Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 AM

123 posts, read 310,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknyc2010 View Post
I lived at Silver Towers for 10 months. The apartment itself was nice. Or rather it LOOKED nice. The floors are some form of cheap laminate that scratch VERY easily. The countertops look nice and shiny when you move in, but that's because they buff them with a machine. But as soon as you spill something on them, which happens in a kitchen, the shine is gone and no matter how many times you clean and polish with the best products, they never return to their original shine. Unless you use a machine. I know this because I asked one of the maintenance folks about it. He said there had been many complaints about the countertops and he told every tenant the same thing. Also, I had a problem with noise from the heater that took 3 phone calls over a period of 4 days before anyone took care of it. And I know it wasn't just in my apartment. I ran into another tenant late one night at the front desk complaining about the very same thing. Regarding the washer/dryer, it is nice to have that in your apartment. But the dryer took FOREVER to dry clothes. And the washing machine grew mold inside of it very quickly. A cabinet door came off it's hinge. The bathtub didn't drain properly, backed up water. The maintenance guy (the same one who explained the countertop situation to me) said it was because of the type of hardware used. He said they were more concerned with the appearance of things than the function of things and that many of the tenants had also complained about the drain and what he was recommending was just to take the plug thingie off entirely and just leave it off. which of course, looks awful..but keeps the water draining more freely. I know these complaints may seem petty, but for what I was paying for a studio apartment at Silver Towers and the fact that it was BRAND NEW, I expected everything to work properly. It seemed to me they were always worried about the appearance of the building...always polishing and cleaning the lobbies, but not addressing the real issues tenants were experiencing. Oh...also..there were issues with cold air/wind in the halls in the winter time. One of the engineers told me it was coming from the elevator shafts and something they had not factored in during the design, and they weren't sure they could do anything about it, but they were looking into it as several tenants had complained about it. So taking your trash down the hall to the chute was akin to taking it out to the street as I had to at my old apartment...COLD! Also, and maybe this is just me, but I felt very far away from Manhattan over there. It's like living on a highway. The lincoln tunnel traffic is absolutely awful. It's a very long haul to bring groceries home from the one and only grocery store in the "neighborhoold". I say "neigborhood" because it really doesn't feel like a neigborhood at all. But if you like isolation, if you like living by a highway,and the nearest public transportation being a 15 minute walk away and THAT being in Times Square (very heavy pedistrian,tourist traffic), then maybe this place is for you. I moved to a real Manhattan neighborhood where I have a subway stop around the corner, a deli around the other corner, 3 grocery stores within a couple of blocks, a huge variety of restaurants all around, yet my building is on a quite street. And all for a lot less money. Yes, I have an elevator in my building. I have a dishwasher in my kitchen, laundry in the building. I have a very nice rooftop deck (that I don't have to pay extra for). My apartment is beautiful, clean and everything works. Do I have a gym in my building' No, but there are plenty of them in my neighborhood. Do I have a nail salon in my building' No, but there are several within a couple blocks of my building. Silver Towers was very disappointing, and I would not recommend it to ANYONE.
That is one opinion

Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM

28 posts, read 60,800 times
OMG!! River Place 2 just called! I have orientation on monday! I was approved for the 24,000 - 27,750 income bracket. Its time to start praying for the g line. LOLOL

Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM

95 posts, read 166,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlisted87 View Post
OMG!! River Place 2 just called! I have orientation on monday! I was approved for the 24,000 - 27,750 income bracket. Its time to start praying for the g line. LOLOL
Congratulations!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 PM

30 posts, read 83,781 times
Congrats Dlisted, Can I ask you what your log number is? Thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:13 PM

78 posts, read 199,907 times
Default hey

page 100!!! yay!!! congrats dlisted.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlisted87 View Post

Congrats

Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochanyc6 View Post
Swifter broom and mop.
also an air purifier.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 PM

28 posts, read 60,800 times
Thank u everyone !

Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 PM

130 posts, read 236,011 times
Congrats @dlisted

@mocha a natural air purifier would be pants I might buy a big tree size one tomorrow. I haven't contracted management, yet, but I will. I fixed the cabinet I just screwed it tighter ( the screw was loose) the shade is a lost cause. The chain to pull it down came off the wheel so... Not sure that to do about that. I still have no furniture but tomorrow I'm going shopping for some! Its long overdued!!

Pray for the gline dlisted! I love my apt I have so much space I'm getting a couch with a coffee table and a queen size bed, plus I'm gonna mount a tv to the wall and my bathroom..oh please I'm loving it!!!!!!

@jkid still waiting for the pics. I know its gonna look awesome.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:33 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,376 times
Im baaaaaaaccccckkkkk !!!!! Verizon guy just left..feel like a new person right now LOL LOL LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery