Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 40,379 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of 3333 broadway, the building on 135th and Broadway? I was told that it would be very safe as they have 24/7 security and tons of cameras. I'm a female student and I would be living by myself in a studio. It is newly renovated and gorgeous. It just seems too good to be true. I'm signing the lease on Tuesday. I realize that Hamilton Heights isn't the best of areas but I figure this is the best i'm going to find for my budget ($1200). The building assures me that I don't have to worry about being safe and that this is a great place to live. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is security an issue in this building? Anyone advise against it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
not trying to sound rude, but there is a whole thread about this particular building.....do a search for it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2009, 02:45 PM

I didn't mean to sound redundant. I saw that the post were dated from 2006 and 2007 and people said that the area was changing. I was just wondering if anyone had any updated information.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:18 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
the surrounding area itself is safe but i cant speak on the building itself. now just because i say its safe doesnt mean that i will walk around there with jewelry on at 3 AM. but its an ok neighborhood.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2009, 07:48 PM

I appreciate it!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,309 times
Default @ nystu

So did you end up signing the lease? I am having a hard time saying "yes" also and have been frantically searching the internet for more info on this building. I'm not stupid.....there's a reason why these beautiful remodeled apts are still just 1500. There's a catch to everything. I had a chance to speak to the security guys, etc... and got a sense that it was ok, but not this great place to live. I mean...the security guys don't necessarily make me feel....er...secure. And one of them had his head down texting which is a little more concerning since he's supposed to keep an eye out. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from going. No charm. Great view, great apt...but that's all I see. I came across this article and I think after reading it...I"m going to pass on this building. Pay close attention to the third to last comment by a resident (or alleged resident) and the last one which sounds like it's coming from a real estate agent.

[url]http://www.columbiaspectator.com/2009/03/31/residents-3333-broadway-face-two-worlds[/url]

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-07-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,778,676 times
The reason is that it's at 135th and Broadway!

Is it safe?

Well, that depends on your definition of safety!

Define that, and maybe people can comment.

IMO, if you can't tell whether it's safe, then you don't have the streetsmarts to know. If you don't have "streetsmarts", then, imo, most of NYC is not safe for you.

That said, everything in NYC is a matter of compromise. The more money you have the less you have to compromise; the less money you have the more you have to compromise.

$1,200 is at the bottom level as far as rents go in NYC, particularly re Manhattan! The choice of compromise is yours. Perhaps, finding roommates in an area/building that you would feel more safe is a better idea; or, trading convenience (distance) for more perceived safety. That or take your chances.

In addition, if your "dream come true" translates to this:

Quote:
the property management firm is seeking to draw a class of higher-paying tenants. But this means clearing out apartments rented by low- and moderate-income residents, especially those with vouchers through Section 8—an affordable housing program that subsidizes rent of privately-owned homes with funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s public housing authority.
“They [Urban American Management] advertise beautiful studio apartments with hardwood floors and new countertops, but that’s not what the rest of us have,” Santana said, “It’s a double-standard.”
I add this bit of advice, 'what goes around comes around'....

Morality is a matter of choice and sacrifice.

Referencing that article's title, 'what world do you choose'?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:06 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,022,073 times
I'd be more worried about this (from the article about the building linked to above)

"Residents’ complaints about leaky faucets, rodent problems, and vandalism often go unaddressed."

Leaky faucets, ok, but rodents and vandalism ? Inside the building? Not a good sign.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 12,401 times
we are about to move in ourselves, is there really a safety issue? I am about to have a baby and I am really nervous that we may have made a big mistake.
Can someone please let me know if all these things are true?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Sorry about the late response. So I've been here for a month and honestly, I feel as though I made the right decision for my needs. I absolutely love my studio. It's a gorgeous, sizable room and its so relaxing once I walk through my doors.(Lol, can you tell it's my first place?) My faucets aren't leaky. I haven't had any rodent problems but I do take out the trash frequently and keep all my food in sealed containers. I've heard grumblings about the elevators but I personally, haven't had any problems with them. My neighbors have been friendly and you do get the sense that the building is going through gentrification (for the good or the bad). Subtle, but you do see a diverse crowd of people (well depending on the time of day). I also see a lot of kids around the morning times. People hold elevator doors and start small talk and all that. (But then again, I'm receptive to that kinda thing so maybe people do that more often with me) Everyone kinda assumes I'm dominican and may say something short in spanish to me like ask what time it is. The security guards really are a joke. I guess something is better than anything but they seem like they seriously just chill all day. They really do suck and they do the bare minimum. The train stop (137th and broadway) is really safe. There is always a mta guard or police. Im usually on the train early in the morning(about 7) and return late at night(around 10) and there is always a huge group of people. In general, there is a huge police presence at night. It is a busy area and a huge building. The outside looks crappy and its the hood, but for this price range thats what you get. If I were to get back around 2/3am, I would take a cab or bring a friend or something. All that being said, I really do like it. There are probably nicer areas for families that may not have as much activity. However, I'm comfortable here and one month in I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City