do is ride the subway, visit the statue of liberty and empire state building. I'm a Male.

I've always wanted to see a play on broadway

I don't understand the attraction to the empire state building. But the statue of liberty is pretty cool. I know your a guy but in the same vicinity as battery park there is downtown seaport and it has cute shops and resturants right on the water and t here are a bunch of little "acts" like puppets on the street and stuff.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:56 PM

19 posts, read 68,671 times
You dont need a car. Your main transportation will be the subway. Get a good subway map. You can also take a taxi anywhere as well. The Statue of Liberty is in downtown manhattan and they have ferry boats that go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I would get the tour that goes to both the statue of liberty and ellise island. while you are in that area, you should go to the South Street Seaport which is very near ( walking distance). Plenty of places to eat at the seaport. You should also go to chinatown and little italy which are near each other as well. Many places to eat in both of these areas. Chinatown has many cheap places and there are street food vendors that have good food. There is also a feast in little italy Sept 17 - 23. Plenty of vendors with all kinds of Italian food. I would also recomend the Greenich Village and Soho. Great for walking around, plenty of interesting shops and restauarants and cafes. You cant drink alcohol as the age is 21 in nyc. Other interesting places in downtown are wall st, and the federal building as well as trinity church. try the pizza in ny and the hot god vendoras as well. good luck

Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM

154 posts, read 535,790 times
instead of Empire State Building i think its better to visit the "Top Of The Rock" it got a better view in my opinion.
TOP OF THE ROCK

Other things you can do are, visiting Roosevelt Island, the island itself isnt that interesting but the Tramway gives you a nice view. And it cost the same as a subway ride.
Roosevelt Island Tramway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also visit Central Park and rent a bike, and afterwards get a drink or something to eat at The Central Park Boathouse
Central Park Boathouse* ::Welcome to Central Park's hidden secret:: (for the bike rental)
The Central Park Boathouse* ::Welcome to Central Park's hidden jewel:: Loeb Boathouse

Whats cool and free is the Staten Island ferry, you have a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge, Jersey, Staten Island and Downtown Manhattan from the ferry.
Staten Island Ferry Information

other things that a fun to visit are Harlem (especialy 125th Street, avoid the PJs, use your streetsmarts and you'll be fine.) Guggenheim Museum(if your interested in art), and all what the other members posted before me )

Good Luck and Have Fun

Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace09 View Post
instead of Empire State Building i think its better to visit the "Top Of The Rock" it got a better view in my opinion.
TOP OF THE ROCK

Other things you can do are, visiting Roosevelt Island, the island itself isnt that interesting but the Tramway gives you a nice view. And it cost the same as a subway ride.
Roosevelt Island Tramway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also visit Central Park and rent a bike, and afterwards get a drink or something to eat at The Central Park Boathouse
Central Park Boathouse* ::Welcome to Central Park's hidden secret:: (for the bike rental)
The Central Park Boathouse* ::Welcome to Central Park's hidden jewel:: Loeb Boathouse

Whats cool and free is the Staten Island ferry, you have a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge, Jersey, Staten Island and Downtown Manhattan from the ferry.
Staten Island Ferry Information

other things that a fun to visit are Harlem (especialy 125th Street, avoid the PJs, use your streetsmarts and you'll be fine.) Guggenheim Museum(if your interested in art), and all what the other members posted before me )

Good Luck and Have Fun
Thanks for the idea of the Rockefeller building I will go there to get some great shots of the skyline as well as that tramway thingy to.

And thanks to everybody for the great advice on everything. I am also going to that Italian festival, cause I love to eat.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
If you have any interest in visiting museums, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (on 5th Ave/East side of Central Park) & the American Museum of Natural History (on the West side of Central Park) have a suggested contribution for admission (meaning you can pay whatever you wish/can afford).
If you visit the South St. Seaport and you like walking you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (which is nearby) and gives you a good view of the city. On the Brooklyn side, you can go the Brooklyn Heights promenade for a good view of Lower Manhattan. At the end of promenade there is a street with nice little restaurants with outdoor seating that is nice.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,839 times
You can rent out a party trolley. I did that for my recent bday in NYC and it was awesome! [mod]No recommendations with less than 10 posts, per Terms of Service.[/mod]

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-31-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City