Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 11,214 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are currently living in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn and are looking to move by October 15th. We are looking for a 1-2 bedroom a little closer to the city. Only problem is we are working on a budget of no more than $1,400.

I don't want to live in areas like Bushwick/East NY/Williamsburg. Was thinking more like Midwood/Kensington. We have been searching Craig's List and so far have only found one place in Midwood to look at.

Does anyone have any ideas on where we can search besides Craig's List and which areas we can consider?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:57 AM

7 posts, read 14,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue523 View Post
My boyfriend and I are currently living in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn and are looking to move by October 15th. We are looking for a 1-2 bedroom a little closer to the city. Only problem is we are working on a budget of no more than $1,400.

I don't want to live in areas like Bushwick/East NY/Williamsburg. Was thinking more like Midwood/Kensington. We have been searching Craig's List and so far have only found one place in Midwood to look at.

Does anyone have any ideas on where we can search besides Craig's List and which areas we can consider?

Thanks.
If you're looking for a nice neighborhood that's reasonably priced, you should look at Bay Ridge. Well maintained 1 bedrooms in older buildings are in your price range. I pay $1250 for a decent sized 1 bd in a very nice building.

Bay Ridge also has terrific restaurants and good shopping.

The downside is that it's a long commute into Manhattan on the R and N trains. Still a lot more convenient than Sheepshead Bay though.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:05 AM

154 posts, read 535,887 times
maybe you can consider living with roommates, it gets you better housing for less money.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:22 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Perhaps you would consider living in a 1 bedroom in Queens (Astoria, Rego Park, Forest Hills).

Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks.

We have looked into Bay Ridge but time-wise, the commute isn't so different.

We're not looking to have roommates as we both already live together and I don't think I could handle roommates after my college experiences a few years ago lol.

As for Queens, we did think about it but SO also goes to school in Brooklyn so wouldn't be the best decision.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:03 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Gosh, why do folks suggest a long commute, when they want a shorter commute. They already have a place to live, its the commute that's the issue.

Anyway....

Hi, Midwood is a good bet in your price range. The problem is that most of the good apartments are generally rented through a broker. Not a lot is posted to Craigslist. Unfortunately, a broker comes with a fee.

As long as you can handle the fee, I suggest you just take the train to Avenue J, get off, and peruse the Avenue, you're bound to come upon a RE office.

You might also go a few stops more to Cortelyou Road in what's called Ditmas Park. Very nice little growing community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortelyou_Road_(BMT_Brighton_Line)

Brownstoner: What's on Tap for Cortelyou Road?

If You're Thinking of Living In/Ditmas Park and Ditmas Park West; Spirited Enclaves With Grand Homes - The New York Times

Brownstoner: Ditmas Park

Because Ditmas Park Is the New San Francisco - Reasons to Love New York 2008 -- New York Magazine

Again, you may have to utilize a broker in Ditmas Park.

You also may wish to try Astoria, Queens, which is affordable in your range, 30 minute commute to midtown, with restaurants and nightlife, and lots of young transplants. Much more lively than Sheapshead Bay or Midwood, or even Ditmas Park. Oh, and there always LOTS of listing on Craigslist, many if not most "no fee".

Check out all your options.

Luck!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Rental prices have taken a dip, and though I'm not sure, you might even check Williamsburg listings and environs. I opened another thread re: a NY Mag article that says developers took a beating on all the overdevelopment, so the spillover effect might make it easier to find affordable housing for awhile at least.

I would never use Craigslist. Check the free online real estate listings for the New York Times, NY Daily News, NY Post, and broker's listings etc.

You might check Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens, which might be a better commuting option. Prices have risen there over the years, but again, this is a good time to look for price reductions due to the housing market downturn.

The two hoods are very beautiful and you can often get a floor through in a beautiful private house; downside is I hear the resident/landlords can be a pain if they're too persnickety.

Go to the NY Times online Real estate section and search in Bklyn rentals in your price range. You can also narrow it by neighborhood. If you get some hits, you'll get an idea of what's realistic in your range. Good luck!

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-27-2009 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: same poster, same topic, same thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. I will look into those areas and check out the listings.

I've had a horrible time with Craig's list. It seems like mostly everything is a scam and those that aren't, are really not such nice places. I found my current apartment through CL a couple years ago but things have changed and it seems like most people are just out to make a quick buck.

I would love to live in Brooklyn Heights/Park Slope but since everyone has realized that they are good alternatives to Manhattan living - it seems like the rent prices (esp in bklyn heights) can sometimes be higher than those in the city. Guess I will wait until I hit the lotto to move there. :-)

Thanks again.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffabcc View Post
If you're looking for a nice neighborhood that's reasonably priced, you should look at Bay Ridge. Well maintained 1 bedrooms in older buildings are in your price range. I pay $1250 for a decent sized 1 bd in a very nice building.

Bay Ridge also has terrific restaurants and good shopping.

The downside is that it's a long commute into Manhattan on the R and N trains. Still a lot more convenient than Sheepshead Bay though.
I totally agree. If you don't mind doing some leg work come on down to Bay Ridge and check out a couple of the local neighborhood papers. You can pick them up at any of the many little stores here and from what I've seen they are the key to some of the best deals to be had!! The Spectator is one of the papers.

Like jeffabcc said the R/N ride can seem long but WAY BETTER than coming in from Sheepshead Bay.

Good Luck

Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. I will look into those areas and check out the listings.

I've had a horrible time with Craig's list. It seems like mostly everything is a scam and those that aren't, are really not such nice places. I found my current apartment through CL a couple years ago but things have changed and it seems like most people are just out to make a quick buck.

I would love to live in Brooklyn Heights/Park Slope but since everyone has realized that they are good alternatives to Manhattan living - it seems like the rent prices (esp in bklyn heights) can sometimes be higher than those in the city. Guess I will wait until I hit the lotto to move there. :-)

Thanks again.
Brooklyn Heights is, traditionally, the most prestigous and expensive neighborhood in Brooklyn, its also the oldest. That's why prices are so high.

Park Slope is second, and is also the "trendy" neighborhood for yuppies, singles and those looking for "family space" (Prospect Park is a big draw); the lower slope (and the whole slope in general) is know for its openness and is lesbian friendly, and, in recent years, has become the area for trendy yuppies (as opposed to hipsters) with lots of trendy bars and restaurants. The Slope has also become rather attractive to a certain type of celebrity, and certain people of serious means. All of this is reflected in the prices.

Quote:
Like jeffabcc said the R/N ride can seem long but WAY BETTER than coming in from Sheepshead Bay.
I can't agree. The express train from SH Bay to downtown Brooklyn and/or midtown is zippy as heck---far less stops, I believe, than the R/N. If going to other places, you'd need to transfer and that can be annoying for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City