Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 29,966 times

Advertisements

I'm from Long Island but Bronx Community college is offering a "wedding planning" course that I want to take. It's every Tuesday night from 6-10. I'm a little nervous about driving to the Bronx by myself and going to this school if it's in a bad area, especially at night. Does anyone know anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:43 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,288,279 times
Its probably not in a great area, but If your driving just pay to park in the parking lot, walk to class and back to your car and then hit the gas. If you don't feel you can pull that off, then maybe you dont really need to take that class

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Well I haven't even looked at the school yet so I wasn't even sure if parking was close to the building or not. I'm a 20 year old girl, I don't really want to be walking around the bronx by myself. But if the parking lot is well lit up and close to the building I'm sure I can handle it.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:03 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,966,138 times
It isn't one of the better areas of The Bronx but they have some great programs and the campus (yes,there is a campus) is pretty secure and there is parking.
Perfectly safe for you to at least check out.
The Bronx isn't as scary as most people think.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It isn't one of the better areas of The Bronx but they have some great programs and the campus (yes,there is a campus) is pretty secure and there is parking.
Perfectly safe for you to at least check out.
The Bronx isn't as scary as most people think.
It sounds like bluedog has been there. I think many have a perception of the entire Bronx of being unsafe. It makes sense to check opinions, but doublecheck that those who you get opinions from actually have been there and are not just going on their perception of the Bronx.

I haven't been to the BCC but I can point you to this old thread on here about it:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...y-college.html

If you are worried about it, perhaps you could find another wedding planning course offered elsewhere- or contact the instructor and ask if he/she teaches any other courses on the same subject at other schools that might be more convenient to where you live.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Thank you!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 PM

18 posts, read 35,373 times
the area is probably scary to you, although university avenue near the school is pretty safe. i don't knwo about parking, but as far as access to teh campus, just like fordham is military strict. you have to tell them who you are here to see when you visit, and they will call that person and verify it, if you don't have a bcc id.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 10,759 times
I attend BCC..the area and the campus are relatively safe. I would recommend that around that time you do not use the back entrance/exit of the campus. Its kind of dark and lonely and the front entrance of the campus is always busy, safer and there are bus stops with people always waiting.My sister takes classes around that time and she thankfully has never had a problem. There is a parking lot on campus but thats an ordeal..you need to pay in advance for the semester etc. I dont think there are any parking services around there. Other option is street parking which is relatively hard specially in the front entrance of the campus. Hope this helped.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:54 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,494,290 times
I used to service electronic equipment there and its a relatively decent drive just off the Major Deegan and up the hill a few blocks. All in all I've been all over the Bronx and often to some shady project buildings and never had any problems. Most people don't have any reason to bother you.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,926,586 times
I used to attend bronx community college before I graduated and then upgraded to John Jay. The area surronding bronx community college The campus itself is nice and has nice scenic views of new jersery, manhattan, riverdale section of the bronx and the henry hudson bridge. The rotunda building is famous for its busts of educated leaders and politicians. Off campus is ok but pretty safe the area outside of the campus is not so ok and sometimes can get pretty dangerous espicially during the summertime. IF your driving the parking lot is a safe bet and theres lots of parking and the peace officers that patrol the campus are pretty cool and friendly. If your getting off the 4 train from burnside walking up that hill is hell. The only thing I loved about the area of the bronx community college was the scenic views and the vibrant dominican culture which spills over from washington hieghts. I picked up merengue and bachata from attending bronx community college. Good luck with your wedding planning course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City