Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times

Advertisements

Paulina Poriskova and Rick Ocasek in a restaurant. Stood behind David Byrne at a concert.

But the BEST was seeing JFK Jr. in a restaurant in all his handsome glory. Wow.

I was never much of a celebrity spotter. Some people are really great at it and are constantly pointing people out.

One of my friends once spotted Barry Scheck (lawyer involved in a notorious trial) at a Yankees game and was shouting at him "Down in front, Barry Scheck!" Very funny.

Another friend spotted Diana Ross at JFK aiport and shouted out "Lookin' good, baby" and she responded quite positively to the attention.

So not all of us are jaded and some celebrities welcome a same amount of public adulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
I've seen a lot, my favorite & most memorable though was Bob Dylan. This was in the early 90's when I lived in the East Village. It was a week night, probably close to 10, and the streets were fairly empty. He was walking up 2nd Ave. A blonde was walking behind him, but oddly enough, she was staying like 10 paces behind him. He would stop and look in a storefront and she would stop as well where she was, again, about 10 paces behind him. Really strange. I was 99% sure it was him but then the next day the Daily News had photos of the two of them in their gossip page so that confirmed it.

Just thinking of others that I've seen--former Ranger Brian Leetch (built like a brick you know what), and Mike Richter (separately, not together), Conan (very very tall), Al Franken, Jerry Stiller (George's father from Seinfeld, seems like the kind of guy who wants to chat w/ strangers), Andy Rooney (shockingly old, and this was probably 5 years ago), John McEnroe (did not give off a good vibe), Sandra Bernhard (gave me a dirty look because I had a scowl on my face), Jacques Chirac at Brooks Brothers (secret service were everywhere and very obviously armed with high power weaponry), Leona Helmsley (sorry, but definitely the ugliest person I've ever seen), Richard Belzer (used to see him constantly on the Upper West Side), Ed Koch (walking around in Fairway, seemed very old & confused and this was about 5 years ago)...I'm sure there are others...

Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Paulina Poriskova and Rick Ocasek in a restaurant. Stood behind David Byrne at a concert.

But the BEST was seeing JFK Jr. in a restaurant in all his handsome glory. Wow.

I was never much of a celebrity spotter. Some people are really great at it and are constantly pointing people out.

One of my friends once spotted Barry Scheck (lawyer involved in a notorious trial) at a Yankees game and was shouting at him "Down in front, Barry Scheck!" Very funny.

Another friend spotted Diana Ross at JFK aiport and shouted out "Lookin' good, baby" and she responded quite positively to the attention.

So not all of us are jaded and some celebrities welcome a same amount of public adulation.
I wouldn't know who Poriskova, Ocasek or Scheck were if they were right in front of my face. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to celebrity gossip and tabloids...lol

Old 09-02-2009, 02:54 PM

24 posts, read 87,213 times
I saw Tim Gunn

Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
I was birding at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in the early 70's, and got into a conversation with a gentleman about what we had seen. He mentioned Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs. I told him of a flight of Snow Geese that passed over the West Pond.

He seemed oddly familiar; certainly had a distinctive accent.

Later, I realized that my fellow birder had been William F. Buckley, Jr.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
I saw Jay-z in Times Square.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:30 PM

190 posts, read 684,020 times
I saw John Legend a few weeks ago in Soho, and I quickly called my wife to make her jealous

Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Snoop Dogg, Bobby Flay, Ice-T, Rachel Ray, Floyd Mayweather, etc.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
Regis Philbin, Mickey Rourke, Edie Falco... all just on the street (as opposed to at an event of some kind). Shaq was actually on the trading floor where I work once. That was very cool.

There is definitely more... that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
Oh... Alec Baldwin, Ed Burns (my buddy played pool w/ him after I left), Sportscaster on Ch 4 & HBO (Olympics, etc...). Darn, can't think of his name!!

What about local news people?? do they count?

Bachelor Bob! Next table at a diner. Does he count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City