Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times

Advertisements

Damn I guess I dodged some bullets not moving in there...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 AM

65 posts, read 81,503 times
Lol...you guys are crazy. Rent strike? Really? NooYowkur81...you did not dodge any bullet. It has to do with any new development, and not Northrose. Most people don't realize the problems/challenges with a development of this size, and unique new construction issues which typically take years to work through.

The Northrose is a step up for 95% of the residents (I suspect), so it isn't dodging a bullet, it is a substantial upgrade. However, I think the expectation level was not set, and communication about inevitable problems, delays, etc was not the best. What a shock!

This is a great new development, it is a great addition to the community, and is a major upgrade for most residents. Is it perfect? Heck no! Is management perfect? Never will be. Was there some rushed work to meet deadlines, corners cut?: Of course, when isn't there? Are there a few bad apples in this development (or possibly non-residents) doing the "same old thing"...yes of course. Is management not 100% effective, efficient and responsive yet? Nope...why would you expect them to be?

So let's all take a breath, realize this is how it is in a large new development, and with new construction. But it is a great development and in the end, it will take time to get the kinks out but most people will be very happy (of course some people will never be happy). Be glad you are not one of these people:

Williamsburg waterfront condo residents complain of 'shoddy' construction - NYPOST.com

"$512,000 for studios to $2.8 million for penthouses. A half dozen condo owners interviewed by The Post say their walls are leaky and poorly insulated; mold is growing in the walls; and there is faulty plumbing, sewage, heating and air-conditioning systems."

THIS is a travesty, and shows that no matter how much you spent, no matter what neighborhood, the problems are all the same.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
So yeah I dodged a bullet not moving into this new development. It will perhaps be a great place to live 5 to 8 years from now. But right now it has a lot of problems...

Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
The same kind of crap (and worse) is happening at Bruckner By The Bridge.They have a lot of problems there, including break ins and robberies.It seems like some of these new "affordable housing" complexes are on their way to becoming the projects of the 21st century.

All of these places are reeking of corruption on every level and I suspect there was a lot of curruption around the tenant screening too.

Really sad.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times
It's been a dramatic start to say the least but not unexpected. The worst scenario is that the upgrading of the 'shoddy' construction becomes financially impossible. Demolition debris disposal costs are also high.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,761 times
Default How about a little positive news for Northrose/Boricua village..

Gourmet supermarket planned for Melrose | Mott Haven Herald

Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Bluedog, please site your source on the "break-ins and robberies" at the Bruckner By the Bridge development. I have been through the screening process for affordable housing (to understand the process), and I had to submit all documentation as required, and there was zero movement/wiggle room. Does this mean no corruption exists? No, but I believe there is little of it as you have to be approved by the developer and the city.

I do not believe the new affordable housing is in any way shape or form the new housing projects, nor is there any evidence to support that. What we have seen are the same old short-cuts and rush jobs, inept management, and a few people not following the rules. This is pretty much standard everywhere.

On a side note, I lived in Hoboken, NJ in several new construction buildings over the course of a few years while in grad school (all $400K+) during the housing boom, and every building had the same issues, problems, and management incompetence. There were also break-ins at a couple places, bikes stolen out of the garages and a few apts robbed. Why? Because nobody knows YET who lives there or should be there, there was alot of moving-in/people coming in and out, and security had not been established. Nevermind that some tenants did not follow basic rules and common courtesy.

Does this mean all of Hoboken's new condos are the "future housing projects"....ummmm NO! It means they need to work through the problems and stabilize the buildings, which is exactly what they did. People came together, and addressed the issues. The end. I see no difference with any of the new affordable housing buildings, except that the tenants are lower-income and not as savvy or connected as those buying million dollar condos.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 AM

As for the gourmet market, it is long overdue and can't wait! With the influx of new middle class residents, and more coming, I foresee this as a successful endeavor. I wonder if he is seeking an investor!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBronxGuy View Post
Bluedog, please site your source on the "break-ins and robberies" at the Bruckner By the Bridge development. .................
Read the last 20 pages or so of the CD Bruckner by The Bridge thread.It's eye opening. http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...art-ii-80.html

You have to read all the posts of course.Some are concerned with workmanship and construction issues which do plague a lot of new developments.Many of the posts,however are about robberies,break -ins,attempted break-ins,drug dealing,people leaving trash in elevators and hallways,etc and the management's complete and total inability or even willingness to address these issues.Some, who fought so hard to get in,are now second guessing their decisions and talking about getting out.

Importantly,many of the residents are convinced that some of the break ins are being done by other residents and employees of the management...i.e, inside jobs. So much for good management and resident screening procedures.

These are first hand,not anecdotal, stories and some of them are coming from CD members who have been posting since before they even got into BBTB.Their disappointment is palpable.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-01-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Ehh...I have read every page and that's just alot of hot air, rumors, speculation, etc from people who are simply unhappy. Do I doubt that it happened? Nope..but it happens at every new development..so it's moot and alot of hype. Unless you actually know the source personally, or they have an established reputation, these first hand reports are totally useless. That's like taking midtown Manhattan seafood recommendations from SuperWario or Whitlock...it is a first hand report but consider the source..and you know these posters! Imagine the ones posting for the first time.

I would not listen to much of the complaints...I suspect the type of people moving into that particular development have been doing alot of complaining their wholes lives, but that's just my first hand story =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City