Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:06 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,310,726 times

Advertisements

The insurance company may not care, but you can be issued tickets for failing to register the car/change driver's license. If one moves permanently to NYC, that has to be done within 30 days of permanent residency in New York.

NYS DMV - Definition of a NYS Resident

In the example you cited, the car belonged to a non-resident, as it was not your car, so the insurance company may not care about the situation, though some do assess higher premiums based upon where the car is parked. If you were the owner, and used your mother's address to register the car for less expensive insurance, that's insurance fraud, because you live permanently in the city, yet have the car registered elsewhere, where you do not live.

You can have cars registered in other states, but those are the cars parked at that address, since that's not fraud as the vehicle is not routinely parked in New York.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,425 times
NY CAR INSURANCE IS OVER AND OVER HIGHEST PRICES !!!...
WHY? because the STIGMA of NY ... this city SUCKS !!..
I PAY $220 WITH GEICO no accidents clean driver license , NO TICKETS CLEAN CLEAN..
i live in Long Island , Dix Hills NY 11746
i have the lowest car insurance , i drive a Ford Taurus SE 2002
IM 35 YEARS OLD .. devorce i drive for pleasure 9thousand miles per year
so i tried to find better quote ... but NOTHING !!...
this state SUCKS !!!...

how much money i invested already with a car who cost me $1,200...
my car has 83thousand miles... so who have a real ANSWER FOR THIS?????...

i wait for your answer guys !

best

Carlo
NY-Long Island.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-17-2013 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,183,609 times
When I first moved from Queens to Manhattan, my Geico premiums went down!!! Same answers.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,151,073 times
Cheap and NYC do not go hand-in-hand, unless you live in the very poorest of areas

Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,049,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
And, that's insurance fraud, which is one reason why insurance rates are so high for those who play by the rules. Fewer cars registered leads to higher rates of loss by zip code, among the pool of registered cars. A car can legitimately be registered at a second home, provided that's where the car is garaged, not as a means to dodge insurance premiums, and the car is actually garaged at that location.
Its called "rate jumping" and,whether its fraud or not, as one poster said its tolerated by the insurance companies. My brother in law works for allstate and even he does it. They know people do it and dont care. When they accept you as an insured, they must pay any claim. Worse that can happen is they can charge you the back premiums should you get a big claim and they find out you rate jumped.

Friend of mine who lives in queens finally insured his car at my house in long island. He got hit with a $4,500 premium after getting two speeding tickets in a row, in the same location from the same cop ( yeah, he is an idiot). His premium dropped to $1,000 with geico even with the tickets.

Theft and vandalism are the reason the insurance companies charge high rates in the city. In addition, most people park their cars on the street away from their homes. On long island, your car is either in your driveway or garage.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,496,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The insurance company may not care, but you can be issued tickets for failing to register the car/change driver's license. If one moves permanently to NYC, that has to be done within 30 days of permanent residency in New York.

NYS DMV - Definition of a NYS Resident

In the example you cited, the car belonged to a non-resident, as it was not your car, so the insurance company may not care about the situation, though some do assess higher premiums based upon where the car is parked. If you were the owner, and used your mother's address to register the car for less expensive insurance, that's insurance fraud, because you live permanently in the city, yet have the car registered elsewhere, where you do not live.

You can have cars registered in other states, but those are the cars parked at that address, since that's not fraud as the vehicle is not routinely parked in New York.
Yeah, I did change my driver's license over to a NYS one as soon as I moved here. In my case, I wasn't the owner of the car, so I couldn't have registered it here if I wanted to.

After that car died and I purchased another one, in my own name, then I had to register it at my real address and watch my premiums take a big jump.

And yeah, if I had legally owned the car, but was still keeping it registered back at mom's address, that's a different story.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:56 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,597,926 times
about a year after I got my my 1992 Toyota Tercel new, Allstate came out with a new safe driver program that reduced my premiums from about $1900 per year to about $1600. then about 7 years later my premiums were about as high as they were when i got the car in 1992. this included the defensive driver class and VIN etching and a continuing clean driving record. after i dropped collision i was paying about $700 less per year but it still seemed like a lot to be paying for an old economy car. i guess my 10471 zip code didn't help either
my agent told me it wasn't anything on my record, it was just how it was in NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City