Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 AM

20 posts, read 42,766 times

Advertisements

JKid84NYC you seem to know a lot of this matter we all thank you for your info!

Pertaining to my situation:

I have to move to another place whether it be with another roommate or by myself. All before the end of the month and before my interview next month. If I move in somewhere and the rent is cheaper than the rent at River Place II, will they take that into consideration and reject me because of that? Obviously where ever i move to will not in anyway compare to living at River Place II.

One place I saw was a crappy basement apt. that was so small, if I rolled over at night my face would be in the toilet, literally.
Another was with a guy renting out "space" in a one bdrm apt with 2 other guys! It was like he was smuggling immigrants in there!

What should I do? If I pass the interview will any of those factors hurt me? Living with 2 other dudes, living in a small confined area, and having cheaper rent to pay than at River Place? I cant stay at my current address.

Help!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:19 AM

684 posts, read 1,813,260 times
Lol. Just like I told someone else CALM DOWN !!! Dont stress yourself out by thinking about things that are a non issue.

When go to sit down for the interview, they have a copy of the application that you handed in, and they'll ask you if that is the same address your currently living at, that will be your time to inform them of your new address. They need the address so they can complete the 3rd portion of the process which of course is the home visit. During the visit they aren't checkin out your roommates they're there to check the living conditions of the apt..

Im tellin you dont stress about that stuff...just make sure you have every single document they ask for (originals and photocopies) so your prepared. Because if you dont have that nothing else is going to matter. And If you make it pass the first 10mins, be prepared to have to send them additional documentation regarding your government assistance that you receive.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 AM

7 posts, read 14,092 times
I guess this is as good as any place to post my situation and maybe get some head-up advice and such.

I've read through the thread and still have some questions.

I was contacted on Thursday for an interview August 18th. I believe i fall within the income check so im not too worried about it. I calculated my last 6 pay stubs but those only show me take home estimated amount so it's a little lower than the guideline i saw on the website. '

My issue is 1) i live with my aunt so its impossible for me to get a copy of the utility and lease and such..is there anything i can bring? and 2) At the time of applying and getting interviewed i won't be in school...but come the fall i am registered to be a full-time student. Will that interfere with anything? In my head it shouldn't because at this moment in time and the time of the application process i am not in school... Does it matter?

PS. what should i wear? if i go to the interview lol

Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriiyus View Post
I guess this is as good as any place to post my situation and maybe get some head-up advice and such.

I've read through the thread and still have some questions.

I was contacted on Thursday for an interview August 18th. I believe i fall within the income check so im not too worried about it. I calculated my last 6 pay stubs but those only show me take home estimated amount so it's a little lower than the guideline i saw on the website. '

My issue is 1) i live with my aunt so its impossible for me to get a copy of the utility and lease and such..is there anything i can bring? and 2) At the time of applying and getting interviewed i won't be in school...but come the fall i am registered to be a full-time student. Will that interfere with anything? In my head it shouldn't because at this moment in time and the time of the application process i am not in school... Does it matter?

PS. what should i wear? if i go to the interview lol
You'll need to provide them with something that shows your GROSS income..not just what you take home. So make sure you have that.

1. You'll only need to bring an utilities that have your name on it. I currently still reside with my parents and when I handed her a utility with my fathers name on it she said I only needed bills that had MY name on it..and that if I didnt it was ok. What you will have to bring is the noterized letter they ask for which your aunt will have to sign off on

*You will be DISQUALIFIED !!! It does not matter if your not currently in school now, as stated in the application, and further addressed at the interview you can NOT BE A FT student while living at River Place. If you pass the income portion, an make it through the entire interview, they have you take home a Student Affadavit so sign off on, that basically states that at no time during your tenure at River Place II will you be a FT student. So if you really want to live at River Place II you'll have to become a PT student. **And as an FYI I believe this is true for ALL 80/20 programs, so if you want to remain a FT student you'll have to look for apartments that arent under the 80/20 program.

2. My theory is always look presentable. You dont have to wear 3 piece suit or a gown lol. But definitely come looking very presentable..your good jeans..or pants..maybe a nice casual button down/blouse or polo..if you have some comfortable shoes. No need to be a stiff..lol..just look nice.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
Lol. Just like I told someone else CALM DOWN !!! Dont stress yourself out by thinking about things that are a non issue.

When go to sit down for the interview, they have a copy of the application that you handed in, and they'll ask you if that is the same address your currently living at, that will be your time to inform them of your new address. They need the address so they can complete the 3rd portion of the process which of course is the home visit. During the visit they aren't checkin out your roommates they're there to check the living conditions of the apt..

Im tellin you dont stress about that stuff...just make sure you have every single document they ask for (originals and photocopies) so your prepared. Because if you dont have that nothing else is going to matter. And If you make it pass the first 10mins, be prepared to have to send them additional documentation regarding your government assistance that you receive.
Thanks JKid84NYC!

You're right I need to calm down. I just need this to happen for me and I just wanna make sure I dont screw anything up that can be helped.

Anything else you think I should know about at this point?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renwhycee View Post
Thanks JKid84NYC!

You're right I need to calm down. I just need this to happen for me and I just wanna make sure I dont screw anything up that can be helped.

Anything else you think I should know about at this point?
Theres nothing more you can really do to really help yourself other then being prepared with the paperwork they ask for. Just come in..and go along with the interview. If you qualify you qualify if you dont you dont..its really one of those things. If theres any issues with your application they'll let you know what they are and what you need to do..or what else you need to bring so that part I of the process can be completed. After that its just a waiting game...

May I ask you what studio are you applying for? 500$ a month or the 640$ a month? Im asking beacuse everyone who is applying now has to wait a month before their interview..when I applied my interview was the next week..and theres been a lengthy delay in my process im wondering if the 2 situations have anything to do with each other

Old 07-18-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
Theres nothing more you can really do to really help yourself other then being prepared with the paperwork they ask for. Just come in..and go along with the interview. If you qualify you qualify if you dont you dont..its really one of those things. If theres any issues with your application they'll let you know what they are and what you need to do..or what else you need to bring so that part I of the process can be completed. After that its just a waiting game...

May I ask you what studio are you applying for? 500$ a month or the 640$ a month? Im asking beacuse everyone who is applying now has to wait a month before their interview..when I applied my interview was the next week..and theres been a lengthy delay in my process im wondering if the 2 situations have anything to do with each other
Honestly, I'll take either of those. $500 a month would be great but with my income I think I qualify for the $640. If your interview is in a week then maybe you qualify for the $500/month and since my interview is next month I qualify for the $640???

Good Luck JKid84NYC! Maybe we'll be neighbors!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 PM

No I've had my interview already..but after I sent in my application the interview was a week later. Now they're making people wait a month to interview..just wondering if there was any correlation between you guys having to wait a month..and me having to wait for my home visit. I dont know..but I know i havent been denied so thats a blessing in itself. I've waited this long i can wait another month or so to find out whats up. And if they've unfortunately ran out of apts..hopefully ill be able to get into the other building coming up on 42nd

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AS WELL !!!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:14 PM

78 posts, read 199,665 times
@jkid

I think me and you are in the same boat. We're both living with our parents, both were already interviewed, both fall within the same income, and are both waiting for a response from these people. I think Monday will be a good day.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 PM

Im so much calmer now you have no idea. Lol ! Its been so long that I KNOW I havent been denied..so thats a relief in itself..I have no problem playing the waiting game. Because I know I wont have an issue when they finally call me for the home visit.

They're giving these people a pretty lengthy delay from when they apply to the interview..I have to believe that has something to do with why I havent been called yet. Maybe they went on vaca ! lmao ! It sucks waiting..but I still feel good about everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.