Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I agree, I'd love the G so much more if I could just take it from 74th rather than having to go to 23rd/Ely... have to ultimately go in that direction either, but it's just easier taking one train. Also, I think part of the reason the G runs so frequently is because the line is so short! Compared to MOST of the other trains, it doesn't make even close to as many stops.
MTA has a decided lack of respect for the G line, because it doesn't make any stops in Manhattan. They have a plan to eliminate the run from Continental Avenue altogether--which could definitely be forestalled if enough people started A) contacting their local representatives, and B) making complaints. But you know what's going to happen: nobody will get up in arms about this until it's too late. As Joan Jett put in song, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 08:49 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
MTA has a decided lack of respect for the G line, because it doesn't make any stops in Manhattan. They have a plan to eliminate the run from Continental Avenue altogether--which could definitely be forestalled if enough people started A) contacting their local representatives, and B) making complaints. But you know what's going to happen: nobody will get up in arms about this until it's too late. As Joan Jett put in song, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."
I also think that the fact that the G only runs late night in Queens really hurts it's chances of being saved. Not that many people in this area take the G at all, because it's just not very common to see it.. I've literally seen the G three to four times in my entire life during the late night hours on 74th. In fact, a good portion of riders don't even know that the G makes stops outside of Brooklyn! It's a really weird, and somewhat brain-boggling occurrence... if I didn't think the MTA probably has better things to spend their money on, I'd love to see the G run to this side of Queens all day long!!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
The G has become a glorified shuttle for Greenpoint and Bed-Stuy residents....Its no longer what you call a "Crosstown" train....

The G could be a major Workhorse line of a subway if respected by the MTA and given proper "Crosstown" Status..

Full Service in Queens - Put the G back on Qns Blvd Full Time so that people can cut down on the transfers...(I should be able to get from Qns Center Mall to Bed-Stuy on 1 crosstown train on the weekends) NOT EVERYONE needs to go into Manhattan, MTA!

- Needs to have transfers built at Queens Plaza to Queensboro Plaza to connect with the N and W...Transfer at Broadway/Hewes to the JMZ.....Transfer at Fulton and Lafayette to Atlantic to connect the G and C trains to the Atlantic Hub

If the MTA would put this in place on the G, it would soon need much more than 4 cars, because ridership would explode...I would be much faster alot of times rather than taking an F or other line all the way through Manhattan to go from BK to QNS....

Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
If the MTA would put this in place on the G, it would soon need much more than 4 cars, because ridership would explode...I would be much faster alot of times rather than taking an F or other line all the way through Manhattan to go from BK to QNS....
I'll give you a little insight into the four-car business. There are supposed to be rules and regulations governing OPTO ("One Person Train Operation," or trains that don't have conductors). One of the factors under consideration is capacity.

Anyone who's ever taken the G line can tell you that those trains carry many more people than MTA likes to admit. There have even been petitions filed by politicians representing districts through which the G line runs, to eliminate the four-car trains. Thus far, MTA pretends that nothing is going on. As always (and I've said this before) putting things in public is the only way to put pressure on them. But, also as always, MTA counts on a general sense of apathy, if not outright defeatism, to go about their business.

It's supposed to be an agency in the public service. But when the public doesn't stand up and make itself heard, what do you expect?

Are you all aware of the proposal to eliminate the M line and have the V run from Continental Avenue to Metropolitan via Broadway Brooklyn? I personally don't think this is a bad idea at all--it would completely eliminate the need to make that crazy transfer at Essex/Delancey between 6 Avenue and Nassau Street trains. But there must be public hearings before the plan could be implemented. These typically have virtually no attendance...which is why MTA does whatever it feels like doing. I wonder if anyone who visits C-D is going to start speaking up in public?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'll give you a little insight into the four-car business. There are supposed to be rules and regulations governing OPTO ("One Person Train Operation," or trains that don't have conductors). One of the factors under consideration is capacity.

Anyone who's ever taken the G line can tell you that those trains carry many more people than MTA likes to admit. There have even been petitions filed by politicians representing districts through which the G line runs, to eliminate the four-car trains. Thus far, MTA pretends that nothing is going on. As always (and I've said this before) putting things in public is the only way to put pressure on them. But, also as always, MTA counts on a general sense of apathy, if not outright defeatism, to go about their business.

It's supposed to be an agency in the public service. But when the public doesn't stand up and make itself heard, what do you expect?

Are you all aware of the proposal to eliminate the M line and have the V run from Continental Avenue to Metropolitan via Broadway Brooklyn? I personally don't think this is a bad idea at all--it would completely eliminate the need to make that crazy transfer at Essex/Delancey between 6 Avenue and Nassau Street trains. But there must be public hearings before the plan could be implemented. These typically have virtually no attendance...which is why MTA does whatever it feels like doing. I wonder if anyone who visits C-D is going to start speaking up in public?
How about you make a topic whenever a public hearing is announced? It can double as a C-D meet and greet where something actually gets done.

Also, is there any possibility of the G connecting with more lines? It seems to pass by an inordinate number of lines in Brooklyn without actually having any transfers. It seems like these things would greatly expand the G train's usefulness.

Also, by MTA's schedule for the G (I'm neurotic so I actually look at the scheduled times), the G is off the majority of the time and sometimes by a significant amount. It's annoying.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:23 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler;12982768[B
]How about you make a topic whenever a public hearing is announced? It can double as a C-D meet and greet where something actually gets done.[/b]

Also, is there any possibility of the G connecting with more lines? It seems to pass by an inordinate number of lines in Brooklyn without actually having any transfers. It seems like these things would greatly expand the G train's usefulness.

Also, by MTA's schedule for the G (I'm neurotic so I actually look at the scheduled times), the G is off the majority of the time and sometimes by a significant amount. It's annoying.
I love the whole idea. I'll come. Maybe we should have a sticky for MTA hearings schedules?

Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
I'm the OP of this thread and after thinking that the G train has unfairly gotten a bad rep, I now understand why. First of all, 4 weekends without service all at is now being extended by AT LEAST 2 more weeks. I understand the maintenance is crucial to the subway system but when it runs over the original alloted time, it really makes me suspicious. Questions like this come to my head: Are they really doing 6 weeks of repairs? Is the Union milking the MTA doing trackwork? Is this a ploy to save the MTA operating costs but they disguise this as trackwork?

I know I may be overreacting but the G train has been closed many weekends since I moved to Brooklyn in September. Additionally, the 7 seems like to have trackwork annually btwn Queensboro and Times Square and that's a heavily traveled line. Another annoyance is that the G trains are really packed during the rush hours and the wait times are inconsistent throughout the day. Last week during the evening rush hour, the northbound passengers had to wait 20 mins at Metropolitan while 3 trains went past on the southbound tracks.

It really seems like the red-headed stepchild of the MTA. The weekend shuttles used to replace the subways are notoriously off schedule, we had to wait 40 mins 2 saturdays ago during a 20 degree windy evening. I agree with the poster above, the G train has potential especially if it were better connected with other lines. I know money is THE main issue but I also think its logistically possible(unlike what the MTA said about the G clogging up the Queens Blvd local tracks). On Weekends(when open), they are scheduled to go to 71st and Continental in Queens but rarely do. I'm not wanting to rant but the residents who primarily use the G train(and the 7) have less political power and need to come to these meetings. As an Urban Planning major, I actually am excited to go to the next meeting but doubt if many will go. I'll just have to get used to the inconsistent schedules because the G train is MTA's LAST priority.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
The G is very useful to travel Queens > < Brooklyn without having to waste time going through Manhattan. I live on the 7, E, F, V line and transfer to the G at 23rd St/Ely Ave to go to downtown Brooklyn a lot. It's really fast! I prefer it to driving. It would be great to have a 7, N, W, R transfer point to the G, and to have the G always run to Forest Hills on weekends. When and where are these hearings? I'm interested.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 PM

56 posts, read 335,216 times
I take the G train to work 5 days a week WEEKDAYS, From Hoyt-Schermerhorn to 9th-4th,and don't see any problem with it. It's actually a nice change most mornings after getting off the over crowed A train.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:25 PM

56 posts, read 335,216 times
The MTA, if cutting service, needs to do a lot of work on holding trains for other connecting trains. The A train comes pretty frequently. However if a the A train is running a couple minutes late they need to hold the G train at a station like Hoyt-Schermerhorn until the G gets there. People cannot wait 10 to 20 minutes for a G train when on the way to work. No problem MTA, I got time, unfortunately my boss doesn't think that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City