Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,613,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
That's a good point you've made. I kinda feel the same way in that the Bronx is really the only borough left where working class folk (people of color especially) can afford to live in and have very good access to Manhattan. Although the Bronx is slowly but surely getting the facelift that it desperately needs, I am worried that it is not for the benefit of those working class/low-income residents, but really for the yuppies and upper-middle income peeps that are getting ready to settle in. The Bronx is really NYC's best kept secret and I hope it stays that way. *Keeps fingers crossed*

Yeah, that's one that about the Bronx I love as well. What I like about it is that its more ethnically and racially than people might as expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 AM

144 posts, read 322,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiArnaz1986 View Post
Yeah. Mott Haven is becoming very nice and artsy I heard.
I know personally of of 3 Halloween "jumpings" between 138th and 145th Willis/3rd ave. What about the home invasion robbery just yesterday on 141st and 3rd where they tied the family up?

There's no significant form of artsy in Mott Haven - unless your referring to the 3 block radius past 137th street thats "separated" by the Major Deegan.

I saw 1 hipster at Western Beef on 141st.. yesterday... I guess thats a good sign...

Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
Somesnapper are you from the Bronx or "just moved in." If you want to talk about crime in "good neighborhoods" I would be happy to post those for you. I can tell you as a 3rd generation Mott Haven resident, the area is significantly better than it was in almost every category. Does that make it perfect? Heck no..where is? Is it for everyone? Nope.

What is good about the area? You have THE BEST overall transportation network outside of Manhattan, including numerous main highway arteries to New England, Jersey, LI, and Manhattan, as well as a plethora of short commutes to the city via Metro North and Subway (especially short in the Southern Bronx).

You have the MOST diverse housing stock in the city, including brownstones, seaside bungalows, large estates, 5 story walk-ups, co-ops, mansions, new 2 and 3 family homes, new afforable housing buildings, housing projects, private communities, as well as large planned communities (like parkcheter and co-op city). And all those housing options are the most affordable in the city (for the most part).

We have the most parkland of all the boroughs, and growing. In fact, Bloomberg is on a mission to literally reforest the Southern Bronx, like Mott Haven, with 1,500 more trees being planted this Fall alone. The entire Southern Bronx will be reforested within 2 years.

We also have the famed Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, and of course, the best Little Italy on Arthur Avenue.

Let's not forget, we also have the most educational insitutions of ANY borough, including Lehman, Mount St. Vincent, Fordham, SUNY Maritime, Manhattanville, Hostos, and others.

And last but not least, the Bronx is now the mecca for immigrants coming to NYC, and relocating from other parts of the city. People are choosing to move to the borough in record numbers for all these reasons, inlcuding the Southern Bronx, which is being repositioned as the home for the working/middle class of the city with the amenities/housing/infrastructure to support the population.

Don't believe me? Email me and I will be glad to show you.

GO BRONX.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Somesnapper are you from the Bronx or "just moved in." If you want to talk about crime in "good neighborhoods" I would be happy to post those for you. I can tell you as a 3rd generation Mott Haven resident, the area is significantly better than it was in almost every category. Does that make it perfect? Heck no..where is? Is it for everyone? Nope.

What is good about the area? You have THE BEST overall transportation network outside of Manhattan, including numerous main highway arteries to New England, Jersey, LI, and Manhattan, as well as a plethora of short commutes to the city via Metro North and Subway (especially short in the Southern Bronx).

You have the MOST diverse housing stock in the city, including brownstones, seaside bungalows, large estates, 5 story walk-ups, co-ops, mansions, new 2 and 3 family homes, new afforable housing buildings, housing projects, private communities, as well as large planned communities (like parkcheter and co-op city). And all those housing options are the most affordable in the city (for the most part).

We have the most parkland of all the boroughs, and growing. In fact, Bloomberg is on a mission to literally reforest the Southern Bronx, like Mott Haven, with 1,500 more trees being planted this Fall alone. The entire Southern Bronx will be reforested within 2 years.

We also have the famed Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, and of course, the best Little Italy on Arthur Avenue.

Let's not forget, we also have the most educational insitutions of ANY borough, including Lehman, Mount St. Vincent, Fordham, SUNY Maritime, Manhattanville, Hostos, and others.

And last but not least, the Bronx is now the mecca for immigrants coming to NYC, and relocating from other parts of the city. People are choosing to move to the borough in record numbers for all these reasons, inlcuding the Southern Bronx, which is being repositioned as the home for the working/middle class of the city with the amenities/housing/infrastructure to support the population.

GO BRONX.

That's right. People underestimate the bronx frequently. They always see the movies on TV and think that the bronx is that bad, when in fact the bronx is not that bad. Mod cut: not a chat board

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-04-2009 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Not a chat board

Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
in my opinion the bx has the most down to earth flyest papis on da planet just showin a little love to the x

Old 12-28-2009, 03:24 PM

730 posts, read 2,047,385 times
Quote:

GO BRONX.
Not to mention we have the only freshwater river within the city, the Bronx River! And not to mention parks are being created by the river that were once industrial wastelands as well as new housing is getting built in long-abandoned areas.

Take Washington Avenue from 167th to 163rd Sts for example. As a young child in the late 1990s, that part of Washington Av was empty. No one lived there. With the development of housing and some businesses in the 2000s, many people live there now. In addition, immigration has progressed, evident in the African Mosques along 3rd Avenue and 166th St in Morrisania.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:46 PM

68 posts, read 297,001 times
Yeah, if I were a tourist, I can see why Bronx is underrated. It just doesn't have the monuments, sights and places that other boroughs have such as Manhattan's skyline, Empire State Building, Times Square, or Queen's Unisphere, Pavilion Tower, and Brooklyn's Coney Island. And going into transportation, yeah the subway system is all over the Bronx going to Manhattan and going from places in Bronx to other parts, just hop on a bus.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:13 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUR_Quarterback_12 View Post
Yeah, if I were a tourist, I can see why Bronx is underrated. It just doesn't have the monuments, sights and places that other boroughs have such as Manhattan's skyline, Empire State Building, Times Square, or Queen's Unisphere, Pavilion Tower, and Brooklyn's Coney Island. And going into transportation, yeah the subway system is all over the Bronx going to Manhattan and going from places in Bronx to other parts, just hop on a bus.
The bronx zoo, the biggest metropolitan zoo in the united states, is actually a bigger draw than the unisphere or coney island. Than you have the ny botanical garden. Along with Yankee stadium. The bronx might get the most tourist outside of manhattan. Im not sure though

Old 12-31-2009, 09:13 AM

1,804 posts, read 2,355,982 times
Quote:

GO BRONX.
what mansions are there in the bronx?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM

44 posts, read 137,246 times
I hate to say it, but the stigma got to me. When I lived down there, I never went to the Bronx, which was probably very hypocritical since I was living in Newark. I never hear anything but complaints about crime and cleanliness when it comes to the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City