Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 45,188 times

Advertisements

I am beginning my job search in Nyc , but I am unsure of the market for engineers in the green building industry. I also am hesitant to submit my resume due to the fact that I am currently located in the dc metro area. My current lease isn't up until the beginning of April , should I Start looking this soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,701,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nije123 View Post
I am beginning my job search in Nyc , but I am unsure of the market for engineers in the green building industry. I also am hesitant to submit my resume due to the fact that I am currently located in the dc metro area. My current lease isn't up until the beginning of April , should I Start looking this soon?
yes. it could take until the beginning of april for you to find something, in this market.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 PM

I'm not sure how to start looking especially since I'm not in NYC yet and I'm still currently working at a job. I don't want my current job to know I want to leave next year. Should I start submitting resumes privately to individual companies?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 PM

132 posts, read 444,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nije123 View Post
I'm in the Atlanta area and presently looking for a job in NY also. I have been getting calls and email repsonses because my resume has a NY address, but on my cover letter is state that I am still working in Atl in the process of relocating to NYC. It does help.

Do you know anyone living in NY who's address you can use? Just my thought!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 AM

This job search is turning out to be much more difficult than I thought!!! I am trying to search for a job which allows for long term benefits. I'm considered entry level and have tried setting myself apart by emphasizing that I want to be in the green building industry. Typically how long does it take for someone to find a job out of state, what strategies can you offer? I'm becoming less and less optimistic, and I'm starting to believe that I will be trapped in the DC area for longer than I want to be.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:45 AM

917 posts, read 2,939,672 times
Do you have any friends that live in NYC? I used a friend's address while I was preparing for my move and that helped. I just said in my cover letter (and it was mostly true) that I was in the UK working on a freelance project and I would be returning to NYC on . . .

I got a few responses. Just don't make it sound like the move is up in the air. Make it sound like DC is temporary. Most people won't look at out of state because frankly most people who apply and say they would move never follow through.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 AM

176 posts, read 726,833 times
I've done this when I moved from NY to DE. First thing I did was update my resume and used a friends address. I put I was relocating and was available for interview immediately. I was at my job for a long time so I had vacation time. Some companies did the first two interviews over the phone and if they were further interested I was able to get on the bus and make it there in time for the interview, had to do this for both me and husband. It was worth it as we both had jobs lined up prior to moving. You can't make it seem like you will not be available for interviews you need to make yourself available once your contacted make immediate arrangement because remember they will be interviewing others and the longer you take to make that arrangment someone else could be hired. Start the process now privately because it will take time. It took us 3 months during that process for both us to find a job. Moving back to NY it took me a month. I would arrange like 3 interviews all at once and make a trip, that process took me a month back in 2004, I came to NY interviewed got job offered on the spot it was at the end of the year so my start date was 3 weeks later. The sooner the better if you are serious, you have to look at it as you live in NY and you have to have a job to pay your rent not as you're in DC and not sure, there has to be no other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City