Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 AM

37 posts, read 87,412 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a good image of the Manhattan Bridge to use for a computer background. For some reason I can find it.

Does any one have, or can anyone link a image taken with the bridge tower between the buildings on Washington St.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 AM

154 posts, read 535,887 times
manhattan bridge - Google

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-28-2009 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Saying "Google is your friend" is not helpful -- thanks.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace09 View Post
Yes, me and Google spend lots of time together, but none of these are high quality computer back ground images.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-28-2009 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
This one is available for download for noncommercial uses (see the terms of the creative commons license--down on the bottom right of the screen there is a link that says "Some rights reserved." for restrictions) If you click on "all sizes" above the photo and download the original size, you should have sufficient resolution.

NYC - Brooklyn - DUMBO: Manhattan Bridge on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/3574175923/ - broken link)

For all NYC lovers, I want to give a shout out to wallyg of flickr, who has gone to many, many NYC neighborhoods and uploaded his photos. I've done the same but haven't ever been able to find the time to upload anything. One day.

If you don't want this one, Flickr has many more but check to verify that the copyright is not reserved first. The default is copyright protection but many flickr users, like wallyg, partially or completely waive it.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks, thats what i was looking for. I love the way the buildings frame it, One Upon a Time and Scent Of a Woman make great use of it.

I am going to have to go down and take a few pictures in October when we take our vacation.

The Ferrari test drive scene in Scent of a Woman is great. Is it possible to get both bridges in a picture looking across the water to Manhattan, or do the buildings prevent you from backing up far enough.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:27 PM

Oh Cool, I never noticed the Empire State Building framed between its legs before.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp23g7 View Post
Is it possible to get both bridges in a picture looking across the water to Manhattan, or do the buildings prevent you from backing up far enough.
It's sort of possible. From the promenade in Brooklyn Heights and other places, such as the base of Old Fulton Street, you can see both bridges quite clearly with midtown Manhattan way off in the background. From John Street, you can see them with lower Manhattan, but it's hard to get far enough back to take a decent picture.

There are great views of the two bridges in Manhattan. Hard to take a picture, but the northbound FDR below the Brooklyn Bridge has a great view. The South St Seaport also, on the NE corner. And along South Street between the bridges is an interesting vantage point in that you see the bridges almost appear to converge on the Brooklyn side.

If you are really in the mood to explore and have a long lens, you can get a picture of the Williamsburg Bridge as well as the Manhattan and Brooklyn, and the lower Manhattan skyline, from Grand Ferry Park at the very western end of Grand St in Williamsburg. Quite a good view of the Williamsburg and an interesting perspective on midtown too.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post

There are great views of the two bridges in Manhattan. Hard to take a picture, but the northbound FDR below the Brooklyn Bridge has a great view. The South St Seaport also, on the NE corner. And along South Street between the bridges is an interesting vantage point in that you see the bridges almost appear to converge on the Brooklyn side.

I will have to try this. Looks Like you can get a really neat picture.

I Google street view'ed this, on the corner of Catherine Slip and South Street. How tall is that wall and whats on the other side of it?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 PM

Doh, i just went further down, looks like you can get a good view from the sidewalk under the hiway

Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times
My profile pic.. I took while driving in to work 1 morning over the Manhattan Bridge... Don't know why I took it. It was a pretty ugly day too. I guess I was bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: