U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 13,593 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved to Manhattan. Apparently in this building they don't use fly window screens - so if I want some iar I have to get tons of flies and mosquitos with it ... the window is one of those that you can't open completely, you pull and only a space would open, I was wondering if there was an option to put a screen there anyway ... or maybe they don't use it because people use the vent option of the A/C machine installed in each apt?
I dont get it ....... is your apt the same way? How do you change the air in the room?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 PM

7,212 posts, read 12,064,230 times
What you need is some adjustable window screens - should be available cheaply ($10 each or so) at hardware stores and Home Depot.

Adjustable Window Screens - QUALITY SCREEN CO, Window Screens & Solar Screen Supplies, Kits & Parts Online

Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
Mosquitoes in Manhattan????? I've lived here my whole life and have always opened the windows with no screens and NEVER have I EVER in more than 50+ years have I EVER been bothered by a mosquito in Manhattan.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,929,214 times
Depends on which floor your apartment is located because, unless caught in an updraft, flies and mosquitos won't go up beyond a certain height above the sidewalk.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:03 AM

12,318 posts, read 12,046,488 times
For some reason the windows they put in all these newer apartments, never have screens. They only open (if your lucky) to a certain point and you can never ever clean them from outside. I can never understand that Manhattan is all about views and the windows in the apartments are filthy. Just look around, most of the windows are disgusting. UGH !

I will take my regular double hung, tilt in windows with screens anyday. At least they are easy to clean.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 AM

335 posts, read 867,619 times
Your point about cleanliness is the reason most windows don't have screens. They are hard to clean, and get dirty easily, and people taking them in and out of windows with pedestrians below is a recipe for disaster. I took all of the screens out of the windows in my apartment as soon as I moved in, and we are on a low floor. There are no bugs -- I am more concerned about a pidgeon flying in, but that has yet to happen.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM

12,318 posts, read 12,046,488 times
I agree with that. But even without screens all the soot from the cars and just air makes the windows filthy.
Believe me, I look and I have yet to see many clean windows. I don't understand why they can't make windows that are all able to tilt i, or swivel in so the outsides can be cleaned from the insides, thus safety for all.
Then with the walls of glass, I hope for the price the people pay for the apartments they have window washers more than once a year.

I just hate dirty windows, it drives me crazy...... just my one pet peeve......sorry !

Old 09-25-2009, 02:03 PM

7,903 posts, read 13,928,071 times
I guess if you live pretty far up you wouldn't get mosquitoes but even then you'd be surprised how far those suckers can go up. All it takes is some standing water and some humid weather to attract mosquitoes, so I am not surprised someone would have issues with them in Manhattan.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM

10,353 posts, read 18,805,565 times
i live on the 5th floor and in the summer i might get a mosquito in my apartment, not too often however. but i live in queens.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-26-2009, 02:23 PM

7,212 posts, read 12,064,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i live on the 5th floor and in the summer i might get a mosquito in my apartment, not too often however. but i live in queens.
Yes, the Queens Mosquito prefers a higher flying altitude than the Manhattan Mosquito. Good thing I was paying attention in entomology class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: