Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 72,880 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I want to ask a couple of questions that hopefully you guys can answer.

I am currently living in a mitchell lama housing project (where I pay about 30% of the real rent) with my family (parents, sister, and I). A couple of months ago we sent out an application for affordable housing at River II Place (very nice area in 42nd street) and they're asking us to come in for interview.

I was wondering what kind of questions will they be asking and what should I expect? What are my chances that they will formally accept me and give me a space?

Knowing that they accepted my family to be interviewed, what are our chances of getting this housing? My familys income fits in the range of what they are asking for (33,000 to 34,000) and we are a family size of 4 but when we applied for the application, we only put three members that will be living there (19 years old (me), and my parents) My sister is age 17. Also, on the application, they show that they have more apartments for people with a family size of 4. So will they decline my application?

Basically, what should I expect and what are my chances?

Thank you so much everyone, I'm very anxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 228,788 times
Smile Riverplace housing interview

Be very prepared!!! Three years past taxes. Copies of all your banking , Curent lanlord letter, past lanlord letter, Employer letters, Affidavit's , copies of bills, reciepts for anything they feel like asking.....they will also ask for things and when you bring them they will ask for it again only this time notorized.....
All this, and they still have not shown you an apartment. so, you dont even know what he place looks like. I dont believe the apartment even exists.
My husband and I went on the interview . It just left us both very disheartened. We live in a very beautiful place, but we pay! I'd rather pay than to feel like a criminal because I'm applying for some so called affordable housing that we have yet to see ( we have been to the office 4 times!!!) still no sight of the apt.
Also, being so rightious with their paper work , they never even think for one second that maybe we would look at the apt and hate it and say we dont want to live here.
Unfortunatly, this city does not want to help low or medium income people, It has to make you think you didnt fit into some bureaucratic criteria,
We will be shocked if it actually ever comes to fruition, but we will keep you posted and good luck and peace to all.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:22 PM

8 posts, read 61,498 times
I agree with Kashmirjett, they will ask for A LOT of information. I went through it with my husband and I know three other people (for 3 separate apts located on 42nd street, roosevelt island, and Williamsburg) who went through the same process. We ALL got the apartments! It took me (+husband) about 3 months and 3 interviews appts to get all the information needed for the apartment. I will say it was worth it!

My best advice is bring all the information that's requested and answer everything as truthfully as possible. They will call you for additional information, but do not be alarmed, this is standard procedure. Also, you will NOT see the apartment until your application is accepted and your family "passed" the requirements. You might also get wait-listed, but that's okay. We were on the waitlist for 3 months before they decided to give us another interview. Good luck and please email me any additional questions!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmirjett View Post
Be very prepared!!! Three years past taxes. Copies of all your banking , Curent lanlord letter, past lanlord letter, Employer letters, Affidavit's , copies of bills, reciepts for anything they feel like asking.....they will also ask for things and when you bring them they will ask for it again only this time notorized.....
All this, and they still have not shown you an apartment. so, you dont even know what he place looks like. I dont believe the apartment even exists.
My husband and I went on the interview . It just left us both very disheartened. We live in a very beautiful place, but we pay! I'd rather pay than to feel like a criminal because I'm applying for some so called affordable housing that we have yet to see ( we have been to the office 4 times!!!) still no sight of the apt.
Also, being so rightious with their paper work , they never even think for one second that maybe we would look at the apt and hate it and say we dont want to live here.
Unfortunatly, this city does not want to help low or medium income people, It has to make you think you didnt fit into some bureaucratic criteria,
We will be shocked if it actually ever comes to fruition, but we will keep you posted and good luck and peace to all.
Are you serious? The city doesn't want to help low income people?!?! The city took money out of other people's pockets to give you the opportunity to have a below market cost place to live.

The city is giving you the opportunity to live in manhattan (the place that hundreds of thousands of people would do anything to live in), for something like cheap. By living there, you'd have a very easy commute to all sorts of jobs, not to mention the living amenities. You are completely ungrateful and, if the obstacles are too much for you, then please, please just stay where you are. There are thousands of households that would qualify for your spot that would be happy to take it.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmirjett View Post
....We live in a very beautiful place, but we pay! I'd rather pay than to feel like a criminal because I'm applying for some so called affordable housing that we have yet to see ( we have been to the office 4 times!!!) still no sight of the apt.
If you already "live in a very beautiful place" that you obviously can afford("but we pay") I don't understand why you need or would qualify for public housing to begin with. It is supposed to be for people who need it,not for people who want it because they would rather not pay even though they can.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 PM

Just because "WE PAY" does not always mean you can afford to, You dont have a choice, you have to! If it means 2 jobs each that is what you have to do and that IS what we do. Paying means going without a whole lot sometimes.
I was just trying to be informative to those who want the information reguarding the interview process. That's all.
Peace to all

Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
If you already "live in a very beautiful place" that you obviously can afford("but we pay") I don't understand why you need or would qualify for public housing to begin with. It is supposed to be for people who need it,not for people who want it because they would rather not pay even though they can.
We dont qualify for public housing. It was not public housing. It is housing according to both parties income. You must earn a certain minimum and maxiumum amount created by the city. These apts are to be afforable for people with the income they request.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych_d View Post
I agree with Kashmirjett, they will ask for A LOT of information. I went through it with my husband and I know three other people (for 3 separate apts located on 42nd street, roosevelt island, and Williamsburg) who went through the same process. We ALL got the apartments! It took me (+husband) about 3 months and 3 interviews appts to get all the information needed for the apartment. I will say it was worth it!

My best advice is bring all the information that's requested and answer everything as truthfully as possible. They will call you for additional information, but do not be alarmed, this is standard procedure. Also, you will NOT see the apartment until your application is accepted and your family "passed" the requirements. You might also get wait-listed, but that's okay. We were on the waitlist for 3 months before they decided to give us another interview. Good luck and please email me any additional questions!
Thanks so much!
Have a nice weekend

Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 105,573 times
Good Evening to all.... I have an interview as well. I have all my documents ready but what do you mean a letter from your current landlord and past? Do you mean the lease and paid rents? What do they ask you at the interview? I applied with my boyfriend. I am the only one with an income as he is unemployed. Will this affect us? I have the qualifying income and my credit isn't bad. Did you guys went prepared with all documents? Why did you go more than twice for an interview if a documentation list was sent with the interview notice. Please any advise. I am nervious and anxious. I really need an apartment.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Hi there, I hope this will help you. Bring the Original Documents as well as photo copies of everything
you will need Bring your original lease+a copy( they will not make copies of anything) they will keep the copies of everything you bring.
Bring 6 months Rent Receipts Original+copies
A copy of your Birth Certificate+ SS card+Picture ID
06,07,08 W-2 forms+ transcripts
3-6 months pay stubs
6 months utility bills (con ed, gas, cable and phone)
They will contact your employer
They will want a letter from your Employer,Stating exact start date of employment, your title, how many hours a week you work, any overtime, any tips. this letter must be signed and stamped by a notary public
They will contact your current lanlord (if you lived there less than 5 years they will contact your prior lanlord as well.
They want to know your rent payment history ( if any late payment, or any evictions could disqualify you)
If you or your boyfriend are full-times students, they will disqualify
If you work part-time they will disqualify.
If you or your boyfriend filed bankruptcy in the past 5 years or either of your credit scores are not high enough that is atomatic disqualify.
It is a very serious screening session. Good luck to you, I hope you get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City