U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 PM

411 posts, read 1,083,176 times

Advertisements

Now I know a parking spot in a garage in Manhattan costs as much as an apartment, but what are some common cars in New York? Do a lot of people have crappy, dinged up cars cause that's all they can afford or cause of people hitting or trying to break into the car? Do most of the people who can afford a car in Manhattan have a really nice, new car? Or are the majority of the cars in Manhattan from outside Manhattan? Anyway, that's some of the stuff I've heard? Are there a lot of crossover SUVs there like Ford Edges, Buick Enclaves, or Nissan Rogues? What kind of cars do people have there? Are a lot of them older because thats what it kinda seemed like from my pics of New York. Idk!!?!?! And feel free to post pics of cars you've seen in NY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 PM

922 posts, read 3,608,915 times
The short answer to your question is "all of the above".

You find all kinds of cars in Manhattan and the other boroughs, from crappy old beaters to Bentleys and Ferraris and everything in between. In fact, owning a nice BMW or Benz here is really not much of a status symbol. They are common. BMWs are especially common. Even the Bentleys don't really turn any heads.

If there is any commonality across the city I've noticed, it's that imports vastly outnumber domestics, and you do see a preponderance of dinged-up bumpers, which is what happens not only from tightly-packed street parking, but garage parking as well.

I've also noticed around my "semi-suburban" area of Brooklyn, a lot of imported crossover vehicles (I drive one myself), which are probably more popular here than in Manhattan. I also see a surprising number of full-size SUVs (Escalades, Expeditions) and even pickups and Hummers, which are not commonplace but certainly not rare. My next-door neighbor has a giant quad-cab Dodge Ram 3500, which is funny because he has a garage and driveway but the truck is too big to fit in either, so he has to street park it.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 PM

10,919 posts, read 27,889,483 times
You will see every kind of vehicle in NYC as Upstater has said. Even Astons, Lamborghini Gallardos and Rolls Royce Phantoms are not that uncommon, IMO. And, you cannot judge who drives what by their wealth, since cars are utilitarian for many in the city, and they are operating in a harsh environment.

What I do find hilarious, however, and have only seen in large numbers in New York, personally, are the Bumper Bully bumper protectors. They are hard rubber designed to protect painted bumpers when parking, and are supposed to be flipped up and into the trunk when driving, yet so many vehicles keep them out when driving all over town, making for a most unattractive vehicle. And, if that wasn't bad enough, many are dragging, or are otherwise improperly installed, so they look twice as bad.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-27-2009, 03:19 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,019,809 times
One thing though, since your not used to driving in NYC traffic, save yourself some trepidation, and the rest of us a headache, do NOT bring an SUV.

Nothing worse, than an out-of-towner in an SUV, who doesn't know his way around, is not used to the tight spacing, humongous traffic, nor the impatience of NY drivers---HONK! HONK!

Bring a small car that you can handle very well. Later, if you feel it necessary you can get something larger. A BMW 3xx series on the high end, or say a Civic or Corolla on the low end. A Mini even would serve.

Oh, and please do not sight-see in your vehicle. Driving 5 miles per down The Avenue of the Americas is a sure way to muck up traffic. Park and walk, or hire a taxi and let someone else do the driving.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 AM

35,704 posts, read 36,049,569 times
Some people simply don't own car in NYC (even if they can afford it). When they really need a car, they simply rent one.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,373,468 times
Ah, the questions that get asked from out-of-towners. You would think that NYC was some city in a bubble that was different from the rest of the country.

There is now yes or no answer here. People who own cars can have whatever car they want or can afford. Some people have a older used car and some have brand new Mercedes. The reasons why most people do not have cars is because Manhattan has an excellent (although old and run down) subway and bus system. You can pretty much get anywhere you want via the subways/bus and will probably get their faster than driving too. Since space is a premium in the city, parking is a luxury, so by not having a car - you can probably save about $300+ every month by not having to pay for parking.

Like Bmwguydc has said, exotics like bentleys and lambos can be quite common as well, so it is quite a mix.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 AM

40,051 posts, read 31,730,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Ah, the questions that get asked from out-of-towners. You would think that NYC was some city in a bubble that was different from the rest of the country.
You'd also think people would realize that asking such questions is much less helpful than coming here and checking things out with their own eyes--assuming that their intention was to come here in the first place. But, well, as we say around here, waddaya gonna do?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 AM

0 posts, read 1,466,504 times
I was in Manhattan last week and on the first day I saw a Ferrari Enzo ($1,000,000+ car) pulling out of a Central Parking gargae in Tribeca on Moore Street.

I think I also saw more Rolls Royce and Maybachs in my two day stay than I've ever seen my entire life living in Seattle. Lots of Lamborghinis too and a lot of exotic cars with Florida plates.

There definately are lots of different cars driving around NYC, especially on the higher end those idling black Mercedes S Class, Bentley and Escalades idling in front of buildings in Midtown or downtown. On the cheaper end, import cars like Nissan and Infiniti greatly outnumber American cars. I also rarely saw (non commercially driven) pickup trucks.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,373,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared0 View Post
I was in Manhattan last week and on the first day I saw a Ferrari Enzo ($1,000,000+ car) pulling out of a Central Parking gargae in Tribeca on Moore Street.

I think I also saw more Rolls Royce and Maybachs in my two day stay than I've ever seen my entire life living in Seattle. Lots of Lamborghinis too and a lot of exotic cars with Florida plates.

There definately are lots of different cars driving around NYC, especially on the higher end those idling black Mercedes S Class, Bentley and Escalades idling in front of buildings in Midtown or downtown. On the cheaper end, import cars like Nissan and Infiniti greatly outnumber American cars. I also rarely saw (non commercially driven) pickup trucks.
Yeah, I've realized that pick-up trucks are not as popular here in the city as it is in the South. Most people who want/need the space will generally own a full-size SUV instead.

Many of the idling S-Class and Escalades you see are limos/car services that are waiting to pick-up someone, so they are not really owned by someone.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM

40,051 posts, read 31,730,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
What kind of cars do people have there? Are a lot of them older because thats what it kinda seemed like from my pics of New York.
I'll tell you a secret, but you have to promise not to reveal it to anyone else. Ready?

New York City actually exists on the same continent, in the same era, as everything else around you. If you look at old pictures, you'll see old cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or