U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2009, 06:01 PM

1,526 posts, read 3,882,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
The best post so far in this thread.

These so-called "purists" who never lived in an area like those during times like those are quick to complain about NYC losing its "grit". Keep in mind these people would never commit to living in these urban areas, yet like to come onto message boards like this and spew hypocrisy.
I lived in the city during the roughest, toughest times, so if you were referring to me, I think you've got the wrong girl. Manhattan back then made the "rough" parts of the Bronx today look like Disneyland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 06:15 PM

6,532 posts, read 11,066,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Immigrants tend not to have the funds to buy property, hence why Chinatown is being gentrified. I've said it time and time before, the city's becoming too expensive for immigrants to move into, and I do feel that there very well may be a day where you don't here the Muslim music in the street, or the Hispanic bodega owner call you mami almost anywhere in the city save for all they way out in Far Rockaway.
Not true in my neighborhood in The Bronx.The Albanians immigrants are not only buying up houses and businesses but now own a substantial number of apartment Buildings.Asians in the neighborhood( Pelham Parkway) seem to be doing the same thing.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Yes, and there are Chinese investors in Chinatown, big time from what I hear. The Chinese have extended the borders of Chinatown quite a bit to say the least.

I think saying immigrants are all too poor to buy property is rather a generalization.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 PM

7,862 posts, read 13,457,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
Depends on how you look at it. I grew up on 145th and Broadway during the crack era of the 80's. Went to Randolph Highschool in the 90s on 135th and convent.

I welcome the gent's even if it means that lower class people have to move out... Its for the better. Maybe one day it will be good enough to raise children here..
Randolph wasn't that bad of a school in the 90's. I don't know how it is now (i've heard its actually a much worse school now), but in the 90's it was one of the better non-specialized public high schools. I know that's not saying much but you sort of made it seem like it was a rough school to go to.

As for your point on gentrification, I mostly agree, and in Hamilton Heights and other Harlem areas it has been beneficial crime-wise. Overall I think gentrification has helped that part of Harlem. The only thing I don't like is that they (the landlords) went a bit overboard and jumped the gun when they raised a lot of the commercial rents. Many of the few steady local businesses in that area were forced to leave, and they have yet to be really replaced, so the neighborhood has a bit of an empty feeling in that aspect.

Also to make a broader point gentrification of the trendy non-permanent variety can be dangerous and is something I generally don't hold in high regard.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-06-2009 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM

177 posts, read 450,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I lived in the city during the roughest, toughest times, so if you were referring to me, I think you've got the wrong girl. Manhattan back then made the "rough" parts of the Bronx today look like Disneyland.

No, I wasn't referring to you. I see a lot of people come on these boards day in and day out and say those things.

Your posts are actually insightful.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:41 PM

13 posts, read 28,180 times
Default Why Isn't Manhattan the Soul of the City?

Not why the Outer Boroughs, but why not Manhattan? The cost/size of housing is obvious. What are the other reasons? Why not live in Manhattan?

Old 09-07-2009, 03:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,018,026 times
Default My Grandma grew up in Hell's Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
She was born in 1900. There was a REASON they named it that way back when. The Irish part of my family came to NY (Manhattan) in the 1840s. If anyone has seen the movie "Streets of NY" you can see what it was like then. Was anybody taught in NYC about the NYC Race Riots? I never heard of that until I started doing genealogy. PS. They were not talking about the South Bronx.

Manhattan born and raised. I lived in Queens for 10 years. If you are taking about "outer boroughs" there is the 5th borough that everyone ignores, maybe for good reason. Staten Island is the "true grit of NYC"???????

Old 09-07-2009, 04:51 PM

1,916 posts, read 5,307,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker xyz View Post
Not why the Outer Boroughs, but why not Manhattan? The cost/size of housing is obvious. What are the other reasons? Why not live in Manhattan?
The "real" NYC is still alive in outer boroughs while many sections of Manhattan are being reduced to transplant/tourist areas... and many of the things that made Manhattan unique are being closed and replaced with common stores that you can find anywhere else in America.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
No, I wasn't referring to you. I see a lot of people come on these boards day in and day out and say those things.

Your posts are actually insightful.
Sorry/thanks...

Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
She was born in 1900. There was a REASON they named it that way back when. The Irish part of my family came to NY (Manhattan) in the 1840s. If anyone has seen the movie "Streets of NY" you can see what it was like then. Was anybody taught in NYC about the NYC Race Riots? I never heard of that until I started doing genealogy. PS. They were not talking about the South Bronx.

Manhattan born and raised. I lived in Queens for 10 years. If you are taking about "outer boroughs" there is the 5th borough that everyone ignores, maybe for good reason. Staten Island is the "true grit of NYC"???????
Yes, my maternal grandparents came here from Europe to the LES, where my mom and her siblings were born and raised. One of my aunts still lives there and always has. NYC has always been an, er, challenging place.

IMO the outer boroughs were historically the soul of NYC, where longer time residents used to stay for generations (some of them anyway). Manhattan has always been a more transient borough by nature, what with the ups and downs etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City