U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:54 PM

84 posts, read 240,097 times

Advertisements

Hello all--
I currently live in Minnesota with my husband and we are expecting our first child in August. I moved from NYC to Minnesota to marry him (family is here, cheaper life, lots of reasons we chose to start out marriage in MN), but we are planning to move back to NYC as soon as we are out of debt (approx. 1 to 2 years).

I have been searching the internet for a site, or a forum, or anything with pros and cons of raising a child in NYC.

Now, my questions...
Did you grow up in NYC?
If so, did you love it or hate it?
Do you plan to raise your kids in NYC? Why?
Do you recommend raising your kids in NYC?
What are some of the hardest things about raising children in the City?
What are some of the best things about raising children in the City?

I would just love to hear some honest pros and cons about family life in NYC. I have friends there raising their daugther and so far they love it, but she's only 2--so who knows when it comes to schooling... and my old pastors there raised their kids there-when the kids were little they lived in Brooklyn now they live in Manhattan-and both agree it was the most excellent experience for their children... I personally think it would be a positive thing overall, but I don't know yet what it's truly like to be a parent, so I would love to hear your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 02:11 PM

10,183 posts, read 23,058,039 times
Interestingly enough, my daughter, god-daughter and me talked about this very subject last night. We all happen to be in Pittsburgh (for different reasons).

The two girls were both brought up in NYC, Manhattan and Roosevelt Island. My god-daughter still lives in NYC; my daughter moved to Pittsburgh about 5 years ago.

We all agreed that growing up in NYC was one of the most positive experiences in their lives: they were exposed to more opportunities; they had both green and brown under their feet; they both got excellent educations; they feel they can tackle problems today as a result of living in a sometimes grimmy, but wonderful, exciting city. They talked (I mostly listened) about how it taught and exposed them to a wide range of social, cultural and economic experiences, strengthened their understanding of others and permitted them to take risks, none of which destroyed but enhanced their lives. My daughter also danced professionally after studying from the age of 4, and performed with several high calibre companies before changing her educational course--something she might not have been able to do in a smaller city/town.

They are now 36 years old, both professionals, went to good to excellent undergraduate and graduate schools, earn good salaries, make lasting contributions to their communities and play hard. My daughter is now married with two small children, and works full time; my god-daughter is getting married in September.

I can only add that I too was raised in NYC, and while my life was somewhat different, I too feel that growing up in this City was one of the major contributory factors to making me understand things earlier, quicker, and sometimes better than some of my friends who lived in 'burbs. The opportunities in NYC are almost unbeatable elsewhere, and I've now lived in three other countries, and 5 other cities/states and feel I appreciate and understand the differences.

It's probably a difficult decision to make, but not one that will make you suffer, but rather put you on high alert and fill you with promised challenges.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:46 PM

242 posts, read 869,429 times
It can be truly fantastic but it takes mucho dinero. I'm not saying money buys happiness or makes for good people or anything like that. But if you do not have a substantial income, NYC is an awful place to be. You won't be able to enjoy much of what it has to offer or live a comfortable life. For all it's joy, it is a very stressful place to live and worrying about money only adds to that. Simple tasks like grocery shopping take double the effort that they do in other places. Having comforts alleviate that stress and those cost money.

I wouldn't want to put a # on what would be a necessary income as it certainly varies, based on how different people live. But for a family of any size, you had better be well over $100k, if not over $200k.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:37 PM

9,626 posts, read 19,625,539 times
Did you grow up in NYC? Yeah and I'm still here for now

If so, did you love it or hate it? Mostly loved it.

Do you plan to raise your kids in NYC? Why? No, because it is just too expensive these days for the most part, which is a real shame. I would consider it under very specific situations. Under equal conditions, I would actually opt to raise a family in a city over a suburb.

Do you recommend raising your kids in NYC? Yes, under the right situation, you can raise excellent kids in NYC. I would recommend it for someone who has the financial means. I think you can't underestimate the positive impact, growing up in culturally rich city can have on a person.

What are some of the hardest things about raising children in the City? The lack of space to me is the hardest thing. I have to admit that it is oftly nice having your own backyard. But peer pressure which is often cited as a reason for raising kids in the suburbs can actually be worse in suburbs. However, as your kids get older and reach their teens, you might be a little more reluctant to let them go out on their own versus a suburb environment, and this can create a lot of hostility between parents and their kids.

What are some of the best things about raising children in the City? The culture. The non-reliance on cars and malls. These things create more well-rounded individuals.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-29-2007 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 03:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 31,696,308 times
I was born and grew up in NYC. And I love it. I have no kids, but my sister does and both of hers were also raised here.

There is NOWHERE on earth with the breadth of experiences, cultural, educational, or in any way, that even comes CLOSE to NYC. I wouldn't have traded the experience for the world.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:08 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,416,742 times
[quote=Viralmd;643397]

There is NOWHERE on earth with the breadth of experiences, cultural, educational, or in any way, that even comes CLOSE to NYC. QUOTE]

Agree with you 100%

Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM

91 posts, read 374,523 times
Ditto! I was raised in NYC, worked here and will now move our family to Oregon! But if it was more affordable, we'd never leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Did you grow up in NYC? Yeah and I'm still here for now

If so, did you love it or hate it? Mostly loved it.

Do you plan to raise your kids in NYC? Why? No, because it is just too expensive these days for the most part, which is a real shame. I would consider it under very specific situations. Under equal conditions, I would actually opt to raise a family in a city over a suburb.

Do you recommend raising your kids in NYC? Yes, under the right situation, you can raise excellent kids in NYC. I would recommend it for someone who has the financial means. I think you can't underestimate the positive impact, growing up in culturally rich city can have on a person.

What are some of the hardest things about raising children in the City? The lack of space to me is the hardest thing. I have to admit that it is oftly nice having your own backyard. But peer pressure which is often cited as a reason for raising kids in the suburbs can actually be worse in suburbs. However, as your kids get older and reach their teens, you might be a little more reluctant to let them go out on their own versus a suburb environment, and this can create a lot of hostility between parents and their kids.

What are some of the best things about raising children in the City? The culture. The non-reliance on cars and malls. These things create more well-rounded individuals.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,125,018 times
There are areas of NYC that have nice houses with yards (small of course). The North Bronx is one and some areas of Queens and even Brooklyn. The good thing about it is that city kids are more open-minded. You go to the suburbs and all people care about is how much money you have and all that bullcrap. Suburban kids always talk crap about other races (ex. dirty Mexicans, the "N" word, etc.). I'd say go for it.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:21 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,175,398 times
NYC is extremely racially polarized and you will hear the N word spoken by whites especially in the non-yup sections of Brooklyn and Queens. I have been in contact with kids like that many times. Beyond that though, I actually prefer some of the lower income suburbs around NYC to the yuppie ones because the kids have more real world experience overall. Most of the folks with kids that I know can not afford the really good NYC hoods and the ones w/o family in the area have left. The people that have stayed are satisfied to different degrees. Money still the biggest factor.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,125,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
NYC is extremely racially polarized and you will hear the N word spoken by whites especially in the non-yup sections of Brooklyn and Queens. I have been in contact with kids like that many times. Beyond that though, I actually prefer some of the lower income suburbs around NYC to the yuppie ones because the kids have more real world experience overall. Most of the folks with kids that I know can not afford the really good NYC hoods and the ones w/o family in the area have left. The people that have stayed are satisfied to different degrees. Money still the biggest factor.
True, but the suburbs are much worse about it. I've lived in Queens and they didn't say it in a bad way. But I also lived in the suburbs of Buffalo and wow, I've never seen anything like it. It was real bad.

All I'm trying to say is raising a kid in the city would be better in the future. Suburban kids have no culture but sitting in front of a tv and playing video games. NYC has so much cuture. I know it's helped me out a lot. When we moved from Queens to this little town near Buffalo, nobody had a personality. Their idea of culture was watching MTV. I felt so dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City