Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 AM

48 posts, read 91,776 times

Advertisements

I don't see many (or any) topics about Marine Park but loads on Bayside. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of why Marine Park is more "under the radar" as a nice area or am I mistaken? Those who are familiar with both areas...how do you think they compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocklandorLongIsland View Post
I don't see many (or any) topics about Marine Park but loads on Bayside. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of why Marine Park is more "under the radar" as a nice area or am I mistaken? Those who are familiar with both areas...how do you think they compare?
Bayside is bigger and has some nicer housing; it certainly has more "new" housing that Marine Park; its more suburban-like; it may be more car friendly; you don't have to go through what some may deem undesirable areas to reach it; Bayside is much more diverse; and, some may find Marine Park to be more ethnically Brooklyn "white", which for some may not be appealing. Bayside is less like that, or at least, it is considered less so.

How's that?

I'm sure there's more.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 AM

48 posts, read 91,776 times
Yes, Marine Park is not too diverse,there is a small minority population - myself included. I love this little nook in Brooklyn and have always wondered why (not complaining however) no one ever mentions this hidden gem. It is small with questionable surrounding areas (like Flatlands) which is probably why it isn't as desirable (??) but it does have a suburban feel.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
I had some family in Marine Park until recently. I can't figure why you'd want a secret to get out in NYC. Prices go through the roof when a place becomes widely thought of as a "nice" residential area. "Under the radar" is the way to go.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:49 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
Marine Park is great neighborhood. I live very close by. But the transportation/commuting edge would have to go in Bayside's favor.

I would assume that via the LIRR, a Manhattan commute is much quicker than from Marine Park, where you need to take a bus to the King's Highway B/Q station and or take an express bus. Either option is 75-90 minutes.

By car, Bayside has the Cross-Island, Clearview and the LIE close by, plus the Whitestone and Throggs Neck bridges. In Marine Park, your only way out is the often-congested Belt Pkwy or a slow crawl through Brooklyn streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City