Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,731 times

Advertisements

after passing everything, credit check passing the home visit, then then tell me my income is over qualified by 100 dollars...im appealing that nonsense cause im a student a mom and i work i dont make much and those 100 dollars will end up going to tuition or books or grocery like seriously. i never thought a minority could be over qualified for affordable housing...there must be a scam of some sort. or people paying under the table! also how you do a home visit before denying my income?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 PM

270 posts, read 747,596 times
wow unbelievable, i was wondering the same thing...and its like they are out to get you in anyway possible..as an excuse not to give u the apt. My case is under appeal at the moment, and i have very high hopes that they will reconsider us, because we Really need this apt, but at the same time, im afraid that they will brush us off..i must say my interviewer and the supervisor , were not the most pleasant people i have met , and im afraid that their character and personality will get in the way of me and my family being able to achieve this wonderful opportunity. Im hoping that my angels at the main silverstein office will give me a hand in any way possible. I was told that they may get in touch with THEIR boss..because it seems like theres something "not right" going on over there. They also told me, that it seems like they're having a hard time finding enough people that qualify and that they NEED to fill these apts FAST.. i turned in my appeal docs at the end of the day this past monday, havent heard anything yet.. im hoping its because they are taking the time to go over everything carefully, and that they discover that we do qualify income-wise..they rejected us due to OVER income, becuase they calculated some deposits that were made to one of our accounts, but as far as JOB-WISE, we made exactly what was needed to qualify
having been raised in the ghetto of the lower east side when i was kid, this opportunity would be great for me to be able to raise my own kids, in a better place. Im currently in the LES now, it has gotten WAY better than when i was a kid..by about 200% but still, it would be an honor for me to raise them in a place like that..

and yes in regard to your question, your income is the VERY FIRST THING they check, and if u dont pass that part, you get turned down QUICK!, i wish i couldve gotten as far as you..they shut us out so quickly..that would so hurtful , that after you go thru ALL that, to then be turned down? like WOW

Last edited by emulator; 05-22-2010 at 07:44 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM

78 posts, read 199,488 times
Default my interviewing process

Actually, when i went to the interview on march 30th, i came with all of my necessary paperwork except for the top portions of my pay stubs. i didnt know that what they would take into consideration is my GROSS income and not my NET income. I figured they just look at your w-2's and w-4's and thats it. So the guy told me that we could no longer proceed with the interview until he could verify my gross income. He gave me 3 days to send him copys of that info and said that i could either bring the info in in person or fax it to him which I did that same night. I didnt get a response for 2 days. So on the third day I called him and he said he would definitely get back to me (he didnt say that it wouldnt necessarily be through a phone call) That same day i received a letter in the mail saying that I was denied because I didnt make enough money. I was about $800 below the income bracket. Thats when I realized how strict they really are with their guidelines. What I did learn through that letter was their formula for figuring out what your income is. What they do is this: They take the gross amounts of your last 6 pay stubs and they average it together. Then they multiply the average by 26. Then if your assets total more than $5000, they take 2% of that amount and add that in as well. When you fill out future applications you can do the math yourself to see if you qualify. Another thing is that because my interview was March 30th, I did not yet receive my March checking and savings statements. I didnt receive those until the 31st or 1st. So for the interview, I had to bring in my records from February which didnt factor in my tax return. Tax return = higher assets If your appointment is scheduled for the end of the month, it may be wise to reschedule for the begining of the next month so that you can use your most recent records.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 PM

78 posts, read 199,488 times
hey when they do a home visit, what do they check for?? how long did it last?? do they ask you questions?? the thing with me is I live with parents. I give them the same amount of money every month as an overall contribution to the bills. I was wondering if anybody knew what woud happen if i mentioned this on the application. and what my chances are of getting an apartment if they know this information. i asked this before in other forums and got one or two responses. does anybody know for sure??

Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM

123 posts, read 309,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apthunterdr View Post
hey when they do a home visit, what do they check for?? how long did it last?? do they ask you questions?? the thing with me is I live with parents. I give them the same amount of money every month as an overall contribution to the bills. I was wondering if anybody knew what woud happen if i mentioned this on the application. and what my chances are of getting an apartment if they know this information. i asked this before in other forums and got one or two responses. does anybody know for sure??

She basically checked the condition of the apartment. She especially wanted to see the bathroom and closet. She asked a few simple questions. The in home interview/visit was about 20 minutes.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 AM

I received a call this morning from Silver Towers II I'm to go for an orientation 9:30 est morning. I was told to bring a tape measure and camera. Phew!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:20 PM

wow, great news..I'm glad for you.. I called up the office to see if I can get an update on our appeal, the secretary said..its usually from 2-3 weeks until i receive a response by mail on their decision.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 PM

Saw the apartment this morning. I have a studio on the corner of the building so I have windows on both sides in the right corner. Also my studio is the largest G on the 9th floor. Beautiful flooring. The apt has a washer and dryer. The kitchen is white cabinets with black appliances except fridge and microwave are white. Has black marble counter top. The bathroom white with tan tiles. I have a nice walk in closet about 8 feet. The nice lady who showed me the building explained that they are still under construction so there are still apartments to be available.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 PM

excellent news, thanks for sharing your progress..so it is IN FACT at 610 or 620 w. 42st right, the 2 beautiful glass bldgs on the corner , next to riverplace 1, you'll have doorman and all right?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:52 AM

i received the letter this morning, they denied our appeal.. they are saying the checks deposited from my wifes job to her account dont match the amounts of the deposits... i REALLY like how they dont even count the tips she reports into the calculation.. and also the fact that in my appeal letter i wrote that the money being deposited into her account is from mine AND her MONEY as well..i have come to realize they simply dont wanna give us the apartment at ALL
My only last hope is from the main silverstein office, they told me they will be contacting the person who is above the people at riverplace II office , so that THEY can review my case..i feel i did provide enough proof to show that we dont make " EXTRA" money..i brought them a copy of the lease, a signed noterized letter from leaseholder stating we pay $150/month, also 3 years of tax returns for me and my wife..we average a total of about $11,000 a year from tax returns together, how can they bypass or ignore this?.. and how can they ignore that we are bunking with relatives and paying low rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.