Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM

508 posts, read 2,113,815 times

Advertisements

The discomfort based on race is experienced all over the city, it just depends on who you are and what neighborhood you're in. I was in Clinton/Hell's Kitchen this weekend and got so many: What are you people doing here? looks, it was just too funny. I'd forgotten how that feels as I live in a diverse Harlem nabe now. And yes, I am a multi-racial person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,591,977 times
I am disturbed that there is a few people here who seem to think Harlemites acting in a racially discriminatory way is somehow acceptable becuase they're poor/black. How many of you would defend an Upper Class/White nabe unleashing racial anomosity upon newly arrived Low Income/Minorites? I doubt you would.

Lulz @ white kids wishing for the ghetto to return. Trust me, if things were ever to pop off like during the Crack Epidemic, you'd be the first ones running for your lives over the bridges

Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,335,598 times
A lot of his has to do with perceived gentrification. Harlem for a good forty years has been largely minority, and for a long time the City neglected it, allowed it to become run down, no stores wanted to open in any area above 96th street etc. Now, thanks to lack of affordable housing on the island below 96th Street, you see more and more Whites moving in. A lot of people aren't welcoming of that.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:43 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,335,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I wouldn't live in any part of Harlem. The bottom line is, no matter how many "whitey" move in, Harlem is Harlem is Harlem..... It's a crime and drug ridden area and whitey aren't welcome by the people who've lived there their whole lives. The noise, the dirt, etc doesn't make it worth it to have a "New York, NY" address or a "convenient" commute.

I used to work in East Harlem and it was disgusting. Garbage all over the sidewalks, people blasting music at all hours, people outside drinking/smoking weed at 8am, men catcalling, etc. Absolutely disgraceful. When I left that job, I said I would never set a foot in Harlem again.
Wait, you don't see crime, people drinking/smoking weed, men catcalling, whatever it is you're posting, in areas below 96th street (don't usually use smilies, but this sums it up). You could have fooled me. People openly take drugs in Greenwich Village. People privately snort coke on the UES. Crime is an urban issue period. Many People who live outside of New York think the City as a whole is one crime filled cesspool.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM

11,242 posts, read 18,715,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Wait, you don't see crime, people drinking/smoking weed, men catcalling, whatever it is you're posting, in areas below 96th street (don't usually use smilies, but this sums it up). You could have fooled me. People openly take drugs in Greenwich Village. People privately snort coke on the UES. Crime is an urban issue period. Many People who live outside of New York think the City as a whole is one crime filled cesspool.
If you think that now, I wonder what you would've thought of it circa 1975-1980 or so, it was much much worse then.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,961,797 times
Quote:
It's not limited to urban areas only, lol. Suburbs aren't utopias.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:31 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,657,125 times
I'm sorry for this to be happening to you. People who are racist to other people are ignorant. People should be open to new changes around the neighborhood. However, I could understand somewhat their point of views. They feel threaten that Whites are coming to W. Harlem, because they feel that if a lot of White people are coming in, they will get kicked out from W. Harlem. Also they feel that the rent will go up. Hence, W. Harlem will not any longer be their home, because they will have to move to another neighborhood to live.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 AM

10,162 posts, read 20,699,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I am disturbed that there is a few people here who seem to think Harlemites acting in a racially discriminatory way is somehow acceptable becuase they're poor/black. How many of you would defend an Upper Class/White nabe unleashing racial anomosity upon newly arrived Low Income/Minorites? I doubt you would.

Lulz @ white kids wishing for the ghetto to return. Trust me, if things were ever to pop off like during the Crack Epidemic, you'd be the first ones running for your lives over the bridges
I don't think anyone thinks it's acceptable, it's just a reality that you have to deal with. If I know that a place has a reputation for being dangerous and I move there anyway, whose fault is that? I don't see anyone here wishing for the ghetto to return, especially those who have lived through the bad days, and trust me, if things go back to the way they were it won't be just whites running for the hills.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,835,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I don't think anyone thinks it's acceptable, it's just a reality that you have to deal with. If I know that a place has a reputation for being dangerous and I move there anyway, whose fault is that? I don't see anyone here wishing for the ghetto to return, especially those who have lived through the bad days, and trust me, if things go back to the way they were it won't be just whites running for the hills.
This is a really truthful post. Parts of Harlem were always nice and stayed that way even through NYC's darkest days of the heroin and crack epidemics. Now a lot of it has been revitalized, most people that stuck it out through those times, moving forward to the light at the end of the tunnel are very happy about the changes.

People are happy about the mixed economic levels now in Harlem. Except most want more housing for the working/middle class. Most of West Harlem is now coops and condos. Old buildings have gone coop, made affordable for the existing and future tenants. Newer condos have been built on vacant land, where abandoned buildings once housed shooting gallaries, and crack houses. No one misses those things.

The working middle class would like to stay in Harlem, have the chance to send their children to the new high school being built on the new section of Columbia Universities campus that is extending up to W 135th St, this high school will be mostly for the residents of the community. Or the current specialized high school located on City College Campus. They don't want to be pushed out to an area where they won't have these good choices after sticking it out for so long, and working so hard to make the changes that everyone is benefitting from now.

The worries about being pushed out may be more for renters, but this probably all over the city.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,154,837 times
Quote:
A lot of his has to do with perceived gentrification. Harlem for a good forty years has been largely minority, and for a long time the City neglected it, allowed it to become run down, no stores wanted to open in any area above 96th street etc. Now, thanks to lack of affordable housing on the island below 96th Street, you see more and more Whites moving in. A lot of people aren't welcoming of that.
Gentrification is a reality in Harlem. Far from perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City